Jeep needs new shoes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Jeep needs new shoes

The 31/10.50-15 BFG MTs are about gone, and they only lasted about 20 years. In spite of that I'd like to replace them with another set, but the local dealer quoted $190 EACH for them. The set on there now only cost $105!

After helping me off the floor he suggested Dunlop Mud Rovers at $145 or Mastercraft MITs at $143.

I haven't shopped other stores, but don't figure that anywhere else will be a LOT cheaper. Who has suggestions or experience with the Dunlops or Mastercrafts?

And Aaron, I am still considering your buddy's Wally World Super Sport MTs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 08:00 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Jeep needs new shoes

I know Tom is running the Mastercrafts. You might PM him for feedback. It seems to me like his wore pretty fast on the road, but then again I'm not sure how many miles he actually had on them, only time.
The Walmart ones aren't too bad, especially for the $$ saved. Will runs them if you want another opinion. Only problem I have with them is the lugs are pretty close together so they don't clean out as well as others. I bet Kevin's price on them has come down more since Aaron first mentioned it to you. He's really itching to get rid of them.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Can't Get Enough

Jim, I got my new BFG's here at 4 Wheel Parts in Denver for 160.00 ea Mounted and balanced.....and they were 33x12.50. I had Dunlops on my truck a few years ago, I recommend them too. I have Mastercraft AT's on my truck now and like them also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:24 AM

Lift you self off the floor, bfg muds for $137 at www.tirerack.com usually shipping isn't too bad on stuff from there either. There's also the dulops for $96 a tire. We order from them all the time for work since their prices are somtime cheeper then our cost from our local sources and we don't get any different prices then you would. Chance the bfg's you were quoted could be comming from there. Wallmart will usually match internet prices and has pretty decent prices on tires to begin with.

Tires are an interesting business and there usually isn't much mark up on tires, we usually make up to $10 on a normal road tire and the swampers and stuff we sell at mag prices we don't make more then $7 a tire on.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Official Historian

The 33 and 35 have a more open tread pattern than the 31" super sport.

I was just looking at a 4 wheel parts wholesalers ad and they have 31x10.50 bfg muds for $142. As suggested, check around a bit more.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:39 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Cooper Tires
Good tires.
Of the big 4 tire mfgs, Cooper is the only one whose plants are all in the USA.
Check for a local Mom and Pop shop.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 11:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i got the dunlop mud rovers on mine and i only paid 100 per tires for a 32" went to tires plus, the store qouted me higher, but i brought the tires plus qoute from the internet and they said they'd match it....might want to give that a try
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 12:34 PM
oldsurferjoe

New Guy!

Hey just got a new 2006 Unlimited (Manual) - very nice -family is really happy - 14 year old son is still sitting in it.

Any how! The stock tires are ok but would like to know what all you think about the best upgrade here - the rims are 15 x 8 - pretty nice stock, The tires on it are 30x9.5R15LTB Wrangler OWL A/T's. What's the best max size on a stock set up. We are in California and run on rock and sand.

What do you all think!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Andy! That will save me at least $100. I do plan to look around some. Thanks Raduckal! I will look at Coopers. Good idea.

Welcome, Surfer Joe! Good to have you aboard. I can't help you with your question - don't know much about them newfangled Jeeps [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img] But I'm sure someone else can. If you don't get many responses here, start a new thread with your question in the title. I don't think you can go to much bigger tires on your 8" wide rims, though.

What you've done is called a thread hijack, since you're asking a different question than mine. Don't worry, we don't shoot hijackers. It's just that if you start your own thread you will attract the attention of those who might know the answer. Hang around - the answer will appear. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 05:23 PM

Jim definetly comparsion shop and get the tire shops in a price war, bring in the tire shop add and get a written quote and go to another and get them going back and fourth, usuually the big name shops will bit at the game

Surfer Joe 31's are about as big as you can go and they will rub on the lower control arm (not a big deal, it will just polish the arm and wear a little off the inner lugs). The 31's may rub on the flares/fender if you disconect the sway bar but it's not a big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode