HELP! My jeep is shaking! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-04-1999, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HELP! My jeep is shaking!

Well I never thought it would happen, but it did... I've got driveline vibrations in my jeep from 30-45 mph. The jeep is completely stock, no body lift, or suspension lift. it's a 93 w/ 55k miles on it.

Starting last Friday, I noticed something just wasn't right when I drove it, I couldn't exactly tell what, but the jeep didn't feel right. Over the weekend I noticed a very small seat of the pants vibration through-out all of the gears no matter how fast or slow I drove. Today I discovered that from 30-45 mph (3rd-4th gear) my jeep starts to shake enough that my rusted ashtray opens. The more gas you give it during that time the worse it gets. under 30 or above 45 and everything is fine, save for a little vibration that I can't put my finger on.

Also, between 30-45 mph there is now a occuring faint sqeal of metal on metal.

It's hard to tell but I believe the problem is up front. My gut tells me it's a U-joint.

Does anyone have any ideas?? I really need to address this problem as I commute 30-40 miles a day to school. Having a u-joint fail on the interstate would be bad. Could it be something else?

thanks!
-Brian

-Brian
93 YJ, 4.0L, Tuffy'ized interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 12:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: HELP! My jeep is shaking!

reply to me vie e-mail or here ok?
e-mail at [email protected]

I know a lot about jeeps and other vehicles, for i rebuilt a CJ7 myself and also worked at a parts store for over a year.

The first thing I ask is, when was the last time your tires were balanced? That can cause a vibration in cars as well.

First, get your tires balanced. It can't hurt, and is at minimal cost. Besides that, I have my tires balanced every 10,000 road miles and every 3,000 off-road. When you hit a pot-hole, I garuntee your tire balance will be thrown off.

About the increasing vibration with increasing throttle position: I need more information, for it seems that this is a recent occurance, give me more info and i can most likely help more. But that indicates an engine problem, which is not likley in the vehicles time frame.

post or email more info after some time has past. See if you notice any other changes. i.e miles per gallon, etc.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 12:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OH,

I also doubt that your problem revovles aroung the driveshaft area. UNLESS, that is you off-road frequently. I.E. if you bashed your driveshaft(unwillingly, ofcourse) with a rock or something else. If it is a road vehicle or off-road, also makes a difference. So let me know everything you can.
Like last time you went Off-road all the way till you last washed it, or lubed the drive train. If you let me know, i will help you in anyway i can.

Live to help,
chadles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 12:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Unless you are in 4wd then your front drive shaft u-joints would not cause a vibe problem and most bad u-joints will clunk when you first start off and some times when you shift gears . Since you stated that it is a seat of the pants feel then you can rule out steering componets ( you'd feel that in the steering wheel ) .Look and see if you lost a wheel weight ( you can usualy see the out line on the wheel were they used to be) This might sound odd but check your exhaust system for any loose clamps or hangars ( just give it a good shake ) if its loose then that might be your culprit ( a loose exhaust can really rattle your teeth ) if its tight shake the drive shaft and look for play at the slip spline then drive the thing and try diffrent gears to see if the vibe goes away,does it make the sound in a turn ,only straight ,when you are on the gas or off.You might also want to look at the vibe damper on the crank and make sure the rubber between the inner and outer sections is in good shape it might be spinning inside its self making the noise and causing the vibe
Hope this helps let me know what you find RPM/cj7

<font color=orange>RPM/cj7</font color=orange>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This may help... Come to think about it, there is a *clunk* sometime when I change gears and or let off the gas abruptly. Which lead me to the u-joint. I'll check those in the morning.

My tires were balanced and mounted 3 months ago.

The only thing I can think off is that I went off-road to meet people for a hayride this past Thursday. That was the day before I noticed the subtle vibrations and a week before the bad stuff started happening.

Maybe I goosed the gas a little going over some ruts and messed up a joint, or nocked something loose. It wasn't really off-roading. It was a washed out 75 yrd strech of ground. But you never know.

-Brian
93 YJ, 4.0L, Tuffy'ized interior
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 12:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the condition you describe sound like a dry u joint. not uncommon if you live in a wet climate. easy to check, just drop the drive shaft and twist the joints around. if they do not move easily change them. they are cheap and easy to replace.

dan
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 01:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not only that, but you have four "u-joints" in the front of your vehicle. There are two for the driveshaft and one for each side of the axle. If the axle U-joints are in need of replacement, then you will notice a clicking noise when you make sharp turns, not with straight forward movement.

Also, 3 months would most likely be a good time to balance your tires. Whether off-roading or not, i bet you hit some pot-holes or bumps in that time. Balancing can only help, also tell the peolpe who do it to do a dynamic balance. A dynamic balance means putting weights on both sides of the wheel. A static balcance puts the weights on the inside only. I did a static balance b/c I have aluminum wheels which can accumulate dirt and get discolored where the weight sits. It does not make a huge difference, but it you have stock wheels i recomend the dynamic balance. Make sure you tell them too, if they don't mention it they will most likely do a static balance.

I recomen that you do this first, not only is it needed in your situation, but it will eliminate one possible cause of the problem with minimal time and money.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 01:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The same thing happened to my 89YJ. It turned out to be the rear U-joint. The one of the little pieces of metal that holds the U-joint straight in the yoke had broken allowing the U-joint to slide to that side a little, which made it rotate in a slightly elliptical pattern instead of a truly round pattern. And it vibrated right around 30-40 mph. I ended up having to replace the yoke and the rear U-joint, not a big deal. Oh, and when it was bad it also made that squeaking noise you mentioned too.

Jebby--89YJ 3"susp. 3"body 32"Firehawks 258
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 12:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Same thing happened to me, with the rear drive shaft. I think you can see if itís drive train or steering related by pushing in the clutch during the vibrating. If it a rear u-joint it should stop spinning and the vibration should stop. If itís tire balance youíll still feel the shake. At least I think this should work. Let us know. Good luck.

'83 CJ7 258 i6 31x10.5 3in. lift?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 12:30 PM

Check your transmission mounts too when you check the U-joints. My mount was bad on my Cherokee XJ and it produced that bad U-joint like "clunk". Good Luck!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode