O/T Looking at a F250 V10 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

O/T Looking at a F250 V10

Hey guys, wondering if anybody has had any experience with the Ford V10's. I'm kinda looking at a '99 F250 Super Duty with a V10 and a 5 speed. Truck has 133,000 miles and the bed is beat up but they're only asking $8,950 and its been sitting there awhile. Its already got a hitch and brake box in it. The bed condition doesn't really excite me but I'm gonna use it so I'll tear it up anyway. I'm thinking this is a lot of truck for the money if the V10 is worthy. Anybody know anything? Its listed as 275hp and 410 ft/lbs of torque. I've never heard a lot about these engines, I've researched a little on the internet but would like some "real life" feedback. Power, life expectancy, gas mileage, problems, etc, anything would be appreciated.
Thanks, Aaron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: O/T Looking at a F250 V10

Since when has Ford had a V10? Never heard of that one before.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 05:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ask over at the f-series forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:26 PM

You will pass anything but a gas station. Not very good on mileage. If it is four wheel drive it sounds worth it though.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

If you were at the Bash two years ago, my dad's fiance brought her 25ft RV and its powered by a Ford V-10 and is 4x4. I don't know about its expected milage range or fuel economy, but if it can haul around a 25 foot motorhome, plus a trailer and a Jeep, I'd guess its plenty powerful enough for anything you'll need.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:57 PM

NOt sure how may miles they are good for but I know they are a good engine. Milage sux, but what do you expect and it's a biig truck. At least hauling a load doesn't change it that much from what I've seen. I have never heard a complaint about towing power from it. BUT!!!!!!!!!!! It has the same problem (if you want to call it that) that all the other OHC V8's have......(based on the same design)........YOU HAVE TO CHECK THE OIL EVERY WEEK!!!!!! They don't seem to burn it, leak it or whatever but it is going somewhere. Maybe not one time but then the next it will be one to two qts low. I have a 4.6 in my driveway and it does it too. You just never know. But it's as easy as checking it when you fill the tank. I only mention this since I know people (2-v10's,and at least 6 v-8's) that never were faithfull to checking it and also were good for going 5k oil changes that lost engines do to RUNNING THEM OUT OF OIL. And actually about 1/3 of them were leases[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] and one was my brother in law in his f-250 4wd. SO keep this in mind. Other than that I have never heard of anything bad about them and my boss loves his in his excursion........and he's a chevy guy.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Mud in my Veins

Email "Commandtoad" over on the jeepster board... he's got an '00 F250 4x4 X-cab w/ the V10... wearing everything Banks makes for it!

He pulled a @#$%^&! huge construction trailer (35' long tandem axle dually highboy) carrying both our Commandos, 5 bodies in the cab, and a weeks worth of gear in the back from Clayton, GA to Blairsville, GA a few years back. It pulled the hills just fine (I was a bit skeered the driveshaft would cut loose & "popsicle" me ridng bitch), but only got about 6mpg... OTOH, *everyone* got less than 10mpg on that trip due to hills.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Get it Arron, then you can buy a 35 foot trailer and all I will have to acomplish to go wheeling is time off!! You can haul my ass everywhere
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Veteran

We have a '00 F250 supercab V10 4x4 5-speed (actually selling it, but asking more than you are paying there, that is a good deal)

Anyways.. we have had zero problems with the engine. We can't say we've seen what dirtdog was talkin' about.. it has 100,460 miles on it and it uses about 1 quart every 5K miles or so. The only thing we did to it was put the K&N intake kit on it.

we replaced the clutch (more preventative maintenance since we were going on a 1800 mile trip to moab) and the front U-joints.

we had it new since 2000 and it served us well, but now we want to tow 2 jeeps at the same time and have more room, so we bought a '01 F350 crew cab with the diesel.

The V10 towed our jeep on the car hauler everywhere verrrry easily. It has plenty of power, and honestly is kinda fun to drive with the 5-speed. (for being something that is so large)

hope that helps
-Mel
edit: 11mpg towing 14-15mpg empty
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

[ QUOTE ]
Since when has Ford had a V10? Never heard of that one before.

[/ QUOTE ]
'99 was the first year in the pickups but Ford put it in RV's and bigger trucks for a couple years before that.

Thanks for the input guys. I test drove it tonite, it does drive good, shifts well(has a nice low 1st gear),and I tried out the 4WD. Once again though the bed is beat to crap and so is the tailgate. Robyn ran the VIN and it was owned by a business, we're guessing construction, so its definately been used hard. Still undecided, I don't want to spend much money so the $8,950 price tag does entice me and the salesman wanted to bargain but I acted like I wasn't that interested and left. I'm afraid anything much newer or nicer, or with a diesel is gonna get expensive. The 133,000 miles scare me more than the bed damage, just not sure how many miles these engines have in them. I don't know, just thinking out loud.
Thanks guys,Aaron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode