Need lift advice for 03 sahara - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 03:50 PM
John Kilday

Need lift advice for 03 sahara

Im new to off-roading; a real greenhorn (sorry in advance if my thinking or terminology is off). I got my first Jeep (03 Sahara w/ 4.0 L, auto trans, In-line 6, 39K miles) this July. Love off-roading in the many mountainous trails in/around NE Tenn. Would like to lift but am a bit blown away right now with all the things to consider

I expect to be going on off-roading day trips (~3-5 hrs of decently difficult mountainous trails every third or fourth weekend). What repercussions would I need to consider when lifting 3 inches? (driveline angles, axle gearing adjustments, overall handling and smoothness of ride, etc.) Also, what size tires at this height lift would be the biggest I should go to while keeping the stock 15 x 9.50 wheels? At what tire size should I expect rubbing fenders/wheel wells without modifying axles, getting new wheels, adding spacers, etc.? How would a 3 lift coupled with the largest recommended tire affect the life of my transmission? Also, would I need to consider making any adjustments to the transmission and axle gearing? Hopefully Im worrying about way too much stuff at only a 3 of liftbut you never know.

Ive heard that pretty aggressive off-roading with body lifts leads to the body shifting around on the frame. Should I avoid body lifts because of this?

Can you give me any personal experience feedback or opinions on different combinations of budget boosts, body lifts and lift kits? If the downside of body lifts and budget boosts are not too bad, I might consider either or both with a shorter lift kit (expense is my main consideration in this line of thinking)

Im also seeing options such as brake line extensions, transfer case shifter linkage relocation brackets, anti-sway bar disconnects, etc. more options I need to consider, huh

With all Im asking, I kinda feel like the kid brother that wont stop asking questions. Ill gladly try to piece together any information I can get from you all here. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 04:12 PM

Re: Need lift advice for 03 sahara

run a search on th bbs on lift kits boo koo info. just takes some time for your application. with slightly more aggressive tires you'll be amazed.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:07 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

With a 3" lift you should not need extended brake lines, regearing or anything other than larger tires. You should be able to run 31-32" tires with no rubbing. Won't affect transmission life or anything else. After running this setup for awhile, you will probably be looking to go with larger lift, lockers, gears, etc. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Most of us are here because we weren't afraid to ask questions and got hooked on off-roading. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:58 PM

i run a 3.5" Rubicon express kit. the kit was very complete and came with everything that i needed to do the job. At first i ran 32x11.50 tires on 15x8 rim.(not sure if about ur stock rims as far as backspacing and concerns with rubbing.) I ran with the stock axle ratio(3.07) for over a year and the only problem i had was decreased gas milage. you should be fine with a 3 inch lift and 32-33 inch tall tires. the backspacing on the stock rims is the only thing you may have to worry about depending on the width of the tire you go with. maybe someone can help you out here since im not too sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode