OT -- Canada wants MORE crime? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

OT -- Canada wants MORE crime?

According to this article, Canada's liberals might try to make handguns illegal.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051208/wl_nm/politics_dc_1

Somebody should show them what's happened in Australia where the violent crime rate has radically INCREASED since they collected the guns.

They never learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 02:14 PM

Re: Canada wants MORE crime?

We have an election coming in January. The current Liberal government is ruling as a minority. Little is likely to change and political desperation abounds. This is a meaningless proposal. The proposal is to ban all handguns EXCEPT for collectors, target shooters and law enforcement. Huh? That is exactly the current state of the law. So what is he trying to pull with this anouncement? We got laws piled up to the rooftops, what we need is enforcement, prosecution and penalty. You can kill someone here and get out of jail in less than 10 years. Thats BS. You should get released when the victim comes back to life.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 03:11 PM

Since when did you get Canadian citizenship Rich?

What the article doesn't really tell you is that this is clearly a vote buy. It's not really national news, it's targeted at certain constiuencies.
It also doesn't go into detail of the gun registry scandal and fiasco. (Which very few politicians will even mention let alone support.)
It's a pretty deceptive article...

The picture even gives the "official announcement of the Government of Canada" look, but if you read the caption it mentions its just a campaign advertisement.

In review:
#1) It's not going to happen.
#2) Why do you care at all?
#3) Canadian elections are just as full of **** as American elections, only they last about 1/10th the time. Be greatfull that 80% of your television isnt election propaganda from your big neighbour and lasts a full 18 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Not a citizen, never even been there. But Canada is our neighbor.

Good to hear it's just BS - He He - like the news here. It was on the left wing Yahoo news like it was real news.

Of course, it even blamed the US for part of the problem.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Since when did you get Canadian citizenship Rich?

In review:
#1) It's not going to happen.
#2) Why do you care at all?
#3) Canadian elections are just as full of **** as American elections, only they last about 1/10th the time. Be greatfull that 80% of your television is election propaganda from your big neighbour and lasts a full 18 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

you dont need foreign citizenship in order to follow foreign affairs....

1) thats good to hear!
2)because with the way our courts are they would prolly cite canadian law and make a court ruling that bans guns here as well. and Its important to look out for the people north of us down here..
3) our elections are retarded...thats all

if this is all BS like you say, then thats wonderful....but cant blame Rich for paying attention.....

in other international gun news.....a short while ago Brazil voted on a referendum and widely shot down (pun intended) a gun control bill that (i think )would have banned hand guns, (its been a while since i read it) I wish the citizens of this country got more chances to vote on issues instead of counting on our representatives and senators......the only referendums i've seen have been very local....or am i missing something?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 04:10 PM

Glad to hear you are interested in what's going on this side of the border. The devil is in the details. And they have to get re-elected to impliment this. Its probably being used as a political wedge to draw the Conservative party into taking a position against it, which the Liberals are gambling will put them to discredit.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

-"This year will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."
Anyone have an idea who said this?
If you guessed Adolf Hitler your wrong although the quote has been attributed to him forever, it shows that just because gun control has good intentions behind it, it's an idea that needs to be greatly revamped to help to protect the innocent, and still to stop the criminal in other words it really needs to be brought up to date.
John
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

So who said it?

Khadafi?
Castro?
Mousolini?
Saddam?
Kennedy?

Oh, of course -- Geronimo!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

1. Canada would be in deep doo-doo if they did that, what with socialized medicine.
2. Inferno, stop swearing [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] --- Uh Edit does work, sorry Rich, next Tacos on me..
3. Rich, I thought jeeps were creating crime! (forgot the O/T dude)
4. Did I ever tell you I was a hall monitor in pre-school [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Neat! I noticed I forgot the OT right after I posted it. I didn't think it would work, but EDIT did.

Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode