press plate and throwout - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

press plate and throwout

Still haven clutch probs on the cj. The pedal is way to hard to push. Talked t some mustang guys since its a 5.0, and they wern't much help. I'm thinkin the press plate and throwout bearing are too thick. I'v heard of people gettin binding due to a throw out that is to thick. I can compare the angle of the arm(commin out of the bell housing)to the other cj I have and it is much different. the arm is leanin forward in the **** car and perpendicular in the jeep that works well. What I did was switch from a lever arm press plate to a much stronger diaphram style. I don't want to go back to the lever style, it was weak ****. I can now light up 33's, were before it would just smoke the clutch. So when I get it apart I'll be lookin for a thiner throw out bearing. Or to modify the one I have. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: press plate and throwout

Remember - the TO bearing for a Borg and Beck - fingered type - and a diaphram type are different.

The B&B has a flat face on the TO brg (finger ends are rounded,) where the diaphram type has a rounded TO face (the diaphram fingers are flat.)

You can't mix them up successfully.

The angle of the fork - as it passes through the entire movement should start just shy of 90 degrees, pass through 90 midway, then end up about the same angle past as it started. That gives maximum leverage.

Sometimes you have to use a longer - or shorter fork pivot ball to achieve that. Or a longer or shorter TO bearing.

If the assembled height of the fingers (measured from the flywheel to the finger ends when torqued down) has changed from type to type, you have to compensate for the difference.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Gettin ready to do this project. Still lookin for more responce, ideas. To the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 08:54 AM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
[...] the arm is leanin forward in the [****] car and perpendicular in the jeep that works well. What I did was switch from a lever arm press plate to a much stronger diaphram style. I don't want to go back to the lever style, it was weak [****]. [...] <font color="purple">Any suggestions?</font>

[/ QUOTE ][Emphasis supplied.]

Mac, A request of you if you please (& it might get you more responses as well!): My family reads this board, I'd ask that you please clean up your language. Understanding it may not seem bad relative to your regular crowd, but here it is considered to be in bad form. Thanks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 09:05 AM
Official Curmudgeon

You might want to find a spell checker too. Between your language and your spelling, people like me will just ignore your questions.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 09:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You may have dropped the pivot ball that the throw out fork sits on. I did and it made the clutch tough to push. Also gives a funky angle coming out of the bellhousing which the off geometry may be what's causing the tough clutch. Get it replaced quick if it is, I ended up breaking the ear off the bellhousing where the bellcrank mounts.

What I did was to grab a Pivot stud out of an Acura integra and used it. I cut the very end little cupped area of teh pivot ball recess in teh bellhousing off. That exposed a hole that was PERFECT size for tapping threads for the pivot stud. Then I had a buddy tig weld teh broken off piece of bellhousing back on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode