Winch question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Winch question

I own an 02 Wrangler and Im relatively new to wheeling. I would like to buy a winch but need some input. I have seen some off-name brands that are half the cost of Warn winches (which seem to be the most popularly used) and list the same features and capacities. I'd like to save $, but ultimately I want a very reliable and capable piece of equipment, regardless of price (within reason). Anyone have any experience/recommendations. Also, should I look into aftermarket bumper setups? I dont really plan on running any supplemental lighting and hard core rockclimbing isnt my thing. Can I attach a 8000 or 9000 lb winch to the factory front bumper? Any help would be great and Im open to suggestions.

franco618
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Winch question

With a winch... you get what you pay for. Do it once and forget it... The tow bill for getting your rig outta the bush can easily be more that the difference betweeen the Chinese winch and the good ol' Warn winch.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 01:55 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You can't neccessarily "attach the winch to the front bumper", but you would be buying a "mount kit" which would provide a winch mounting bracket that would attach to the holes in your frame, on the front of the Jeep, in the area in front of the grill.

I think it would be wise to stick with one of the big 3 - Warn, Ramsey, or Superwinch. Some of the other products out there can be questionable.

Good luck
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Id rather know its good than hope it is
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 03:36 PM

I have never been sorry for buying the best, with overkill in mind, if it has a single line dead lift of 200% of my vechicle weight I may be interested....Rolling pull is BS, since it is rated by pulling down hill.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 04:48 PM

Welcome to the board! You finally made it. Now slap Toby around and get him to check in once in a while.

Whatever you get, check with me before you pay for a mounting kit. Unless the kit is real cheap we can probably glue one together from stuff laying around the shop.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 05:27 PM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
With a winch... you get what you pay for. Do it once and forget it... The tow bill for getting your rig outta the bush can easily be more that the difference betweeen the Chinese winch and the good ol' Warn winch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, Larry is absolutely on-the-mark w/ his comments. I could not agree more... esp'ly on the issue of winches.

I bought one of them POS WARN bargain basement winches - the 'Magnum' (now renamed something else - but probably still a POS [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] )... and am about disgusted w/ myself.

Best advice I can provide is "save your pesos and buy the 8274 pictured"... ultimately you'll be <u>much</u> happier.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Old Hand

Hey Frankie hows it goin! Good to see you on here. I would consider the winch Tom has, a Warn XD9000i. I think you can get one for around $900 and I've been super impressed with his, he's had it for years, even bought it used and has never had a problem, I sware to god.(the swear to god comment is an inside joke not meant to offend anyone) On the other hand my Warn M8000 has been fine...since I rebuilt it and moved the solenoid box under the hood. I wouldn't reccomend it, its pretty much Warn's el cheapo. The 8274 Leve reccomended is the best but it'll cost you too, just depends on what you want to spend. Good hearing from you and tell the ol'man I said hey.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]Aaron
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 10:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I actualy agree with the spend the money now and buy a warn, but I didn't and am very happy. I simply could not lay out the dough for what I wanted and ended up buying a 450.00 Tmax. I have no regrets. It has already paid for it's self and hasn't failed yet. I do not expect it to last like Tom's Warn, but for the money I can't complain.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

I've seen good results both ways cheap or expensive, but you will see less problems with a name like Warn. I run the el' cheapo Harbor Frieght 8000lbs and have found it to work quite well but if I had the money I would have purchaced a Warn. But I'm poor broke white trash so I got what I got and have yet to have a problem.
[ QUOTE ]
I sware to god.(the swear to god comment is an inside joke not meant to offend anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this to be a Donny Baker inside joke? If so you wanna buy a boat man?
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode