Still searching for answers - lifting '03 sahara - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 12:06 AM
John Kilday

Still searching for answers - lifting \'03 sahara

Thanks for all the feedback - (see 11Dec thread: 'Need lift advice for 03 sahara'); this newborn’s eyesight is still very fuzzy but starting to make out some detail in the world of Jeep lifting…

I would like to be able to disconnect & need to know if you think I’ll have rub problems with the following proposed set-up: 2.5” susp lift, 1” BL (is a MML recommended?),
32” or 33”x10.50 tires on the stock 15x8’s (what’s BS on these, 5”?). Would new rims be a must - OR - maybe wheel spacing would be a good thing to do (or would that be unsafe for aggressive off-roading?)?? Maybe I could go to 11.50 or 12.50 with spacers…

I don’t want to lift too high to have to worry about driveline angles. Not ready to invest in re-gearing & don’t want to give up a bunch of HP so can’t go too big on tires (maybe 33’s are a stretch here – whatdya think…)

I just am concerned that 3”lift with 33’s without other mods would put me at risk in different ways. Any thoughts?

When would I need a tranny cooler for my a/t? How much does parts/install typically run on that?

What’s the purpose of a slip yoke eliminator and is it even necessary at above proposal? What’s this cost run?

All the advice so far is greatly appreciated. I can’t wait to figure it all out & get going – but must turn more stones…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 07:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Still searching for answers - lifting \'03 saha

stick to 32's for that and skip the body lift

33 would prolly rub at flex

32 would be nice and stuffable......thats pretty much waht i run 32" + 2" (that actually came out to 2.5" lift)

new rims are a good idea or you will have some issues with tires rubbing the control arms, i run 15x8 rims with 4 or 3.75 back spacing (cant recall which, i think it was 3.75 ) and it doesnt stick out rediculously

never hurts to run a tranny cooler....dont have an auto so i dont know if it'll be important with bigger tires...SYE is good because it shortens the tailshaft of the t-case and allows for less dramatic drive shaft angles

hope that helped some [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 08:10 AM

Wow 4 million questions, i'll see what i can do but first off my pet peve you have a tj or a wrangler, sahara is just an option package that really menas nothing when you go to build up your jeep. All you have different from any other tj is some fancy plastic rockers, wider painted fender flare, some stickers, and different seats. X, SE, Sport, Sahara, all the same thing besides the motor they have, the rubicon that's a little different though still shares 99% of parts with a normal tj. Ok i'm off my soap box.

2.5" suspension + 1" body is a good combo to stay low and run 33's. I ran 32's with 2" spacers and sagged out factory coils. When disconected i would rub on my fenders to the point they had a little bend to them but then i really pushed my old tj.

You don't need a motor mount lift with a 1" body lift, the main reason people to them is to help their rear drive line angles to to move the motor up so they can install a flatter skid plate.

There is nothing wrong with a little tire rubbage on the flares, it won't do any damage and isn't anything to worry about. You could probably still rub 33's with 4.5" of lift but they make something called bump stops. There's no reason not to use bump stops to control your rubbing. You dont need gobs and gobs of flex. I garuentee on the trail a jeep with not a lot of flex and lockers front and rear will drive right by a tj with tons of flex and open diffs.

Wheel Backspacing, you factory backspacing is 5.5" with 15x8 wheels. You will rub on the factory lower control arms when you turn though it's not really a bad thing and there are tons of jeeps out there that rub on them. After running wheel spacers i'm not a huge fan. For jeep steel wheel check out summit racing they have 15x8 black steelies for $36.95 each which is probably less then wheel spacers

A slip yoke eliminator, easiest way to explain one is go under your jeep and look at the style your front drive shaft is and then look at the style of your rear drive shaft. A sye will convert your rear shaft to the same style as your front shaft. With 2-3" of lift you may need to drop your t-case. I know in my old tj with a 4.0/auto and 2" spacers i had minor drive line vibes at 70mph.

I ran 32" swampers with stock 3.55 gears and it wasn't too bad on the road, the 4.0 auto jeeps were never rocket ships but the bigger tires doesn't make them too doggy.

Trans coolers are always a good idea and with tj autos you have to worry about filling the thing with water because water likes to come in the breater. Do some searching for tf999 or tf727 vent mod. I know i ate 2 transmissions because i filled them with water.

Of course going with bigger tires increases your chances of breaking parts.

Look for a local 4x4 or jeep club, start hanging out with them, ride along on a run or 2, ask some questions, see how their rigs are built and how they were in your local terrain. You can ask all the questions you want on the net but it helps to see and have things explained in person. There's also no shame in wheeling a stock jeep, many of us have and still wheel stockers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 08:53 AM
John Kilday

[ QUOTE ]
...sahara is just an option package that really menas nothing when you go to build up your jeep...X, SE, Sport, Sahara, all the same thing besides the motor they have...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind giving too much information & sounding novice (which I am) as opposed to leaving something pertinent out...that approach might turn some folks off but I'll eventually get up to speed with your type of feedback: thanks for working through the pet peve there & giving all the info.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 07:08 PM

Yeah, if you ever meet me you'll get the whole picture. I might come off as an oppinionated helpful @ss on line at times. It's just one of those things that bugs me. I'm sure back in the day i might have called my first jeep a wrangler se but then i realized that it really means nothing when it comes to building it and getting questions answered.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Official Historian

Is it time to post pictures of Andy's Wrangler SE again? lol
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i think the SE is the one he rolled going stright down a gravel road....

the TJ he mangled up and destroyed (then rolled) had a 4.0L i think, so wouldnt be an SE....could be wrong

i think Andys title should be "Jeep Mutliator" instead of "Sawzall Posterboy"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I say if you are trying to save dough Get a 2 inch spacer lift, run 32 inch tires with steel rims offset to about 3.75 and wheel the **** outa it. You will have to replace or extend your shocks but again no biggie.

You can also go 3 inch lift without issues but you are going to have to drop the t case or lift the motor, you decide which you like best. Course I run a 3 inch lift with 32's and it is flexy to the point I rub my fenders good, but lots of other people don't have theat problem.

Next I would be looking at lockers.

Do the vent mod on the auto, or you will fill it with water....

Just realized I have added nothing to this thread!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode