t150 trans seals - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

t150 trans seals

Yesterday I was replacing the seals on my t150, when I went to replace the front seal, I took of the cover and the seal seemed to be on backwards, the flat metal portion of the seal was facing in and the rubber seal part was facing outwards, this was the first time I've ever replaced seals on a jeep, I'm a Volvo mechanic and when we install seals they are installed the opposite way, with the seal facing inwards. When I went to replace the rear seal, I took off the gears that connect to the transfer case, I was surprised to find that there was no seal at all, their was a place for a seal but it looked like there was never one installed. I'm assuming that it's not too imparitvie because it looks like their are passages for fluid to flow between the trans and t-case, but it struck me as odd because in every exploded view of the trans they show a rear seal, is it necessary? and does it go on like the front seal with the flat metal part inside and the rubber seal facing out? Also is their a torque spec for the large nut on rear/output
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 10:46 AM

Re: t150 trans seals

My guess: Some seals are double-lip, and prevent passage of fluid equally well (nearly) in either direction. If you look closely at the part that contacts the shaft you will see that it forms a 'V' with the tops of the V touching the shaft. The way they go in is probably to make it easy to install and replace.

Single-lip seals have only half of the V. They are installed so that the edge slopes toward the flow it's trying to prevent.

I can't help with specifics of the T150. Could it be that a 2WD application needs a seal to keep the juice out of the tail case, which isn't necessary, when it's bolted to a transfer case?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Official Historian

My brother's wagoneer didn't have a seal between the T-15 and dana 20 either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:20 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

When I first got my jeep, the T150 kept puching lube into the t-case, which in turn became too full and puched it out the vent. When I took them apart, no seal between the two. I figured even if thre wasn't supposed to be a seal, no harm in installing one to stop the unwanted flow from tranny to t-case.

I think the front seal in mine was a single lip and installed like Jim said with the lip angled against towards the direction you dont want oil to flow.. like this [\__oil]

Once I put the rear seal in I no longer had issues with fluid seeping into the t-case and everything seemed to run fine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode