Questions about CJ5 Dana 44 rear - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

Questions about CJ5 Dana 44 rear

Buddy of mine blew his spider gears up this weekend and I have a couple of questions before we dig too far into this thing.
<ul type="square">[*]1. To remove the centering pin in the carrier it appears the ring gear must be unbolted and either removed or slid across the carrier to allow enough clearence to remove the pin is this right?[*]2. How do you remove the axle shafts, cnat's seem to get them to come out, it's not a c-clip axle so I know that ain't the problem...it almost seems like they're pressed in, is this the right idea or did I miss something on this one?[*]How difficult would the installation of either a spool or a locker be at this point since the carrirer has to come out anyways, I would think it would be the best time to do it, what about you?[/list]Thanks
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 02:22 AM
Addict

Re: Questions about CJ5 Dana 44 rear

cant say about the centering pin [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img], i never got that far....

for the axles you will have to remove the brakes(if memory serves [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img]) to get at the bolts for the hub bearing retainer, remove the retainer and she'll come right out with mild persuasion---watch out! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warning.gif[/img] theres oil in there so have a pan under there or you will be cleaning your driveway...lol not that i found out the hard way [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]....ok i did [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

i found the picture in 4WD hardware's catalog to be MOST helpful--note that there is no part number listed for that bearing retaining plate so dont bend it up cause ya apparently cant get 'em--also after much looking with my company's bearing supplier--get outer hub bearings from 4wd hardware--only place we could find those puppies

hope this helps....ill check my picture when i get home from work and post if im wrong
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 06:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
1. To remove the centering pin in the carrier it appears the ring gear must be unbolted and either removed or slid across the carrier to allow enough clearence to remove the pin is this right?

[/ QUOTE ]
depending on your gears, yes you just might have to pull the ring gear.
you are going to want to pull the carrier adn do this on the bench. You'll have to hammer (dead blow) the ring gear off. then press it back on.

[ QUOTE ]
2. How do you remove the axle shafts, cnat's seem to get them to come out, it's not a c-clip axle so I know that ain't the problem...it almost seems like they're pressed in, is this the right idea or did I miss something on this one?

[/ QUOTE ]
there are four or five (depending on your d44) retaining bolts that hold teh backing plate to the axle flange. pull those and pull the axle. if needed you can install your brake drum on teh axle backwards and use it as a slide hammer by only running the lug nuts down about a 1/4".

[ QUOTE ]

How difficult would the installation of either a spool or a locker be at this point since the carrirer has to come out anyways, I would think it would be the best time to do it, what about you?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd say it would be most beneficial to go ahead and do it now. you'll need to reset- up the gears from scratch. are you ready for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:28 AM

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]

Now, if memory serves me... (and I don't do may 44's...)
D-44 Doesn't use a crush sleeve, so keep factory shims from the pinion gear.
This isn't the last word, but it's a starting place when you print the gears for wear pattern.

You might see if you can find a pinion install kit at the local 'U-rent 'em tool places or auto parts stores, it's expensive to buy, so (preferably) borrow or rent the set up kit.
Once you figure out how it works, it will make your life SO much easier...

Get a 'Master Rebuild' kit, that should have all the bearings, seals, gaskets, shims and sometimes even good instructions, but don't count on the instructions...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

This is all good information...but does he really need it?

All that has to be replaced is the spyder gears...Mark the bearing caps. Pull the carrier out. Keep the shims in the right place. When you take the ring gear off the carrier, mark where it was so that it goes back on in the same place. Remove center pin. Replace spyder gears. Reinstall center pin. Reinstall ring gear in same place it was. Stuff back into housing using shims in same place....DONE!.

If you are going with a spool. Proccess is the same, just put the spool in place of the spyder gears.

If you are using a "lunchbox" locker (powertrax, lock-rite...) it's the same install as a spool.

You only need all the info from MBA and JYG if you are going to replace your carrier with a locker (detroit, arb, eaton e-locker...)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
You only need all the info from MBA and JYG if you are going to replace your carrier with a locker (detroit, arb, eaton e-locker...)

[/ QUOTE ]

or a spool, which is something he asked.... also he didn't say what kinda locker.... I've given up on asking if people really need to do this or that... just answer the questions that you know the answers to... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 12:02 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California

Ditto to what "lomodyj" says
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif[/img]
The pin is held in place with a roll pin that needs to be driven out .... can come out easy or hard ... use the right size punch/drift.

Axles are held in place by six 3/8's bolts under the brakes (same bolts hold on the backing plate). You can try to remove the bolts without removing the brakes by using the access hole in the flanged part of the axle (might have to remove a cover, just knock it out). Axle should then just pull out with a little force. The bearing race will probably stay in the axle housing along with the inter seal.
New wheel bearings/inter &amp; outer seals/gear oil/punkin cover/bearing grease will run you about $110 at napa (I just did it.)
There should be no gear oil in the bearing area (if inter seal is working. And no grease in the brake area if the outer seal is working. Very easy to damage the inter and outer seals when removing or install axles. Be careful.

Mark the ring gear &amp; carrier to be sure to get it back in the same spot. Use lock tite to reinstall. Clean the surface area of both the carrier &amp; ring gear. Put the ring in the oven at 150 degrees for 10 minutes (or use heat gun NO Torch!) and the carrier in the freezer .... goes together real easy.

And yes this is a very good time to install a locker!
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

Let us know how it goes! Good luck!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Addict

I had to take off the ring gear on my 44 to get to the pinion crosshaft. Loosen each bolt a couple turns, then whack the ring gear with a plastic or soft faced mallet, til it loosens all the way around the differential carrier. Remove ring gear bolts and tap off the gear. Definitely keep track of all shims and bearings for proper reassembly. If you put everything back in its original spot, your contact pattern should be as good as it was before disassembly, providing you don't change anything. I've heard some pros say not to reuse the ring gear bolts. I have every time, and not had a problem.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

Thanks for all the info guys...I beleive more information is better than not enough that way when I break another piece while taking everything apart I'll have an idea as to how to fix that too since I got it apart anyways. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode