CJ-7 Lift question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 09:39 PM
jeffeddy

CJ-7 Lift question

If I do 2.5 inch susp lift and possibly a 1 inch body lift do I need to put in a new drop pitman arm or any other mods? or will I be OK? New to all this. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 07:09 AM

Re: CJ-7 Lift question

Welcome to the board! You've come to the right place.

Any suspension lift should have a matching pitman arm drop. At 2 1/2" you could get by without it but here we're strong proponents of a "Do it right the first time" philosophy. Especially when it involves someone else's work and money. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And it doesn't have to be a new pitman arm. There are plenty of vehicles in the junkyards that use the same Saginaw box and have a suitable dropped pitman arm. Just find one that hass the same length - there's no room in a CJ for a longer arm. Some of them have a missing alignment spline that's in the wrong place, but you can correct that with the careful application of a hacksaw.

I don't know offhand what vehicles you should look for, but someone will chime in soon with more info.

Good luck!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Journeyman

I have that plus a 1/2" shackel lift and I did not need to drop the pitman arm. If you find one with just an inch or two of drop I am sure it would not hurt, but don't go much more then that because there is not that much room. I would recommend new shocks and longer brake lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 09:45 AM
Way Outta Control

Why do you want a lift?

How about learning how to wheel a Jeep before you start modifying it? May I suggest you read my <u>LEVE rant on modifications!</u>.

IMHO... forget the lift until you install a winch and roll cage. You might want to read my <u> LEVE rant on installing a full roll cage</u>.

Off-roading a Jeep's 90% driver and 10% rig...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Leve. I was running my CJ7 stock with 31" tires for 4 years before I did a lift. Truth is, it did not help much if any at all...a lift tends to be kind of like alcohol....it makes you think you can do things that you really can't. Learn to drive it with the stock suspension...then by the time you are ready for a lift, you won't need to ask how high....

Personally, I would never to the a body lift. I think they look stupid and do nothing for ground clearance. Additionally....having done the shackle lift...cheap 3" spring lift (and most likely damaging my kidneys), the only lift I would recomend on a CJ is SOA.....unless you have the bucks to spend on decent springs...and those alone will cost you over $1000.

Remember, when you do a lift....it not just the springs...or pitman arm...it's new shocks...longer brake lines...CV driveshaft....the list goes on..

BTW....welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode