OT Electric bark collars??? pros and cons - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

OT Electric bark collars??? pros and cons

I eat animals on a regular basis and I'm not a raging wacko about creulty to animals. my pup just pulled a year and loves to well Bark. I swear he is like a 15 year old kid arguing with everything you say or do. Granted he barks to go out, Which i am happy for but other times i think he does it just to hear himself. I want to get a bark collar but have never needed one before. anyone have experience with these? I don't need a training collar because besides the barking he is fantastic. Knowing how broad the knowledge is in here and most of us probably have dogs thought i could get some trusted feed back.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: OT Electric bark collars??? pros and cons

Most are shock collars. But there is one that just makes a loud noise that they don't like.
My dogs - 3 German Shephards - used to raise cain in parking lots when someone walked by. I put that collar on the dash - when they barked it made that noise.

It took 2 days.

I saved the shocking collar for the wife.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

do you recall were you got the collar? for your dogs and for the wife! could be a two fer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Personally, I prefer to teach them when to bark.. or more specifically when not to bark, or to shut up on command. I liike the idea of my Dog Barking at someone at the door. Let's that person outside know that there's a big dog on the other side of that door.

Good ways to teach:

a metal can with a handful of pennies. shake it when they bark. Talk about making some noise!

Good ole News paper rolled up and a pop across the nose.

Swift kick to the arse.

All of these followed by a deep stern voice.

But when someone comes knocking at the door, tell the dog to "get 'em" that way they know when it's ok to bark.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I saved the shocking collar for the wife.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even the 'Bunny Huggers' will argue with that!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Way Outta Control

[ QUOTE ]
...Good ole News paper rolled up and a pop across the nose...

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of Bad Guys depend on this training method and will carry a rolled up newspaper to swat a dog. The dog doesn't care if it's the bad guy or the owner who's swatting him. Training takes over and he goes back to his corner to nurse a hurt muzzle.

Years ago I had a Wolf/German-Sheppard mix. She was leashed and we were walking down a street in civilization. A guy walked by her and swatted her on the nose with his newspaper as we walked buy. Granted it was a light swat but a swat none-the-less

It was all I could do to restrain that dog from tearing that guys arm off. It was all I could do to keep myself from dropping the leash. But the fact was that she didn't cower. She was a great dog, she knew who to bite and who not to bite and fiercely loyal to my family. That's my definition of a great dog.

Some people are just idiots...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 05:07 PM
edwardscj

I also prefer to train them when to bark and not. Barking at the correct time with praise and/or a doggie biscuit, a command voice of "no bark" at the incorrect times. My Jack Russell terrorists have done well with this training.

I agree with LEVE on the use of a newspaper.

Some professional obedience trainers may suggest other methods.

Barring that, and you don't want any barking at all, there are "no-shock" collars out there that will release an unpleasant scent (to dogs, such as lemon) when the dog barks. My veterinarian wife prefers this collar to the shock collars. Do a Google search.

Best of luck.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 05:37 PM

take the time to train the dog not to bark instead of looking for the shortcut........look at it this way.....would you put that collar on a 5 yr. old to teach then to talk at the right momment?

there are tons of books and web sites that are geared towards training a dog to do anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode