...stolen cj - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 05:56 PM
74jeep

...stolen cj

I just Id tell you guys about my recent grand theft auto problems.

I put the jeep up for sell on last Friday night. I put it close to a local race track so the traffic would get a good look at it. I got 3 calls about it Sat., but none on Sun. I rode up there Saturday night and she was gone. Called all the towing companies...none of them had it.

I went to the police and they found it Monday night. I went and picked it up today.

Let me tell you about this idiot that stole my jeep. He ripped the wires out of my dash,hotwired it, and took off. He did think to scratch out the VIN number on the dash, yet he failed to take the my tag off the back. The cops tell me that when they pulled him over he gave the all-famous excuse "I didnt know it was stolen".....even though there was wire clippings on the floorboards....and all sorts of wires hanging under the dash.

Anyway, now to the damage: the toe is knocked in on of my wheels, my full top and doors are MIA, the exacust from the muffler back is gone,theres a bit of fender damage, the transmission is shot, and the engine wont run.
I have no idea what he did to it, but its muddy( it wasnt when i parked it). Its jus horrible what people will do to sombody. Im gonna sue him, and hopefully get enough to get it goin again, but I'll keep yall updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ...stolen cj

Sorry to hear about that.....
Good luck trying to get any money out of him.....about like trying to get blood out of a rock....Besides, anyone that will steel your rig is very unlikely to pay you back for the damage.

Your best bet is to contact the DA and tell them that any plea bargin should also include restitution....this is about the only thing that might get money out of the stinking dirt bag.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

If he's young sue his parents too. If he has a job make sure that if he can't pay off the bat that it'll come out of his paycheck. But chances are you won't get much. Hopefully your insurance will cover it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 06:49 PM

That blows, I say shoot him and collect out of his will. it'd be nice if it were that simple. I hate a thief, them and liars, same kind of scum.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Mud in my Veins

74, sorry to hear about this. My personal thoughts are to *squeeze* the monitary equivelent outta his head, but... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

Where you in NC?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Did you have insurance on it? if so then you just sold it REAL easy! just trying to look at teh positive side of a miserable experience...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hear about that.....
Good luck trying to get any money out of him.....about like trying to get blood out of a rock....Besides, anyone that will steel your rig is very unlikely to pay you back for the damage.

Your best bet is to contact the DA and tell them that any plea bargin should also include restitution....this is about the only thing that might get money out of the stinking dirt bag.

[/ QUOTE ]

DDdawg is on to something there...

Obviously, as everyone knows, this is grand theft, a major felony. Carries a very stiff sentence. Here's what I'd do:

1. Hound the LE investigators & local DA, especially the specific DA that will be prosecuting this scum-sucking turd. And - depending on the size of the DA's office - the supervising atty of the ADA w/ your case. (If you know anyone of local prominence, get them to contact the DA's office to. Usually an elected office, if they know there are alot of potential voters interested in a particular case, they'll make sure they don't goon it up. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

2. Tell the cops and DA's office - in writing - you want to be notified of every step in the ajudication process - as is your right under the federal Victim's Assistance Act.

3. Make sure you are at everyone of this turd's court appearances to ensure 1) the judge is aware there is an interested victim involved; and 2) that you do not inadvertantly miss the ajudication: trial and sentencing.

4. Tell the ADA 1) your desires for sentencing, 2) that you wish to be heard at trial (during both guilt and sentencing phases); and want to be informed of any/all plea-bargaining discussions. (All rights under Victim's act.)

5. Prod them to max this guy out confinement-wise; the fine is counter-productive to your interests: it does NOT go to <u>you</u>, it takes away from the turd's ability to pay you restitution. Let them know, however, that you want ANY suspension (or probation or parole) contingent on progressive and substantial restitution payments until you are fully paid; the failure of which is a stated term of suspension and will land him right back in prison. (Would not even hurt to have a formal, structured (written)restitution 'schedule' included in the sentencing (and included in the record of trial - either resd into the record, or made a marked exhibit).

I think, if you do the above, you'll stand the BEST (and cheapest) chance of getting your $$$ outa this turd. (Let the state, and it's employees, act as your free collector(s) & lawyer(s)... not some $$$-hungry, 30%-takin' lawyer!)

Godspeed to you!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 03:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

No offense Jerry, but be carefull with the second part of #1 Nobody hates Politicians like cops oh ya and politicians. I have seen several "people of local promnence" stick there nose in a case and the next thing you know the prosecutor steps out of it and sends it to special prosecutor. If your county is like ours that is the worst thing that can happen. I have never seen a special prosecutor ever take an assigned case seriously. They just want rid of it and go back to whatever county they are from and chip away at their own pile.

Do get involved though, Just be carefull how you move up the ladder. The prosecutor does not have to please you, but that dosen't mean you have to suck his ass. Tell him your realistic expectations, get and stay involved in the case. if the office is decent you will have a letter of inital hearing in the mail by now. If you don't have theft replacement insurance on it decide is it more important to you to see them spend a long time in prision or come out of a plea bargain owing you a bunch of money you will likely never collect. Some states and countys are diffrent.

I had a patrol car get all but totaled by a turd 3 years ago. He got a year in jail and 4 years probation. A part of his probation is to pay back over 34000 in dammages. Nobody involved has ever seen a penny and will likely never. The victims will have to sue him after he gets his Unsatisfactory discharge from probation and will never see a dime because he will never own anything which could be turned into capital to pay the debt.

It sucks, and my shoulder still hurts.

Sorry to hear about your jeep, best of luck.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 06:48 AM
())=YJ=())

My condolences. Makes me feel sick to think about someone destroying my heep. Good Luck with getting it running again.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Way Outta Control

The courts will let him off!

Who's kidding who? If he's out there stealing stuff the politicians, lawyers, prosecuters etc still have jobs!

They will turn him loose!

Any fines or money they get from him they'll keep!

If there were no criminals, they'd be out of work! They are worse than the thief himself!

Best way -- hang his private parts in a public place!

Once that becomes common practice for thieves, you could leave your Jeep running with the keys in it safely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode