Help - Sudden Loss of power - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:42 PM
moto800

Help - Sudden Loss of power

Over the last couple of months my '99 TJ has a 'gremlin' under the hood. It started when I was cruising through town and the engine died and all electrical systems acted as if the ingition had been turned off and within a split second everything was back to normal. I had one more of that type of occurrance at 75 mph - everything died and within a split second it all came back. Then next odd occurrance was after it had been sitting in a parking lot for 1.5 hours and it wouldn't start, jiggled some wires under the hood, waited a couple of minutes and started right up. The third and fourth instance occurred yesterday and today - both at stop lights. I pulled up to the light stopped and it died. Yesterday I put it in park and tried starting it and nothing, turned the radio and heater off - no luck, when i went to push it out of the intersection I could not get it out of park - eventually I got it and for the heck of it tried starting it when it was in neutral and it worked. Today when it died at the stoplight - I immediately put it into neutral and started again.

Does anybody have any ideas on what might be the problem? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers,
moto800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help - Sudden Loss of power

You are headed in the right direction....electrical.
My vote would be the connection from the CPS (Crank Pos Sensor). It will not hurt to break and make all connections under the hood.
You might also try retrieving any error codes from the computer. In most cases, that will point you to the most likely cause.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:52 PM
moto800

Thanks for the input DDawg16.

How do I retrieve an error code?

moto800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:59 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Starting in neutral but not park makes me think it might be something to do with the switch that keeps it from starting in drive or reverse. Can't remember the name for it, but I had that problem with an old Ford a few years ago and just removed the ball-bearing that shorted the system when it was in gear. I'm not mechanically inclined, but this is an idea that one of the gearheads might be able to either rule out or affirm.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 03:45 PM

What the others have missed is:

[ QUOTE ]
all electrical systems acted as if the ingition had been turned off

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's true - that is, if the gauges die, radio quits, heater fan quits and so on - it has nothing to do with the engine compartment or neutral safety switch. It has to be:

1 The fuse that feeds to the ignition switch
2 Wire from fuse block to the ignition switch
3 Ignition switch
4 Wire from the ignition switch to the fuse block
5 Or a connector in that series

Nothing under the hood, like the crank position sensor or wire in the ignition system can kill accessories in the passenger compartment. The neutral safety switch only disables the starter circuit when the transmission is not in Park or Neutral. It's can't kill the engine.

If everything quits - headlights too, for example - then it would be a fault somwehere between the battery and fuse box.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 10:36 PM
Addict

just a thought for ya, you should disconnect neg battery cable and use an ohmmeter to check the wires Jim_Lou referenced as several of them carry full battery load and if you just start shaking them around with battery connected .... lets just say that it is quite a surprise when you find a ground fault at 5-600 amps...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Way Outta Control

A shot in the dark - has it been outside in the weather topless?
Seems like I've heard of switch problems in the steering column from water and dirt getting in.
It rings a bell since you had difficulty getting it out of park, then when you did, it worked again. Sounds like there's a connection -- or actually a bad connection.

Maybe somebody that's been in the streering column can shed more light along those lines?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 11:12 AM
moto800

And DDawg is the Winner - my mechanic, High Country Performance, Englewood, Colorado, found the same problem and its fixed. Thanks all for your responses.

Cheers,
moto800
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 01:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the update Moto.....

You would think that I could at least get another star............
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Way Outta Control

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the update Moto.....

You would think that I could at least get another star............

[/ QUOTE ]

OK..........here ya go...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode