Disapointed with american cars!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Disapointed with american cars!!!

I work as a car stereo installer and system fabricator for a living and as a result I spend alot of time taking apart and putting together all kinds of brand new cars. I would like to know what the heck is going on with american cars these days? Have all the companies gone nuts? Do they think that I'm stupid? I saw something today that shocked me into realization. I saw a 2003 monte carlo ss. I took it apart and put it back together and that car is GARBAGE!!! its all plastic its front wheel drive and its a six banger. AND THEY PUT SS ON IT!!! The new mustang as nice as it looks is cheap plastic, electronic garbage and slow to boot. why did they make it out of plastic? to save what? money? Why dont they take out the 90 thousand air bags to save money? or the abs brakes or some other usless thing? Heres an idea...why dont they stop building cars for people that cant drive and save the rest of us some money. point being theres a seatbelt law in ny....If I have to tell you to wear your seatbelt then your not smart enough to drive. What the hell has happened to American cars?
When a freakin Subaru is faster than a mustang gt you know there’s a problem. And what the hell happened to the camaro? An American icon…gone!!! 40 something years down the toilet. Why? Because it wasn’t selling….nobody bought them….waaaaaaaah… and why did nobody buy them? Because they made it the ugliest most unreliable piece of junk on the market…I used to love the camaro..now it’s a piece of history and a piece of junk.
Just imagine…a 30 thousand dollar piece of junk. Whatever happened to the good old days when cars were simple and they cost less? No its all about safety now…cars are so safe with the airbags and the seatbelts and crumple zones oooooooooohhhhhhh how fabulous. Front side rear seat windshield and freaking floor airbags in every car at about 2000 bucks a pop 20 g’s worth of car and 10 g’s worth of useless safety equipment. Government crap!!! Safety commission bought as usual…you wanna be safe? Take those godforsaken gunpowder filled hot air balloons out and replace them with 600 dollars worth of roll cage and 5 point safety harness. race cars that hit a wall going 160 miles per hour flip over and roll 6 times and the driver gets out and jumps for joy…meanwhile a 30 year old man hits a wall in a Toyota going 20 and the airbag breaks his neck… I think its fabulous.
anyway sorry for the rant hope nobody was offended but its been building for awhile and I needed to get it out
thanks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Disapointed with american cars!!!

Yeah, I agree. Lets get rid of all that foolish equipment like airbags and ABS brakes. I mean really! I'd much rather smash my face into my steering wheel and crack my skull open, or have glass shards embed themselves in my eyes making me permanently blind. And those darned ABS brakes. Geez, its just so much fun to slide out of control and lose all braking ability I once had. Maybe when that happens I can slam my car into someone without any of those pesky airbags so that I can inflict the same injuries on them. Then lets replace everything with metal so the car weighs 4 times as much and then we need huge gas guzzlers in every car. And it really is odd that America is the only one doing this. I mean why aren't all those Jap cars made out of plastic with small engines in them? We should all drive around in NASCAR cars which are just so cheap at close to half a mil sometimes with engines that need replacing after every 500 miles. You're just what the car companies need.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:39 PM
Old Hand

ya but back in the day when cars where like that people did not drive like morans because they had abs and air bags back in the day people where like o my steering wheel does not colapse when i crash man that would hurt if i do maybe i will drive more responsable and the camaro and monte after all its years its sad what they did to it its just like the nova what are people thinking when they design things [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:50 PM

I work at a chevy parts department and see the same old stuff fail day in and out. Was the monte ss supercharged? Did you drive it the monte and impala ss's will put a smile on your face when you mash the gas. We had a gold z28 camaro convertable with a tan top on our lot for a good 6 months and they ended up selling it for a huge loss since it was such an ugly car.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Addict

someone obviously missed the part about the built in roll cages and the 5 point safety harnesses...hard to smash your face into the steering wheel when your properly belted in and I have personally installed roll cages that hide in the pillars and a frames so you cant see them. and no nascars arent cheap but seatbelts are safer than airbags and you dont need abs brakes if you know how to brake properly. Abs brakes are designed to help people who panic in an emergency which is most of the population these days because they will hand out a license to anyone who can make a left hand turn and pull into a parking space...you know...PEOPLE WHO CANT DRIVE!!! why is it that cars are so much safer now but fatalities in car accidents are so much higher? Perhaps if people were more careful...who knows. My 1976 camaro weighed in at 2800 pounds and it was all metal...my jetta weighed in at about 2800 pounds and it was half plastic. got into an accident in the camaro going 40 survived and didnt get hurt with the seatbelt on. Cost me a thousand bucks to fix. got into an accident in the vw going 20. didnt get hurt with the seatbelt on , airbag failed to deploy...car cost 12 thousand dollars to fix. you figure out my point smarty pants! Like I said I'm not trying to start a war here I just think that american cars are shooting for something theyre not and they forgot where they came from. inexpensive reliable quality cars are a thing of the past. welcome to the land of expensive disposable junk! just my opinion and I'm sure there are others that think the same way
thanks for listening folks.
have a good evening.
I look forward to waking up going outside in the morning and climbing into my all metal american jeep with no airbags and no abs brakes and driving safely to work leaking about 4 different kinds of fluids the whole way but I know I'll make it. hehe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Did you ever think that there's more traffic casualties because there are more cars on the road now than ever before? And if you want to implement 5pt harnesses in every vehicle then you're foolish. There's no way people would wear those, and in fact if those were standard people would be even less likely to wear belts. They're great for racetracks when you only need very limited movement. In any road car you need a much larger amount of movement to safely operate the cars on the road with other traffic that isn't just going the same direction as you. Its not about the cost of the repair, but the injury it saves. I'd put money down that cars today are significantly safer now than their counterparts 25 years ago. Crumple zones may cost more to fix, but the damage on the body is a lot less. I'm an EMT and know how body's react in crashes. And you're complaining about American cars, yet you said your VW was the expensive one to fix. I have no doubt new cars don't last as long as old ones....but I also have no doubt they're safer and better to drive.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 01:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I Agree about the anti lock brakes, if you know what you are doing and can threshold brake then you are much better than any anti locks. We actualy order our new fleet cars without the anti lock if we can, sucks to have the breaks start vibrating when they get hot as opposed to when they are supposed to (Thanks Ford)

Ya I am not thrilled with the new stuff but we are stuck with it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 03:24 AM
Addict

[ QUOTE ]
I Agree about the anti lock brakes, if you know what you are doing and can threshold brake then you are much better than any anti locks.

[/ QUOTE ]

threshold.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]...braking... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].?

bet a lot of new drivers have no clue, but i fully agree, i cant stand [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]abs brakes my skills in the braking department have always been top notch and i find abs just F$%KS me up in an emergency [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

and how bout this for pleasure---drive an abs car in the snow---FUN TIMES

i dont mind the $1200 air bags that go off if u hit a squirrel, but leave the abs for the untrained drivers

ok....one more rant, how bout we treat drivers education as serious as we treat DWI nowadays, make the class long and difficult cause i dont know bout you guys but im sick of the plethora of idiots on the road now
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 03:49 AM

Well actually, I like plastic. Plastic doesn't rust and can take a large amount of deformity and still retain it's shape.

I have ABS on a van and in the winter it moans like a cow. I found this to be a problem with the tires. When I put good snow tires on the moaning went away because I had traction again. So if you have trouble braking with ABS in the snow. Your not going to be any happier making a turn in the snow either.

For some reason ABS in the van raised my insurance. ABS on my Liberty lowered my insurance.

I can't see why people don't wear seatbelts. One day I relized I didn't have my seat belt fastened properly and I broke out in a cold sweat. A funny reaction to something people do every day...

I do remember being fastened in a six point harness in my formula car and still smashing my helmit against the roll bar in an accident. I never thought a neck can streach so far. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've been fortunate I wasn't injured when I totaled 2 jeeps in seperate accidents. Seatbelts do work.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. Sorry it upset you knifeboy but you know theres a fine line and we could go back and forth all day and night and never agree. Thats the beauty of this country. Hope you didnt take it personal. I just think that the cars could be made safe, reliable, long lasting and cheaper. These days your sadly...just as safe in a 10,000 dollar hundai as you are in a 30,000 dollar monte ss and the hundai (even sadder) is probably better built...hence the 100,000 mile warranty. And if people were really worried about gas there wouldnt be 3 hummers and 15 escalades out there for every econobox now would there? cause you know gas prices are high so why not spend 150 bucks to fill up. Escalades half plastic and still weighs about 5 thousand pounds pretty much unsafe for all the drivers out there who still drive small vehicles. we have clean fuels and emmisionsless cars and safe cars...nobody wants em. same reason nobody wants 5 point harnesses...lazyness and being comfortable is more important than being safe.
It seems horrible to me that all these accidents could be avoided if people werent in such a rush and stopped doing supid things. I see people run lights at the last minute, slip under railroad crossings when theyre going down...cant do anything about it so I guess I gotta live with it and thank god for people like you out there saving these idiots lives [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
and I mean that...I'm not being an ass
thanks everybody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode