Transmission Identification - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 09:48 AM
tmzphoto

Transmission Identification

I'm looking to install an aftermarket shifter in my 1999 Wrangler, so I need to identify which transmission I have. According to my research, the NV3550 wasn't introduced until the 2000 model year, so I should have the AX15. But both Hurst and B&M list the AX15 until 1998, and the NV3550 from 1999 on. Can someone clarify this? Was the NV3550 only included on 2000+, or did some 1999's have it as well? I got a Factory Build Sheet from Jeep, but it just says, "5 speed manual (DDQ)". Is there a way I can definitively determine which one I have? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Transmission Identification

Ah, an unanswered JeepCreep Question! Like I say, I may not answer every one of 'em, but I do read every one of 'em!

Glad you found your way to the Forum... The fist year for the NV3550 was 2000.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm not certain on what tranny you'd have, but doyou have a 4cyl or 6 cyl? I believe AX-15 is 6 cyl, so I'm guessing you have either the ax-15 or teh nv3550, what I was going to point out is that on teh ax-5 (behind 4 poppers) you can pull teh shifter out, turn it around 180º and re-install for a short shift. A buddy I work with did it adn told hurst about it. Hurst said they'd had engineers working on how to do a short shift for 3 years and couldn't come up with how to. they were impressed with my buddies idea and that's basically the kit they sell. I think you also have to slot the holes to make it fit. now, I don't know if teh AX-15 holds true to that too, but might be worth looking into.... free short shift. I was familiar with WHTTRASH's shifter in his TJ, adn when I drove my buddies the other day, I asked him aboout it, because I noticed it was different and pretty sweet shift feel to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:18 AM
tmzphoto

Thanks! Yes, I sent this to the Jeep Creep email, but thought this might be a quicker way. I'm sure the number of emails is huge.

I have the 6 cyl. Sorry, forgot to include that. So if I have a 1999, there is no way there is an NV3550 under there? So I should get the 1998 model for the AX15 then?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 12:29 PM

One sure fire way to get in trouble with a Jeep is to say "So and so year Jeep never or always used such and such a part.

In this case, might I suggest trying to ID the tranny instead of guessing based on the year and the probable trans in it.

Here is a great resource.

A few minutes spent here

Novak Adapter Tranny Knowlege Base

followed by a few minutes under the Jeep, will likely save you a LOT of grief later..

HTH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode