iPod Installation? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 12:31 AM
mikeinta

iPod Installation?

Has anyone done thier own hardwire installation of an iPod dock in thier Jeep? I have a 97' TJ with a CD so the cassette adapter won't work. In Los Angeles the wireless is useless.

Any play by play installation... with the ideal of including pictures would be appreciated.

Michael.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 01:12 AM

Re: iPod Installation?

If your CD player has either a line in, or setup for remote CD changer, you can set up a cable that will go from the back and plug into the headphone jack.
It can be bought or made.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 08:55 AM

Monster actually makes a tuner that plugs into the cigarette lighter and the bottm which sounds way better than the headphone jacks. This also allows you to only use the head nit volume which keeps distortion to a minimum. I have tried it both ways and found that the radio tuner works best. You can easily move it from one vehicle to the next which is also a plus for the price of 2 nice rca cables and 20 bucks to fish the wires in the dash of two cars you can get the plug and play device. again i m really satisfied b/c this can be used in anyones ride with a regular 12 volt socket (ciarette lighter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 10:22 AM

I think he's concered about getting interferance from other transmitters near him. IS that possible or is the range pretty low?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

My experience with those things is that the transmitters really don't go that far, and unless there is one in the car next to you, and they're on the same frequency, then you might have an issue. I don't know around you though. It works off the same principal as those Ron Popeil Mr. Microphone's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The bigger issue with the transmitters is they send a signal to a FM frequency...and in areas like LA there is a radio station at almost every frequency, and mostly they override the signal coming from the in car transmitter...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:32 PM
mikeinta

Yeah, LA is full of stations on every channel and eveyone else running around with transmitters. I want to hardwire it so it runs like an aux, CD, or tape connection. I don't need to get the display in the radio, just direct wire and volume control.

Thx
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 04:39 PM

how about a wired FM modulator. thats what i run on mine. its basically a box that the antenna plugs into and then plugs into the antenna jack on the head unit. it has rca cabls to hook up a seperate audio device. you have you choice of frequencies to run on and when its on its over rides the atenna so you wont get any interference from outside sources. it works great and sounds great. i bought mine from crutchfield for about 30 bucks i think.

Http://www.crutchfield.com/
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 09:24 AM
Addict

Finally a question within my expertise [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] wireless fm modulators have crappy sound quality. find out if your radio has cd changer control. Do you have a factory radio or an aftermarket radio? All the major companies have aux inputs for theyre units or even Ipod adapters that allow you to view the Ipod functions on the radio's screen while the unit charges in your glovebox or center console. I have an Alpine head unit model cda9853 And the ipod adapter for that is amazing. The Pioneer one is also amazing. Pioneer radios that are Ipod ready start around 200 bucks. If you have a factory radio with cd changer control there is a company called blitzsafe and one called soundgate that make Ipod input adapters for factory radios. There are more companies that make them but I cant remember them off the top of my head. I will find out for you when I go to work tomorrow. Maybe I can even order it for you then ship it to you if you want I may be able to get a discount at my store. I am the head installer after all.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 11:54 AM
mikeinta

Glad to get info from a hands-on expert. Here's some specs on my unit. I am interested in your additional thoughts on next steps:

Like your's, I have an Alpine head unit model CDM 9823. Not being an expert here, the specs I pulled off from Crutfield say the unit has an aux connection and can run a CD changer by using an optional "M-Bus/Ai-Net cable." They say "Auxiliary Input Ready: With the addition of the optional KCM-122B M-Bus/RCA interface cable, the audio from an auxiliary source can be played through this unit. When the KCM-122B interface cable is used, a CD changer cannot be connected to the head unit."

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-gMg8GSM...0&I=500CDM9823

If you don't mind doing a little "spoon-fed" information for me as a non-expert I'd appreciate it. What cable do I get that connects this Alpine head unit to the iPod? What adapter should I get to run it from my head unit? Then, do you know of any sites that show how to get access to the unit from a Wrangler dash? I can get in to do the work, but finding the step-by-step is always the challenge!

Thanks for your assistance!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode