Help in checking out '87 MJ Commanche PLS! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Help in checking out \'87 MJ Commanche PLS!

Going tomorrow to check-out an '87 Commanche that's for up for "quick sale"... I don't know much (anything?) about MJ's so I thought I'd ask the experts - YOU!

Specs: 1987, 6 cylinder, automatic, 2 wheel drive, 123k mi. Gal selling it indicates tranny went out. (Seems she had tranny 'fixed' in CA, then drove it across country (to VA) about a year ago, and it just recently 'gave up the ghost'. Gal does not seem to be very mechanically savvy. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] )

I'm going to go look at it tomorrow to see if it is worth 'anything'. (Do a 'quick' repair and flip it... to fund my other projects. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )

I see that some of the '87's had the <font color="blue">AW30-40 tranny</font>(4spd O/D)... was/is this <font color="red">a good tranny?</font> Expensive to rebuild? Electronic/computer-controlled?

The 4.0 for that year was the Renix system, right? Any issues (things I should be aware of when checking it out?) w/ that?

Any thing else to look at/for?

Many thanks!

(Also posted over on Jeep mid-size forum, but it does not have the activity we have here...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 01:06 AM

Re: Help in checking out \'87 MJ Commanche PLS!

The AW4 is a great trans,IMHO. What it's going to take to fix dependes on what it's doing. If you can only shift it manually it may be nothing more than the controler. It's mounted under the glove box. Not sure about rebuilding one but they're all over the place in junkyards. All the 4.0's used that tranny if they were autos. The Renix system is OK, but not as good as the later ones. Good upgrade is Ford 5.0 injectors, they're a direct replacement and alot cheaper. Being an 87 MJ it very possibly has a D44 rear.
Keith
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

The AW30-40 is the same tranny as the AW-4??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 09:49 AM
Way Outta Control

The Renix fuel system is wretched to work on, and it's an orphan system. If you have to ask about the expense of the AT rebuild, then you can't afford it...if you're going to have it done at a shop then the costs will soar

I'd run as fast as possible from that Jeep.

Remember that CD I sent ya? It should have the AW4 and Renix Fuel System manuals on it...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
The Renix fuel system is wretched to work on, and it's an orphan system. If you have to ask about the expense of the AT rebuild, then you can't afford it...if you're going to have it done at a shop then the costs will soar

I'd run as fast as possible from that Jeep.

Remember that CD I sent ya? It should have the AW4 and Renix Fuel System manuals on it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang it all...

Thang's got a 173 V-6 in it. Could not get it to start at all. Sounded like no spark.

On a positive note however, it has the D44 rear axle and a nice tool box in the bed... might fit in my Scrambler behind the bench seat. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyone got a site for deciphering an '87 VIN?

I'm going to see if she'll just sign over the title for hauling it away... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Way Outta Control

VIN Decoder
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 07:10 PM

If it's a V6 it's not stock or not an 87. 86 was the last year for the 2.8L V6, and it was junk. Same motor as Chevy 2.8L.
Keith
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
If it's a V6 it's not stock or not an 87. 86 was the last year for the 2.8L V6, and it was junk. Same motor as Chevy 2.8L.
Keith

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely right Keith... per the VIN decoder that Larry was kind enough to post, it's an '86. And, you're also right about it being j-u-n-k.

What about that D44 rear axle... what's it worth? (Obviously, the differential ratio impacts value... can't believe I forgot to look! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img] )

Would that be a good - w/ a minimum of 'fuss' to install; i.e. simple - axle to throw under a widetrack CJ?

Can get whole thing for $200... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 10:55 PM

You could always make a cool trailer out of the bed half of the truck...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Would that be a good - w/ a minimum of 'fuss' to install; i.e. simple - axle to throw under a widetrack CJ?

Can get whole thing for $200... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can part it out and make money... but what's your time to strip it worth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode