Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Oil pump failures. (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/212902-oil-pump-failures.html)

jeeperjohn 09-20-2005 05:34 PM

Oil pump failures.

How common are they? Who has a for real oil pump failure? What symptoms did you have?
My example:
1988 YJ
New bearings rings and oil pump 1 year ago (ran fine in truck indicated middle of scale on oil pressure gauge when pulled out)
High volume oil pump
Otherwise stock
Holley oil pressure switch was shutting electric fuel pump off at idle (Holley indicates it should switch off at 6 PSI)
Jeep OP gauge was showing ~30 PSI hot at idle
Mechanical test gauge showed 5 PSI hot at idle [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
Externally pump looks undamaged, shaft turns free
Pulled cover plate off oil pump, rotors look good but the relief valve is stuck ~1/3 open.
installed new oil pump 45 psi hot at idle. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

WILL 09-21-2005 12:47 PM

Re: Oil pump failures.

I put a high volume oil pump in my Dodge pickup with 318 many years ago. It failed by the hex drive cracking and letting the distributor just spin in it without turning the pump.

3/4tonYJ 09-22-2005 11:53 AM

hey John,
i don't know of any oil pump failures myself.
i know of a few engine with bearings wearing out, resulting in loss of oil pressure.
so is an Oil Pump change in a 302 alot of work?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpringOverYJ
Reminds me of my first one. About the same size. No shower or crapper though! 11 months to go? Cool. We'll have to get together and go wheelin'.
John

would love to go wheeling, maybe TN again. BUT it's going to take me until 2007 to get my junk running. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/violin.gif[/img]

Caver Dave 09-22-2005 02:10 PM

I'm not familiar with Ford engines, I'm guessing there was nothing wrong with the "pump"... the "relief" or bypass valve (a safety to keep your filter from exploding should something get plugged up) being hung open was bleeding pressure off... or there's a bunch of crud sucked against the pickup screen and pulling the cover released the suction on it, allowing it fall back in the pan???

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

jeeperjohn 09-22-2005 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey John,
so is an Oil Pump change in a 302 alot of work?

would love to go wheeling, maybe TN again.

BUT it's going to take me until 2007 to get my junk running. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/violin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey Gregg how's it going?
Not hard at all to change one in a YJ. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
We'll meet somewhere in the middle.
I don't think it'll take that you long to get it together.

**DONOTDELETE** 09-22-2005 03:30 PM

FORD...Fix Or Repair Daily [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

GoldToyBox 09-23-2005 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FORD...Fix Or Repair Daily

[/ QUOTE ]
or
FORD . . . Found On Road Dead
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]

jeeperjohn 09-24-2005 01:57 PM

Backwards.......Driver Returns On Foot