i've got a wierd problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 11:13 PM
braves3331

i\'ve got a wierd problem

today i took the jeep on a test run up in the hills for about an hour, and she ran pretty good. i got it back, parked it in the driveway, turned it off, went to sweep out the garage for like 5 minutes, went back to the jeep to start it up and pull it in the garage, and she wouldn't fire. she would crank, but not fire.

i could hear the fuel pump turning on with no problem. i looked inside the throttle body, and a light smoke was coming from it. poured a dab of gas in it, and the smoke got a little heavier for a couple seconds...but still would not fire. so i pushed it in the garage, tried again, and nothing, so i let it sit.

4 hours later, i go out in the garage and see if she'll fire, and first try, she starts right up...

any ideas on what the problem might be? this is the first time this has ever happened to the jeep.

lately, the injector has been making noise, and i have plans to change it. but would a bad injector cause a problem like this? should i change the strainer on the fuel pump? one of the sensors maybe? any help is appreciated. thank you

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 06:18 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: i\'ve got a wierd problem

If you poured fuel down the throat the engine should have coughed if you had spark. So, IMHO, there's no spark. An injector ain't gonna cause that. This, then brings you back to the problem with spark. An electronic part is failing under the under hood heat and killing the ignition. IMHO.. I'd be looking at the ignition module as the first culprit.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 06:56 AM
Official Curmudgeon

[ QUOTE ]
turned it off, went to sweep out the garage for like 5 minutes,.

i could hear the fuel pump turning on with no problem.

i looked inside the throttle body, and a light smoke was coming from it.

4 hours later, i go out in the garage and see if she'll fire, and first try, she starts right up...

lately, the injector has been making noise,

[/ QUOTE ]

Id say leaking injector flooded the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I was thinking flooded too, but that is not related to any of the symptoms but the not starting. The smoke is coming out because something hot is hitting something cold.

Put the excelorator petal on the floor and crank it next time it does it. If it eventualy starts then flooded.

As for Ignition i would do some simple tests with a volt or continuity tester and see if there is juice... I had a strange electrical problem that I could not find everything but the coli checked out, got a new coil, and it still had no power, ran a new positive coil wire and fixed it.

I am rambling and have no Idea what your problem is, Just disregard everything I have typed!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 11:01 PM
braves3331

yea i don't think it was flooded because i did try to hold the petal to the floor, and it didnt even act like it wanted to start. but it fired up 4 hours later on the first try like i said.

so i may try the ignition module as suggested. how do i test that (where do i put the leads)? and what am i looking for?

thanks for all the help
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 07:15 AM

The chain parts stores - O'Reilly, Autozone, Pep Boys, NAPA etc. - will test it for free if you take it in. To test for heat related problems, put it on the tester and then hold a hair dryer or heat gun on it for a while.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 11:55 AM

I have had issues like this with cherokees in the past and found the problem to be with the Crank Position Sensor. Im not sure if that is your issue, or if yours even has one (it would be on the back of the motor or bellhousing) The issue is often due to a bad connection where it plugs into the harness. Just a thought.

Greg
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Way Outta Control

Just had one like that last week. Complaint - park it in the hot sun, no start. Occasionally dies, no start for a couple of hours. Cherokee 4.0.

Parked it in the sun to get a tan - finally got it to "not start." Tried looking for spark when it wouldn't start - none.
Wiggled the cable to the Crank sensor - got spark again. Fired right up.

While running I pulled on the crank sensor cable - died, wiggled the wire, started again.

Seemed to be a break in the wire near the sensor. Replaced, she's still running - think I got it.

By the way - the bolts on the sensor - 11 MM. On the back of the Bellhousing, near the top, left side. Hard to see unless you hold your mouth right. $39 at the dealer.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Put the excelorator petal on the floor and crank it next time it does it. If it eventualy starts then flooded.

[/ QUOTE ]

does this work on fuel injection?? I know it works on a carb'ed vehicle.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Old Hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

does this work on fuel injection?? I know it works on a carb'ed vehicle.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's flooded and everything else is working properly,,, Yes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode