89 YJ Nutter Wires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 09:13 AM
Indulgn

89 YJ Nutter Wires

Ive read that the wiring on a YJ is the same except for on difference in wire color. Theres a Lt Grn instead of Orange at the harness. Im so close to finishing the bypass, but coming out of the Ign Mod I have two harnesses. One goes like this: Orange connects to Lt Grn/Black, Violet goes nowhere, Green connects to Dark Grn/White, and Black/Grn connects to Black, then of course White connects to Yellow, and Red connects to Dk Green. It would sure suck to cut the wrong wires, Im assuming the Lt Grn/Black is the one to cut and connects with the Orange at the Dist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1472207-Jeep007.jpg (431.0 KB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 89 YJ Nutter Wires

Indulgn's picture inline:

Anything newer than a CJ... I'm not so helpful. But what you have is just like a BBD CJ. You might have to trace out a couple of wires to figure the colors out. While the DuraSpark in your picture has different connectors the wire colors on the module are the same as a CJ.

Take a look at this (click it):

<u>I'm told that the wiring on a YJ is the same, except for one difference in wire color --- The wire from MCU harness terminal #47, going through the firewall to the connector at the ignition module, is orange on my CJ, but is light-green on a YJ.</u>

Would be great if you were to take some more pictures and notes on the wire colors. If you can't post them I can, will make it a page if you provide enough detail.

Where is the control module mounted in a YJ?

Hey welcome to the board. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 09:12 AM
Indulgn

The wiring colors on a YJ are not the same as the diagram everyone keeps sending me. In fact, the wiring harness does not enter between the manifold and battery, its on the other side kinda right behind the carb. They are correct in the fact that there are 4 wires at the ign mod and 3 coming out, however, the orange (at least on my jeep) turns to a Lt Grn with Black stripe, thats the one that needs to be cut and jumpered with the orange from the dist. Turned out very well. Lost a little power, but it starts right up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 10:14 PM
Indulgn

Sorry the Pic is so large, but you can see the Orange wire off the ign mod goes to a Lt Grn/Black wire. Thats the one I had to tap into. Worked great but now Im trying to figure out the vac line mess. I read alot about manifold vac versus ported vacuum, thats all cool if you know what the (#*$ those are. I need pics folks, or at least some better diagrams than what Im getting online. I will get some pics tomorrow. I realize its xmas so will greatly appreciate anything later....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 07:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The picture is fine... take some more.

OK, manifold and ported vacuum... do a search on this BBS for "manifold vacuum" and "ported vacuum" there should be some good reading.

The Carter BBD only has one ported vacuum port (that I can find).

Then just do a search for "Nutter", there just might be a few hits.

Now here's what I want to know:

1. Do you have a Timing Light and know how to use it?
2. Do you have a vacuum gauge and know how to use it?

Yes to both... then lets just get to it. A tach would be great also, makes the fine tuning more fine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Knowing what the (#*$ those are just makes it much more easy... So you will have to find out, and we will help.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 08:56 AM
Addict

If you lost power you should check your timing, I had to advance my timing in my YJ about 3 degrees after I did the nutter bypass. It Increased my power greatly. It also pulls smoothly up to about 4000 rpm's [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I plan on getting the Howell tbi kit but this is fine in the meantime. MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode