OT Gutting Wiring Harnesses - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

OT Gutting Wiring Harnesses

I marked to OT to keep the OT Nazis happy but it also applies to jeeps.

I'm getting rid of everything i don't need on my s10 like the egr, ac, power locks/ windows and i have a ton of extra wires. What's the proper way to get them out of the harness? Cut em at the connector and leve them bare? Or is there a better option to make the gutting a little cleaner?

There's so many useless wires and things on my s10 that are hitting the garbage pile I'm guessing i'll knock over 100lbs off it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 07:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OT Gutting Wiring Harnesses

I'm assuming the S10 is fuel injected?
Personally, I think your going to create more problems than you create. Except for the EGR valve, I don't know of anything (engine related) that you can cut out that will improve anything.
Yea, you can gut the AC...that alone will take out almost 100lbs....but it's only one wire.....
You can remove the wires for the power door locks and windows....but unless you also remove the motors, your not gaining much....

I see it as a cost/benifit.....how much time does it take (cost) and how much benifit will you get out of it.

If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

I'm not asking what i can take out but how to do a "clean" job of it.

I don't plan on taking anything engine wise out besides the egr, i even ordred a gm block off plate today at work when i was bored since gm lists one for the 4.3. I don't know if i'd call it broke but now that i've cut off the front clip and am not using the head lights, ac, heat, horn, cruise, power locks/windows (truck has manual doors on it now), factory dash/ cluster, courtsey lights, abs and i'm sure i'm forgetting other things. There's lot of connectors that don't go to anything that look tacky and are just waiting to cuase problems. There's tons of wires that can come out and that engine compartment is so cramped it will help to get rid of everything i can. I have plenty of time right now working from 9-4 with nothing to do at night besides work in my shop since all my buddies are home for break.

It's not costing me much and i might as well do it right while i'm stalled wating for frontend parts. I also wanted to make a new dash/ heater setup/ gauages and swtiches since the factory stuff is cobbed and cobbing stuff together isn't the way to do it. It's starting to bug me when my stuff is 1/2 assed and I know i'm the one that 1/2 assed it and i should do it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 06:07 AM

It's probably prety easy to pull the connector out of the firewall plug if the S-10 has one.

Usually just squeeze the connector with a plier and pull it out. Some have a little tab that you have to press in before you pull it out. Seal the hole up so water doesn't get back in and start tocorrode the rest of the terminals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode