newbie question: ragtop and arizona - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 09:46 PM
jdawgaz

newbie question: ragtop and arizona

I am brand new to arizona. I have been coming for years but am finally here. Now on to the real question.

I have wanted a Jeep for many years. Before buying, I would like to know one thing. I will be using my new Jeep wrangler every day, in Phoenix 5 days/week, and off-road 2 days/week. I see a lot of Jeeps with rag-tops and some with hard-tops. Which is better in Arizona? Which would be better in the heat? Will the A/C work better in the heat of summer with a hard-top?

Anyway what do you have, and how does it work for you? And if you have one of the two, and had it to do all over again, would you change your mind and why?

Thanks,

Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: newbie question: ragtop and arizona

A/C and heat in the newer jeeps is WAY strong enough to cool in the summer and heat in the winter with the soft top. We hang out in southern Cali deserts with soft tops and the A/C cranked up and it downright civil.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:12 AM

Ive got both tops for my 02 Wrangler. The hard top keeps the tire noise to a minimum, but the soft top is more than sufficient for heating/cooling. Plus, if you do any offroad stuff and want to take the hard top off, its pretty hard to do by yourself. The softtop is much more flexible and solo user friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Enthusiast

I'm not in Arizona but up here (Northern Alberta) I have both soft and hard tops. We have two seasons up here...winter and construction. During construction season I use the soft top. During the winter, the hard top. The fast back window will easily crack during cold weather in the winter. It also takes a half hour to warm up enough so the back window becomes more pliable. I don't know what gas prices are there but up here we're the highest in the province, so half an hour is too long to warm up, hence the hard top. As far as putting/removing the hard top, I have a winch on the wall of the garage that lowers/raises the hard top. 2 2x4's 8' long also assist me in hard top removal. I'm sure the guys on here have lots of different set ups to assist them. My jeep is a DD. And what is air conditioning?[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 09:54 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I've never had AC in a soft top jeep, but I HAVE been in Phoenix in the summer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] It's hot. Really hot. Even at night.

But, Flagstaff was awesome! Nowhere near as hot. So I would say it depends on where in AZ you're gonna be.

My guess would be that ac would work better in a hard top - less drafts. But that's just a guess. But if you do go soft top, maybe black isn't the best choice. Maybe a lighter color that wouldn't soak up so much heat - like tan. ????

Good luck
Pete
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Enthusiast

Chris is right...

A newer TJ with AC and a soft top is all you'll need. My TJ can easily keep up with the AC in 110+ heat, even with a soft top. Arizona winters will never get cold enough to require a hard top. You'll be much happier with the rag top.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 11:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A/C? People actually use that in a jeep?

Maybe I do have A/C....Mine is the model TO40.....(Top Off at 40 MPH)

Ok....I could see 'maybe' using the A/C a little in Phoenix....

The only reason I have a rag top for my jeep is to keep me somewhat dry for the 3 months of rain we get in S CA....otherwise, it's just the bikini top....or no top at all.....California only has two seasons.....Shorts and T-shirts season, and shorts and sweat top season....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:37 PM

A/C should be fine with the soft top.. You might want to go to Yahoo Groups and join AZ-VJC( Arizona Virtual Jeep Club). Great group and almost all local Arizona jeepers.
Keith
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 09:14 PM

I have a hardtop around here somewhere...I think. No top needed here in Yuma. I don't have a/c or a soft top but it's not that bad with a bikini top as long as you keep moving!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ok, not EXACTLY a thread hyjack...

I was thinking about using my OBA to pressurize (With a regulator) my 5gal Water Jerry can, and put a mister in the cab for our *Hot* SF summers (Um, that is a mist-er not a Mr., don't give me flak [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode