Sorta OT: Trailer tires diff from passenger tires? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Sorta OT: Trailer tires diff from passenger tires?

The Jeep hauler I picked up last week has passenger vehicle-type tires on it vice trailer tires. Based on the sidewall weathercracking, I'm thinking a couple ought to be replaced.

Replace w/ matching pass. tires, or same diameter trailer tires?

What's the difference between trailer tires and passenger vehicle-type tires? So long as subject tires have sufficient load capacity, does it matter?

If more a cost issue (trlr tires cheaper?), I think I can find acceptable used pass. tires for what the trailer tires are going to cost me. Especially, if I have to replace all four.

FYI: Has electric brakes on both axles/all wheels.

As always, any & all advice/suggestions/recommendations is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Sorta OT: Trailer tires diff from passenger tires?

I can't answer your question, but I know that trailer tires are cheaper. I have always run 235 75 r15 used passanger tires. Some Day I will buy a new set to go on it cause I am about tired of swapping tires.

I always buy the light truck tires. Remember if you are hauling shortwheelbase, the trailer and Jeep are probably gonna weigh together what a full size truck does. So light truck tires should be just right.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Addict

I believe trailer tires are load rated more so than pass tires. They also have stiffer sidewalls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 03:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

GET TRAILER TIRES!!!!..... they have more plys in them.. sidewall included.. so they will be stiffer.. meaning they will not buckle under when you turn... you will also get many more miles out of them with less scrub... i think the last time i got any.. i got 4 for around $300 installed... but that was a few years ago..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Can't Get Enough

I've always heard that when buying tires for trailers you want tires with a strong /stiff side wall, passenger tires have thinner side walls and thus flex more, which equals more heat in the tires and weakening them. They won't hold up to the load as well either, and I wouldn't think this would be an area to skimp on
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 11:00 PM

Jeepgod is correct! Trailer tires, discernable with a T instead of a P or LT, are designed for just that, trailers! They are designed, especially for a tandem application, to be dragged sideways (scrub) when turning. Passenger car or light truck tires wont last doing that. Trailer tires arent expensive, last longer, and most have a tread pattern designed to help track straighter and brake well.

Do yourself a favor--get the correct tires for your application.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Sorta OT: Trailer tires diff from passenger ti

In addition to the above - I was told also that the compound in trailer tires holds up better than passenger type tire when left sitting for extended periods. P types "take a set" get weak from the weight being on one spot for a long time.

I do know that when I switched from passenger types to trailer types sway virtually stopped. Must have been the stiffer sidewalls.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
Jeepgod is correct! Trailer tires, discernable with a T instead of a P or LT, are designed for just that, trailers! They are designed, especially for a tandem application, to be dragged sideways (scrub) when turning. Passenger car or light truck tires wont last doing that. Trailer tires arent expensive, last longer, and most have a tread pattern designed to help track straighter and brake well.

Do yourself a favor--get the correct tires for your application.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'm sold on trailer tires...

Next question: PO swapped the wheels/tires from a Ford Ranger onto the trailer... Can I get trailer tires that'll properly fit on these rims, or will I also need to replace the rims also? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] (If I do 'need' trailer rims, I sure hope the PO still has 'em... and will give let me have them - gratis.)

Thanks for all the informative posts guys, appreciate your sharing of the braintrust. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Mud in my Veins

You can generally find a *some* sizes, others simply are not made. Also, stay away from Carlisle trailer tires! Recent discussions with other wheelers, other forums, and some personal experience show they *WILL* die horribly...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 06:54 PM

i usually run LT truck tires, but i run 285/75/16's.
i run 10-12 ply E rated truck tires. seem to work good for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode