Please help me, Selling my Jeep in California - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Please help me, Selling my Jeep in California

I am not using this as a place to sell my Jeep, I am looking for advice only, if the moderators would like me to modify my post I have no problem with that, I am asking for guidance only. The link is only for peoples reviews to see if I left anything out that is of the legal nature. I have scoured the CA DMV website, as you can guess the Jeep is up to CA standards Can anyone give me some guidance on selling my Jeep in California. I really don't want to but right now is not the time for this hobby. I will definately pick it up again after I retire. I want to do it right the first time.
Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Here is the link to the posting.
http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/97088487.html

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 05:20 PM
bluecj77

Re: Please help me, Selling my Jeep in California

The pictures look very nice, but the smog thing would scare me away if I were a potential buyer. When your add says, "360 V-8 (not original equipment) no smog Engine runs like a champ," I take it to mean you have no smog equipment on the vehicle? I moved from CA to Oregon. I could not pass smog in CA with my jeep. It was a nighmare and I would hate to do that again. An '83 is not smog exempt so I would personally stay clear of your jeep. The 'frame needs work' comment also scares me. I could not give a dollar amount but it would be very low. Sorry. It certainly has some nice features though. Why not hold on to it until you are ready to get into jeeps again?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thanks blue, I know its going to be tough, I edited the posting to reflect off road use only and continue the restoration project.

We'll see [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 06:21 PM

Good looking Jeep. Since it's not going to be street legal in Calilfornia, you'll probably have better response in less restrictive states where it could be licensed. You might do better on E-Bay.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 06:22 PM

Yup - The fact that you can not smog this Jeep will keep many people away in Ca. Unless someone has intention of using it as an off road only Jeep.

By law if you sell it in CA you need to have it smogged first.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Its amazing how you can get into somthing so cool and not think about what might happen in the future.

Crap [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 07:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A classic example of what happens when you ignore the emissions equipment on the vehicle....

I'm not ragging on you...but I would be willing to bet that you thought about this as you pulled all of the emissions stuff off the engine. In reality, keeping the equipment there does not hurt performance or gas mileage as some think.

Think about it...engines now are putting out 300hp at almost twice the gas mileage and with 1/10 the emissions. Sometimes, technology is good.

I agree with the above...sell it out of state...even then, you are going to be limited. If the state does not have emissions laws...it will soon. A lot of people are not going to want to take on that problem. You may have to make the jeep smog legal to sell it....or change out the engine.

Good luck....let us know what happens.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I bought the Jeep with the 360 in it. Never had emissions to begin with, I saw it and thought oooh V-8. At the time I just wasn't thinking. I know blah blah, well if anything I just want to get rid of it at this point.

Lesson learned: Never buy or start a project that you have to use as a daily driver and drag it around the country while in the military.
I have to admit it has been fun but I have bigger things to concern myself with now.

Thanks for all your help.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Official Historian

You could try to pass it off as a 304 but even then, 1981 was the last year for a V8 in a CJ.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:28 PM

I doubt that Oregon, Nevada, Montana, New Mexico, Utah, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas . . . will have certification requirements for old vehicles in our lifetime. Of course, those are some of our least populous states.

Put a link in the For Sale thread. Can't hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode