O/T AR-15 ?'s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

O/T AR-15 ?\'s

(where are you smokingun?)

Who of you own them and what do you have? Likes/dislikes? I am trying to figure out what I can get for what cash I have. I do know "about" what I want as a starter gun. Carbine/16"bbl 1-9 twist/upper to have an open site handle BUT on a picatanny(sp) rail and a collapsable stock with a birdcage flashhider. ALL AR's are overpriced off the shelf IMHO. So I'm planning on building my own. (hence the questions) But wondering any thoughts from owners.

On a side note I'm also wanting to do a scratch build of an AK. Pirate has had great write-ups on there thanks to USMCdoc. Have any of you done one of these? Doesn't look to aweful hard for anyone that could build a jeep.

Thanks for any insite you can give.

(PS cost breakdowns would be nice too. I've been checking everywhere I can find but if you have links please share)

Here I come gun show in the middle of jan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 08:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: O/T AR-15 ?\'s

i dont have one ..yet

my brother built one about a year ago from parts he saw listed in Shotgun News, since they have a million ads in there its easy to pick and chose....

he built his so its like an M4...carbine collapsable stock etc....and i think he got it to just about 500$ he said he tried to get good parts, not just the cheapest

he ordered everything, then had a local FFL holder get the reciever for him....he had done it before when he built himself an FAL.

share pctures of your results when you can [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

you got me thinking and drooling and googling and came across this...thought you might find it useful

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 08:52 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

A CJ built from parts would cost you about 80 grand.

Shop for a used one at the show.

BTW, you do not need full auto.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

No full auto for me Larry. Class III is uber $$$$. Can't aford the gun or the paper that it takes to own it.
And Greg Fn/FAL's rock but thats farther down the road. I've wanted a "black" gun since watching SWAT on TV as a kid. I did get to "play"(play..............yea right ........hahaha) with them for a few years but never bought one. When the ban hit some (read a long time ago for you youngins) I hit the gun shows with $1k "knowing" I'd buy one since they were 400 to 600 and it wasn't taking effect for another 8 months. WRONG!. I came home empty handed after looking at crap starting at 1200 and up. Forget that.
I never have extra cash. HOme comes first. Jeep takes whats left. Well I want to try it again while theres a little burning a hole in my pocket. (now thats a rareity!!!)
I went to a bunch of places today to look to see what they had. After all that I called a work friend to see his collection (known him for years and never looked at his guns). He had more AR's that ALL the dealers combined. So I got to fondle a bunch. Including HEAVY (damn!!!!!!heavy) target AR's down to AR pistols.(leagal marked receivers ones) I won't go into the rest of his collection. His safe was almost a walk in closet size. Lets just say I had a chubby.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 10:04 PM
Veteran

http://www.colt.com/mil/images/M4Com.jpg

That's what I have with a nice little suppressor when I need to be quiet :-) Work issue though.

I'd have embeded the pic, but for some reason my buttons for smilies and UBB aren't working.

-web
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Well I can Add that I have been issued 3. 2 Of them were almost useless in my book, but we use them for hunting people.

First one and best was actualy a Bushmaster A4 flat top. 14.5 inch barell, Halo sights that were removable, touch light and full auto. Stock colapsed and sling made it hang just perfect behind your back when I needed my hands. I never had 1 Jam ever. Fired thousands of rounds with it, not to mention since I had the first full auto around what other guys fired through it. We even let one of the guys shoot towards us so we could see how that Phantom flash suppressor worked.

Next issue was a Colt m-16 that we got from the military. It needed alot of work and saw alot of harsh use. It was refirbed for me and served it's purpous but I wouldn't pay for it.

I now have a Colt ar 15 with a bull barrel, it is overly heavy, stock is fixed and it jams on occasion. I do not like it. It is tight whare it should be loose and loose where it should be tight. It is very accurate but I do not like it's weight, length, finish, trigger, stock or flash suppressor.

I want my M4 Back....

Now want to talk crappy shotguns I got one of them too.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

[homer drool] yup thats what I want[homer drool off]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 06:21 AM

ak-47.........nuff said
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yup thats what I want

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, why, that's one of them there ASSAULT rifles that shoot people, aint it? That thang's DANGEROUS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode