Brake lights stay on... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Brake lights stay on...

A couple weeks ago I installed an brake booster from an XJ. When I first noticed that they stayed on is when I pulled my brake lines off my MC. I figured it had to deal w/ the proportioning valve where my brake wires go to. So, brakes are back up and running, but my lights stay on. I bled them, re-bled them but they won't go off. Any help? It's getting annoying pulling my battery lead off when I park.

There appears to be no shorts, no brake fluid puddles causing a short, etc.

And for me being a sparky, it's pretty humiliating. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Brake lights stay on...

The proportioning valve has nothing to do with the brake lights....assuming you mean the rear brake lights. The only thing electrical about the proportioning valve is the warning light. If one side fails, it causes a large differential to be created in the prop valve which pushes a piston one way or the other and lights up the "Brake" warning light on your dash.

You brake light switch is on the bracket that holds the brake pedel and stearing column. There is a clip that holds in in position, but you can move it in and out. Just reach up there and move it until the 'button' makes contact with the brake pedel arm.

This is what the whole mess looks like when pulled out. (mine does not look like this any more...all cleaned and painted).
See the little tab in front of the brake pedel that has a hole in it? That is where the brake light switch goes.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 12:21 PM

Is this on a CJ?
I can give some ideas like the switch on the brake pedal needs to be pushed in but if it's not a CJ then it would be pointless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 01:27 PM

If you used the little pivot mounted brake lite switch that the XJ had, that is probably the problem.. They're a real pain. It's a little micro switch that relies on the clearence of the nylon bushing to work..I'd just throw it away and mount a standard switch and bracket.
Keith
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

This post on the AJC-BBS may answer the part # question. Most of our Jeepsters and Commandos have a master cyl. mounted switch. They leak, they malfunction, they un hook themselves...so many of us are going to the peddle mounted switch (like there is in MOST vehicles).
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks everyone...got'r fixed. I never thought that the mechanism would line up different since all I did was bolt on the booster and not interchange anything else. But, I just needed to slide the switch forward about a quarter of an inch and walla! It's the stupid problems that cause the most brain damage I think...

Thanks again!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 05:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To quote someone.....

[ QUOTE ]
We learn by our mistakes...Thats why we are all so smart.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode