Very annoying TJ dome light "feature" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 12:07 AM
Howe

Very annoying TJ dome light \"feature\"

New question. I couldn't find anything in a search for this. Does anyone know how to stop the TJ dome light from coming on when the key is turned off? I don't know what year they added this "feature" but it is really annoying when you come home late (as in tonight) and the light comes on and blinds you when you turn the key off. It still does it when the door switch fuse is removed. I like having a dome light when I need it but if I want the light on I will turn it on myself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 12:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Very annoying TJ dome light \"feature\"

My 97 works off the door switches, I would pull the bulb but I have a rechargable flachlight on the tranny tunnel. So if I need it I can just reach down for it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 06:15 AM

It's probably controlled by the onboard computer. Ask the dealership service manager if the function can be changed by setting a code in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Way Outta Control

May I suggest you make up a <u>Rubicon Bypass Switch</u> and couple it with this added feature:

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Veteran

It would be nice if it had an off switch right on the dome light (like most Japanese cars do). I made a switch like LEVE suggested. Works great!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Howe

That's a good idea on the door switch bypass Leve. I'll probably get the parts and do that. If my dealer can't help me I guess I will have to add a switch to break the circuit as MTPockets said since the circuit that turns the light on as the key is turned off is independent of the door switch circuit (it still works with the fuse pulled). I think I will try to find a drawing for that circuit and work from there. If it's not controlled in the computer it may be as simple as snipping a wire somewhere. I have a 97 shop manual but I think this was added much later. Anyone have a more recent manual that would show this?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Way Outta Control

If you'd fill out your profile, that'd help... so I can send you a 2000 FSM wiring diagram (3.4 mb).
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 01:27 PM
Howe

Thanks Leve. I have updated my profile to include my email address.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 12:34 AM
Addict

[ QUOTE ]
If my dealer can't help me I guess I will have to add a switch to break the circuit as MTPockets said since the circuit that turns the light on as the key is turned off is independent of the door switch circuit (it still works with the fuse pulled).

[/ QUOTE ]

key phrase in this is "still works with fuse pulled"
this indicates that there is another power feed to this circuit--not sure how accessable the wiring is but if you cant find a diagram i would pull the light and see how many wires feed it, more than likely the one from the fuse is tied in with another feed from somewhere else--if this is the case you should be able to determine which is which and cut and seal the "mystery" feed

as always--my ideas[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] are used at your own risk with no guarantee expressed or implied[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Howe

Well, after reviewing the electrical diagrams that LEVE was so kind as to send me and talking to my local service dept, I have come to the conclusion that the "light on with key off feature" must be in the PCM and I am probably stuck with it unless I want to put an overhead defeat all switch on the sound bar. I'll probably do that one of these days in my spare time. Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode