82 Cj 7 with 151 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Bigjim

82 Cj 7 with 151

I bought my first CJ (82 CJ 7)less than a year ago and I love it. The guy I bought it from was the first owner and EVERYTHING on it is stock. It has original engine and drivetrain. It even has the original spare tire on the back. It runs well but has very little power. The 151 'Iron Duke' has 150,000 miles and it didn't have many ponies when it was new (I think it was rated at 82 horses). I really have two questions and if anyone could help. First is that everything I have read says that the 151 always came with the T-4 or T-5. This one I have has the original T-176. I realize that is a good thing but has anyone heard of that before. Secondly, despite all the reading and research I have done I have never seen anything on engine swaps for the 151 Iron Duke. With the little power that I have from that old engine I would love to upgrade. Since I use it to get to and from work it can't be something that sucks down the gas (no big V8's). What is the best engine to match up with the T176 and are there any modifications I will need to make in the drivetrain?

Thanks for helping the new guy
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 82 Cj 7 with 151

Here's some good info.
And welcome to the board.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 08:47 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I have seen that setup, which is awesome as the T-176 was the best tranny you could get in the early 80's.

A Chevy 4.3 would make a nice swap, it's a V-6 with plenty of power and the T-176 could easily handle it. If you're easy on it, the rear axle (2-piece) should hold together. If you're going to call on it from time to time, you might want to upgrade to 1 piece axles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 09:33 PM

I've thought it would be cool to swap s10 2.5 fuel injection into a 4 banger cj, would make for a pretty sweet lighter weight trail rig.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
I've thought it would be cool to swap s10 2.5 fuel injection into a 4 banger cj, would make for a pretty sweet lighter weight trail rig.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya know Andy... most folks don't much like the GM 2.5 and 2.8 motors but wouldn't those fit up to the 151 bellhousing?

While I have had my issues with a couple 2.X's, the Olds multiport 2.8 aluminum motor makes some serious power for it's light weight.

I could be well off base here but aren't the 3.1L (or is it 3.3L) aluminum motors a better design and the same basic mounting?

Just thinking out loud here (that's what I do best).

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 12:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Who says you have to keep the tranny?
If your going to do a swap...especially a newer fuel injected engine...in most cases, the computer controls both the engine and tranny....so why not do both? Besides, an auto is actually better than a manual (let the flaming begine)....

The 4.3 V6 is a good choice....if you really go all out, a Gen III SBC is all aluminum....lighter than the I6...or go Ford 302 which is about 100 lbs lighter than the iron SBC 5.7. And all of those engines have 4 speed autos with lockup converters.....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 10:31 AM

2.5 and the 151 is the same motor
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 01:26 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

The Iron Duke is the same bellhousing as the SBC motor. A 350 can be a bolt in project. M.O.R.E. has awesome mounts that bolt in, there are several goood conversion radiators around, and you can use off-the-shelf clutch parts. The hardest thing is routing the exhaust, and that's even pretty easy. I put a 350 in my Scrambler, took 2 weekends, and have run it for 2 years now. The AMC20 rear end lasted longer than I thought(twisted the housing in an unintentional clutch dump...) and everything else is fine. The driveshaft lengths are even ok with a 4" lift. I've got all my part #s saved somewhere.

Alot of people will say a 350 is too much, a 4.3 can be a better choice. A 350 is cheap, parts are cheap, and a bone stock 350 will out-power a 4.3 easy. And parts availability is second to none. How long your drivetrain lasts depends on how hard you are on the go pedal... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Oh...my mileage went up to 16 from a lousy 12 with the 4popper...that is until the 36"s went on...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1453926-engswapresize.jpg (65.4 KB, 3 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 12:04 AM

2.8 is a 60* motor and uses a gm bell housing. I believe the 2.5 uses a 90* bell housing (same as a 4.3, 305, 350).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode