anyone use ebay to sell a vehicle? ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

anyone use ebay to sell a vehicle? ?

has anyone used ebay to sell a vehicle before?

what was your impression?
do you feel you got what your vehicle was worth? (or more)

any input welcome [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 03:21 AM
Old Hand

Re: anyone use ebay to sell a vehicle? ?

Yes I have sold a car on there. Did I get what it was worth?
Yes and then some. I bought a 1972 Datsun 1200, knowing that is was worth more than the $100 that I paid for it. I sold the car for $2025.00 to a guy in FL (Im in WA), I can only guess what he paid for shipping.

The car had been stored in a garage for 10 yrs. I had it towed to my house, put a battery in it and as soon as the (10 yr old) fuel hit the carb it fired right up. Kinda like this one except it didnt have the 440+HP rotory motor

This will probably not answer your question though, will it?

Mike
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 04:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Give me 6 more days and I'll tell you my impression
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 05:02 AM
Enthusiast

When you sell on ebay you can set a starting bid, the lowest amount of money you'd be willing to sell the vehicle for. Also, you can reserve the right to stop the auction at any time if you dont like the way its heading, or you sell it outside of ebay.
I shopped around on ebay a lot for a CJ before I bought one 2 months ago. If it's a jeep you're selling they seem to do real well.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 06:51 AM

I tried to sell my wife's Lexus RX300 on Ebay last year. I had many bids, but never made it to the reserve. My advice:

Start your price at about 1/2 of what you want to sell for (it creates excitement). Put in LOTS of good pictures (makes people feel comfortable with the transaction). Set reserve for absolute lowest you will take. Make sure to list any problems (at the end, after all the good stuff). List all your legal stuff (as is, etc). I would suggest Buy it now for slightly more than reserve, but that's just me.

My impression is that cars sell on Ebay for slightly less than the non-computer market. BUT often you can sell something on Ebay which you would never have founda buyer for otherwise. For example unique vehicles that not very many people are interested in.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:26 AM

I agree with D7Guy, Jeeps do really well. just keep in mind that friday or saturday is the best bay to end the auction. and consider this spring and fall sells alot of jeeps through ebay maybe 2 or 3 times as much as now. But the market bears the amount. i would say themore informed buyer would shop now, and if money is what your lookin for, the dumber the better. Just look around ebay and ask some sellers how they are doin.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:50 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I tried the computer-selling market (not ebay, but similar.)

Got emails from people wanting me to drive the car to Boston and put it on a train for Canada for them, people wanting to know shipment details, how bad is the paint, how shiny is it, etc.

Open-ended questions like paint can't be answered well. Something that I think is in great shape, someone else can think is in crappy shape.

For me, I'll stick to the local want-ad rag. Call me, come by, take a look at it, up, down, underneath, drive it, etc. Make me an offer, take it home.

No ifs, ands, or buts. You know what you get, before you buy it, not after.

I'll never buy or sell a car that I can't drive to and go look at, or the buyer can't come look at personally.

I know a guy out here on the east coast who sold a truck on ebay to some guy in Idaho. Truck had some big $ parts in it, impressive list of components, but was a huge pile of crap, for various reasons. Build quality, state of tune, etc. Looked great in photos, but ran like crap, handled like crap, etc.

The poor guy in Idaho paid like $10,000 for this thing. I can't imagine how bad his day was when the thing arrived in Idaho.

So, even if I pay a few hundred bucks more for my stuff, or get a few hundred less, at least I'm not buying a $10,000 turd.

Just my $0.02
Pete
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Old Hand

Iv got a 64 Willys CJ-5 with 22k miles on it,, Im second owner of it & installed new springs & new brakes ,,, Was checking the base's on E-bay ,,, one 56 Willys CJ-5 with 50k miles on it old springs new tires & paint went for 4 grand ,, I wasnt thinking about selling mine but that could change ,,
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 08:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Have not sold a vehicle, but, I bought my CTD off ebay...I think I got a better deal than I could have gotten local...If I could even have found one local. I had been looking for 4 months with not a single 2500 or 3500 in the Central NC area that was in reasonable shape at a reasonable price. My seller wasn't very specific in his add about the condition of the truck...and he only had 4 pictures. Part of is was, he'd had it for 2 years, done little or nothing to it and knew almost nothing about it. There were 6 bids on the truck early in it's listing, then nothing till I bid an hour before the end of auction. All this leads to a great price. Most of the dealers that are prowling ebay, won't touch a vehicle without good info. So they left it alone...and I got a good deal.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 08:46 AM
Addict

Seller beware on ebay. I sold my Volkswagen Jetta on ebay and finally did end up selling it for what I wanted to get but at the same time some guy in belgium said he wanted to buy the car and sent me a thousand dollars more than I was asking for it and it was after the car was already sold. He told me to cash the "bank checks" and send the money to his shipper so that his shipper could pick up a car somewhere else and to keep a hundred dollars for myself for my trouble. I cashed the "bank of america bank checks" and went to western union and wired the cash to belgium trying to be the helpful person that I am and a month later the bank contacted me and told me that the checks were returned and I had to pay them 7000 dollars. After contacting the police and the FBI I was told that nobody could do anything due to the small amount of money we were talking about. so I got scammed out of 7000 dollars and almost scammed out of my car. A 1999 wolfsburg edition vw jetta show car. So be careful selling your car on ebay and if it seems too good to be true....it probably is!
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode