Fight your speeding ticket... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Fight your speeding ticket...

I have brought this up before, but just thought I would throw it out again for anyone who hasn't seen it.. Fighting your speeding ticket is not a hard thing to do, you just have to know *what* to do..

This is not a matter of actually fighting the ticket, this is more a matter of not getting 'bent over' by the insurance company afterwards...

Read all you need to know here.. Just remember that not everything here will necessarily apply to the rules/regulation of your state/province.. This is not my site, nor am I in anyway affiliated, this is simply a nice reference if you find yourself in this situation.

http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/index.htm

cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Old Hand

Re: Fight your speeding ticket...

Or you could always try the ever original "obey the law" tactic. I here it works very well, and without causing undo stress on a tax payer paid for court system that has better things to do than deal with people who refuse to take responsibility for their actions. IMHO
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 01:47 PM

[RANT]

Obeying the law works most of the time, but not always. In a St. Louis suburb about a year ago there were suddenly a bunch of people getting ticketed for running a red light at a cross walk in front of a school. It turned out that the city had gotten the signal company to shorten the yellow light to just a couple of seconds. One cop would stand at the crosswalk and push the button as a car approached. Most people couldn't stop before the light turned red, and there was another cop down the block with his ticket pad ready.

The city hall and police department were quick to point out to a reporter that this was done when no chirren were present to be endangered by the shenanigans.

There have been several cases of the red light photo systems being set with a very short yellow for the same reason.

And right next door in East St. Louis a couple of years ago the city council was talking about ways to increase revenue for the perpetually cash strapped city. One suggestion was to set up more radar traps, but after heated discussion that idea was rejected because it would fall most heavily on the residents, most of whom were too poor to pay the fines.

As long as traffic enforcement is treated as a fund raising game by the authorities I think it's perfectly appropriate for its victims to treat it accordingly.

And let's not hear that old chestnut about it being strictly for safety, and not a money raiser for the locality. Missouri has a law preventing cities from raising more than a certain percentage of their revenue from traffic fines. In case you think that's moot, several St. Louis suburbs have been cited in the past couple of years for violating it.

And why are there so many speeding tickets in proportion to every other possible traffic violation? Maybe because they're so easy to write, and so difficult to beat. If it were a safety issue there would be many more improper lane useage, following too close, failure to signal, failure to yield, and on and on.

Phooey.

[/RANT]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 01:58 PM
05RkyMtn

Cleveland just instituted the red light phote system. They touted the safety concerns but were also up-front about the $$ they expected to raise. After living in MD when they first instituted the red light cameras and then the radar/speed cameras, I can see just about every major city doing this as a means of raising cash. The precedence has been set, it's just a natter of time before every municipality joins the game. The next thing is a GPS unit in every vehicle, uplinking speed and location with perhaps the local town, county and state sending you one big ticket. That wya every body gets a piece of the pie. Technology is great but at times the "abuse" of it sucks.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 02:00 PM

And if the photo radar and photo red light equipent weren't a fund raiser, why would the city have a contract with the hardware provider to split the revenue?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 02:06 PM
05RkyMtn

Yup, you know it. I'm actually surprised that the turnpikes don't actually use the date/time stamp on the ticket and issue you a ticket with your change! Same with TransPass and every other prepaid toll system.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 02:12 PM
05RkyMtn

The thing that gets me is everyone says obey the speed limit, slow/stop at yellow lights but it has become less and less seldom that these same people follow their own rules. I agree, slow down is "a" cure but even I am not perfect. While I don't speed on surface streets, the interstate is where higher speeds are allowed and the flow of traffic is usually above the posted limit. I've seen more problems occur because someone is doing the limit (let alone the limit in the hammer lane!) than driving 10 or so over the limit.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 06:37 PM

All revenue from the police department should go straight into the general budget and not to the police department.

I tihnk that's how it is around here... the police don't see a penny from Speed/Redlight cameras.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Regarding the Red Light Phote systems....basically, the company that runs them goes to a city and says...hey, we will install the system, maintain it and issue the citations....it will cost you nothing...in return, you tack on a small extra charge to cover our expenses. Who would not go for that. Truth is...they work. On average, they reduce accidents by about 80% after they have been in operation for a while....and when there is an accident as a result of someone running the red light....you have a pic of it.

In most cases, cities get a small % of all citations. However, they make a lot more off parking tickets...all of that goes to the city.

FYI...I got caught by a photo system a few weeks ago...I was HUA....it cost me $390....and being a deputy....I still had to pay it...no way out.....I'll tell you what, I sure am a lot more careful at red lights now.....when I'm not in a black and white that is.....

To put things in perspective......for every military person killed in Irag, we loose over 40 people in auto accidents.....

You might want to check out some of the statistics online.....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 06:31 AM
Addict

I have one up on that site...when you pay your ticket just make the check out for 5 extra dollars. they send you back a check for 5 dollars. rip up the 5 dollar check and the transaction is never completed the points dont go on your license and you just wait out the grace period. I never did this but I've had friends try it after I told them and it worked both times. I dont suggest breaking the law but to each his or her own. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode