Off Roading Forums banner

Cheap and easy upgrades....

4K views 40 replies 28 participants last post by  basketcasejeep 
#1 ·
Okay...there's a list a mile long of things I wanna do to my jeep, but w/o forking over a bunch of money for replacement parts and/or new parts.....what are some of your favorite upgrades that you did to your jeep that didn't cost you your left kidney?

#2 ·
My favorite cheapie is a hand throttle that didn't cost anything but time. A friend who works at a Beechcraft dealer got a prop governor control that was worn beyond spec, but still excellent. It's a vernier control - twisting the knob screws the cable in or out. Pushing the button in the end allows it to be pushed or pulled like a plain flex cable. The brackets and linkage were made from pieces of scrap and junk around the shop.

It's so accurate that I threw out the idle speed screw on the carb and set the idle speed with the hand throttle. I can pull it out to an approximate setting and then rotate the knob to get exactly the engine speed I want.

Another is the fuel filler. It didn't cost anything either. I made one similar to the stock CJ filler except with more down-angle on it. That allows it to be mounted flush with the body instead of recessed in the plastic pocket. Now a jerry can spout can reach it and drain the can.

It cost several hundred bucks for instruments, but I REALLY like my instrument panel. It's good to see the instruments just below the normal line of vision, instead of down near the floor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#3 ·
Perfect!!! These are good ideas on what I'm looking for. I really like the throttle idea! I've actually thought about that before, but never thought about using your type of setup. Seems very practical too!

Anyone else? Time to brag about your ingenious upgrades, tips&tricks, or simple fixes that greatly improved the quality and/or performance of your jeep. This is good for rookies like myself to hear these things, I'm sure most would agree. I know everytime I start dink'n around w/ my jeep, I'm constantly wondering "How can I do that?" or "Can that be done?"

#6 ·
One of my favorite cheapys was the heater upgrade. A little cutting, drilling and 20 dollar bill to Napa will get you a toasty warm jeep and defrosters that work! I also like the near free hand throttle on the shifter upgrade. Mine works but its not as fancy as the one above. I'm also fond of the twin stick shifters on the clocked 300 T-case. Another freebie made from parts laying around the shop.

G
#8 ·
Mine is the paper clamp from the office....you know, those black steel clamps that are used to hold more than 30 sheets of paper together? Clip that on the solder seat belt with a little slack built in and you don't get your shoulder beat up on the trail....more than once (before using the clip), I've had the shoulder strap get so tight from the bouncing that I couldn't reach the shifter...

$1.00 for the springs to hold my front longer brake lines up so they don't flop around.

$.02 For my advice to never use poly bushings. I now use stock rubber on both vehicles. Transmitts a lot less vibration.

#10 ·
I would like to see more ideas myself on this thread. Seems like everything costs big $$$: PS, Disc, Fuel Inject, lifts, cages, winches, lockers, 4:1 kits, Alcans, Axle & gear swaps, etc.
Some low dollar (less than $100 + my time) items I've done or bought:
Fire extingsher
brake speed bleaders at http://speedbleeder.zoovy.com
OBA (using air ride compressor '80's Lincoln)
High lift jack (yard sale)
First aid kit
HEI conversion (future item)
Under the hood light (from 88 chev truck)
Motorcraft 2100 carb (E-bay, dump that Carter)
Homemade bumpers (made from scrap --- free + time)
Homemade reciever hitches (ft & rear)
Homemade spare tire carrier
Homemade rear lift shackles, 1" lift
Cherokee front shackles, 1" lift
Shock extention mounts (e-bay)
Tire chains for 33's (yard sale)
Driving lights (wreaking yard)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/RockOn.gif

#11 ·
This Hood Lock that is the best I have found. Of course the relay to cut out the fuel pump while the hood lock is engaged is great too.
Putting a drivers-side seat slider under the passenger seat so my wife doesn't bang up her knees.
Tool box mounted in the engine compartment.
6-d cell maglight mounted with metal clips on the floor between the door opening and the driver's seat bracket.
For summertime, one of those huge insulated 7-11 44oz plastic mugs, glue a big round magnet to the bottom of it. While working on the jeep, you can set it anywhere without fear of spilling, and it will even hold on the sides of the jeep!
All-weather 12v outlet in the back, next to the tailgate.
Transmission Temperature sensor.

I guess thats enough for today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#12 ·
Homemade rear tire carrier (made from a cut-up machine frame from a company I used to work for)

Homemade flat skid plate - frame rail to frame rail

Homemade shackles, 3/8" thick stock.

GM HEI - cheap, simple, works.

Front XJ driveshaft for a rear CV shaft - $25, plus $50 to shorten for my rear. $75 total.

OBA is pretty cheap, york off an Eagle wagon. $25 with all brackets.

Custom "low steer" drag link for my SOA dana 30. 1-1/8" OD .250 wall DOM tubing, like $25-30. Tap for 11/16-18 tie rods, $20. Tap both ends RH thread, get 2 new tie rod ends at $18 each. Bend to clear spring. Done.

That's all I can think of right now.
Pete

#13 ·
[ QUOTE ]
This Hood Lock that is the best I have found. Of course the relay to cut out the fuel pump while the hood lock is engaged is great too.
..../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You know I have that lock but it doesn't fit between the hood and the grill. How did you mount it??

The best thing I ever did was the TR upgrade. I have done a few modifications if this upgrade since then but this was the most dramatic improvement.

Second was the heater upgrade.

Third was installing a Monte Carlo 90 amp alternator.

Fourth was replacing the T-150 for a T-177 but that's not nessarily cheap unless you have a few parts jeeps laying around.

#16 ·
Not sure if this counts because I bought it instead of making it. My TJ came with the hardtop and rear wiper. The only problem was that the wiper had 2 speeds...on and off. When I would use it there was not enough water on the rear window for it to work smoothly and quietly. The wiper would skip and chatter across the glass. So, I bought a small wiper delay unit from J.C. Whitney and mounted it in the center console. Now I can have some peace and quiet AND see out the rear window.

#19 ·
According to some kids - big STP stickers on the fenders add about 1000 HP.

A simple switch that disconnects the ignition or electric fuel pump may prove itself usefull - keeps it from driving away as easily.

A hand throttle, made from a bicycle shifter's handy.

And the all important fire extinguisher(s) could be invaluable.

For Rubicons move the air locker pumps from underneath on the belly pan to under the hood out of harm's way. Water and dirt kill them fast - @ $260 each!

#21 ·
A small blinking red LED light that I mounted right on the windsheild wiper motor cover. Operates on a switch. When the jeep is left alone, or over night, turn on the light, it blinks... Sure looks like there is an alarm...

If you Jeep sits for a long time between driving.. a battery cut off switch. It sure is easier than disconnecting my neg bat terminal all the time.

If you live where it gets cold. ( I do) buy a good quality battery with a lot of Cold cranking amps.

#22 ·
MudPunk, the XJ shaft seems to be doing fine - 2 seasons on it so far with the 33s, and just moved up to 35s late this year, but haven't really had any good tests on it with the 35s yet. (I did break off the grease fitting on the spline though - just noticed that a few weeks back - so I know it's had some impact against something, and seems to have held up fine.)

I did not have it retubed, just shortened. Bought 2 of them from a local yard, like $25 each, and had them both shortended. I carry a spare, and total $ for both was about 1/2 of a commercial shaft, which are $300+.

My Jeep's no powerhouse though. Maybe if you get into V8 power you may start to have issues with the XJ shaft, and would want a 'real' shaft from a good supplier.

Pete

#23 ·
[ QUOTE ]
My favorite is a $.35 welding rod on the rear spider gears.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still one of my favorites. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1. Take a sawsall to anything that gets bashed or is in the way
(Flatfender, rockers, rear 1/4 panels, etc)
2. $7 Go cart rod end sthat fits on the clutch rod and gets rid of the ball and socket joint that posp loose all the time when the frame flexes.
3. Front bumper (cut down cj - free)
4. rear bumper (4x4 box with 2x2 1/4 panel guards - About $60)
5. Mitsubishi bucket seats (Flat mount, very comfy - $25)
6. Custom winch plate (Scrap steel from work)

Bla, bla, bla... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

#24 ·
When I needed a new power brake booster, I switched to a dual diaphragm booster from an S10. Some minor mods needed to the two rods / links, but really decreased braking effort.

Unplugging the stepper motor when I ran a Carter BBD got rid of a wandering idle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.