Dana 20 question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Dana 20 question

I have a bit of a dilema, I just purchased a used Dana 20 transfer case, the gears look good and the shifter seems to shift fine, but upon further inspection I found two small holes near the shifter. They are threaded and look like a detent should go in the hole, but righ now there is just a plastic plug in each one. If you look down the hole while shifting the lever you can see small notches that look like they would accept a detent ball. Any help? If it does take a detent and spring where do I get them and do they come with the cap or plug to hold them in place?
Thanks,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Dana 20 question

Those are simply a spring, ball bearing and a set screw to hold them in. Try here:

<u>All State 4WD</u>

Find the Dana 20 section (can't link their Java stuff) and look for this picture:

I think you are looking for item #6 and #7, might be on your own to find a couple set screws.

Now if you want to put a twin stick on it (likely what the prior owner had) just find a couple of set screws to plug the holes.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale

Edit: Second thoughts.... been years since I messed with a Dana 20. Maybe someone else should comment on running without the detents, always safer to stay with the original design.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those are simply a spring, ball bearing and a set screw to hold them in. Try here:

<u>All State 4WD</u>

Find the Dana 20 section (can't link their Java stuff) and look for this picture:

I think you are looking for item #6 and #7, might be on your own to find a couple set screws.

Now if you want to put a twin stick on it (likely what the prior owner had) just find a couple of set screws to plug the holes.

Dale

Edit: Second thoughts.... been years since I messed with a Dana 20. Maybe someone else should comment on running without the detents, always safer to stay with the original design.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you sure he is not talking about the 4wd and low range light actuators?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure he is not talking about the 4wd and low range light actuators?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm no I'm not sure. Don't remember there being switches on a Dana 20. There is a 4wd switch on a Dana 300. The diagram should help either way.

Dale
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

can it be driven without the balls and springs?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can it be driven without the balls and springs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but it's not a good idea if they are in fact the detents for the shift rails. If a rail should move under load it cause damage. And there's the safety issue if it were to pop into neutral just as you need power.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 06:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

It has been a good long time since I have had my D300 opened up, and I am going on the assumption that the D20, and 300 are the same.
But I think that all you should need to do is to plug those holes. I believe that when you are putting the Transfer case together, and the time comes to install those shift rails, you put the spring into the hole, then place the ball on top of it, and then slide the shift rail through. So as you look down into those holes the spring and ball are acutally Under the rail.
When you shift the Xfer case through the ranges, can you feel the case kind of "lock" into place? If so, I would think that the springs, and ball are in there.

Again, I am going on the assumption that the D300, and D20 are the same. I have never been inside a D20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode