help no spark! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 06:48 PM
chief1700

help no spark!

hey guys/gals. first post please dont beat me up to bad. sorry this might get long. friend of mine has a 1992 wrangler 4cyl,2.5 5 speed. problem? no spark. new crank position sensor,new distributor parts (cap,rotor,cam position sensor,wires,plugs),checked ignition switch,good. coil (green wire)only gets power for approximately 5-10 seconds when key is first turned on, yellow wire has continuity w/ground. when fuel pump turns/kicks off power goes out.i dont want to just change random parts. please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 12:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: help no spark!

Bam....consider yourself beat up...feel better?

When you first turn on the ign, the fuel pump will run for about 2 sec to prim the system....after that it needs a crank signal to run.

Have you tried pulling the codes off the computer first?

If you put a voltmeter on the wire to the coil, you should see the voltage bounce as you crank it. If not, it's not getting the signal to fire...that will basically tell you which end to start troubleshooting.

If you don't have a manual for it now, time to get one.

Remember, go for the cheap and simple stuff first. Don't just start replacing parts. In most cases you will find that the solution is inversly proportional to the magnitude of the problem.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 07:07 AM
Way Outta Control

Ha He Ha -- Wow, that sure hits it!!!!

"""""In most cases you will find that the solution is inversly proportional to the magnitude of the problem.
"""""

Good one!

I'd start with fuses - often there are TWO fuses for the ECM!

LEVE - Jim, is there as ASD relay on this system?
If so, possibly swapping the relay with the horn relay may get it started - but the horn won't work - if so, replace relay.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 03:50 PM
chief1700

that wasnt to bad for my first post. thanks guys. i put a voltmeter on the coil, no power when cranking , only when you first turn the key on. tested all the fuses all look good and have power on both sides of fuse. next tried switching relay didnt work. also tried retrieving codes from check engine light(no scanner) gives me #13 ac compressor, #23 fuel switch? tried removing batt cable and starting over same codes. I have the haynes manuel(no help) also did a search on this board and tried just about everything (i think). maybe a problem after the fuse block?HELP
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 04:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does your system have a resitor in the line to the coil?

Follow the wire back.....

#23 Fuel Switch....mmmmmmmm.....do you hear the fuel pump come on when you first turn on the key?

You don't need a scanner...at least, not at this point....all it does is display the codes in English...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 05:11 PM
chief1700

dont know about the resistor, dont remember seeing one, traced the wire back to harness under break resivuar. but i will have to look this weekend. the fuel pump does come on for the same amount of time the coil has power, 5-10 sec. glad i dont need the scanner yet, but the code#23 has some thing to do with the fuel system not 100% sure(cant find the manual girlfriend decided to clean up!)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

Is the distributor turning? Just something to look at from personal experience.
John
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 12:17 AM
Addict

check out your fuel pump relay (assuming it has one), it may be on its way out and dropping out after a few seconds
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Way Outta Control

Again - find out if it has an ASD relay. Automatic Shutdown Relay.

Normally the pump runs for a few seconds after the key is on. Then it shuts off. If it runs at all, the pump relay is working and that circuit is fine. Reason is: Initially it pressurizes the system. But it shuts off quickly in case an injector is leaking and the key's left on it doesn't fill a cylinder with fuel. Abosolutly normal!

The pump will not run again until the ECM "sees" pulses from the ignition, then the ECM activates the pump relay again. That way whenever the ignition is operating the fuel pump provides fuel.

But - if the ignition module is dust, or the pick-up coil, or the wiring, the ECM never "sees" the ignition pulses.
And the ASD relay, if equipped, shuts off the ignition as well. Follow the green wire on the coil. Disconnect your tach - if equipped.

Troubles in either circuit can do as you describe. I'd start with the ASD - if equipped.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:02 PM
chief1700

thanks for the help. this weekend i will check the ASD relay, with the related parts. will also check the green wire on the coil throughly and the fuel system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode