O/T Computer virus "Spyware" how to get rid of it? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

O/T Computer virus \"Spyware\" how to get rid of it?

Dont know what happend but my computer got infected with this spyware virus [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]. Its running real slow and will not let me go to any other web page but this default search page [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]. If I click on yahoo 2 sec later it automatically goes to that freaking search web page [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]. Ive seen a lot of advertisements that you can pay anywhere from $40 to $20 to get rid of it. I was going to go ahead and pay for it but I wanted to make sure that it wasnt some sort of scam or if there is another cheaper better way to fix it. Any idears [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 03:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: O/T Computer virus \"Spyware\" how to get rid of it?

SpyBot Search and Destroy
Adware by Lavasoft

Both are free and work well.

Make sure you have your firewall turned on...
And, if you are not using Firefox, I would highly suggest it....beats the crapola out of IE
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 06:01 PM

Re: O/T Computer virus \"Spyware\" how to get rid of

Also some sites hijack your computer by altering your hosts file - C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc - open the Hosts file using note pad. Most people don't have anything in there. So if there is something there you may want to delete it, but be sure to make a backup incase you need that info

Those advertisements are another way to get infected. Never Never click on a pop up ad when you get one - Only close them

Both those programs John mentioned work well, but you need to keep them updated.

Also Microsoft has a free one called Antispyware - get it and use it.

Couple more things you need to do in Internet Explorer are to set the security options to default. Delete the temporary internet files and cookies. Cookies usually store login info for sites like this - so you don't have to login on every visit.

And also be sure you have some kind of antivirus software installed and updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont know what happend but my computer got infected with this spyware virus [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

stop looking up pr0n [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].........

i had the same thing....use spybot and lava as said above.....good luck
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Way Outta Control

Since Microsoft came out with it's Anti Sypware software I've dumped the third party software. Dubious at first, I ran it in parallel with Lavasoft and Sypbot, and found that it Microsoft was doing a great job of protecting my computers. I'd encourage anyone running a Windows platform to use it and keep it updated.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
stop looking up pr0n [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].........

i had the same thing....use spybot and lava as said above.....good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Dohh!! ya caught me red handed [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 09:17 AM

I'd be wary of the people who are offering to clean the spyware off your comptuer for 20 or 40 bucks. There is no way they can clean it remotely without getting into the running services, etc. I've been constantly battling this crap for 2 years now in my IT Department. LEVE's suggestion of Microsoft AntiSpyware is a good one, but is not fool-proof. I have personally seen it broken. But, IMO, it is the best out there.

If you have a bad infection, I recommend taking the computer to someone so they can properly clean it out. The problem you will run into is if you do not completely clean out the spyware, it will feed off itself and become bad again.

Sean
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 09:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll have to try the MS version....
About 2 weeks ago I backed up my HD data, wiped it clean and did a fresh install...wanted to make sure some old programs we don't use any more were totally gone.
Installed XP from the CD (yes, it's an original CD from MS...not a copy). Didn't even copy my data back...went straight to the MS site to load up SP2...When I was done I was already infected with the ToxBot virus....

I personally prefer McAfee over Norton for virus protection....
I prefer Firefox over IE for web browsing....
And we just dumped MSN as our ISP and went with SBCGlobal....same snailup phone line, but twice the real throughput and I don't keep getting that damned pesky PU that keeps asking me if I want to update my MSN Messenger.....I don't use messenger...I never will use Messenger...and if I don't want to update, that means I don't want to keep being asked about it....that one thing pissed me off more than any thing else.....even worse, you couldn't delete Messenger if you use MSN.......Microsoft....are you listening?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

I downloaded the Spybot that DDawg suggested and it worked, however It didnt not clean everything out. Im able to get on the internet now but it wont let me go to yahoo for somereason....I can go to any other website just fine but as soon as I click on yahoo it reverts me back to the same search page. I dont get it......
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I downloaded the Spybot that DDawg suggested and it worked, however It didnt not clean everything out. Im able to get on the internet now but it wont let me go to yahoo for somereason....I can go to any other website just fine but as soon as I click on yahoo it reverts me back to the same search page. I dont get it......

[/ QUOTE ]

Ad-Aware SE Personal..........search on this and see what you get......thats what the IT guy here at my office had to load to get that virus that you have off of my 'puter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode