Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   3mpg??? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/212607-3mpg.html)

74jeep 09-11-2005 08:43 PM

3mpg???

I figured it up and i think im gettin 3 mpg in my 74 cj-5. is this even possible?? ive only got 31's and its a 232, man. trans.
Sombody please tell me that I messed up in my calculations

JeepnGreg 09-11-2005 08:49 PM

Re: 3mpg???

odometer is wrong? or you have a gas leak.

also are you measureing the gas by what you put in, or by what the guage says?

Junkfood 09-11-2005 10:46 PM

How are you figuring it? Are you dividing number of miles driven by number of gal used?
Keith

LEVE 09-11-2005 10:54 PM

Keep it Simple!

())=YJ=()) 09-12-2005 05:53 AM

Awesome LEVE, thanks.

minesbroken 09-12-2005 07:31 AM

Thanks for the calculator Leve! I struggled enough with my mpg but now I can calculate dollars without feeling stump dumb [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I still dont know if my odometer is correct hehe jeep has 31's not too big but a far cry from stock on an 88. My spare looked like a dunkin donut danglin on the back of the tailgate when I picked it up.

Jim_Lou 09-12-2005 07:59 AM

Calculate a correction factor for the odo. Drive a known distance - mileposts on an interstate are usually pretty accurate. Then divide the actual distance by the distance on the odo, and save that number. When figuring mileage, multiply that number by the reading off the odo and use the result as miles traveled.

And for gasoling useage, use the reading off the filling station pump.

Still, I don's see how you could possibly get 3.4 MPG in normal driving. You either have a leak or you're doing your calculations way wrong.

jeepnut_nh 09-13-2005 01:36 AM

just a thought, but ill bet if i did a lot of wheelin (specially in 4 low) i would get 5 or 6 a gal in mine, i can see the difference in a tankfull just wheelin a couple hours

John_Strenk 09-13-2005 04:06 AM

I always found it interesting that when I'm plowing snow I'm good for 6 hours before I need to fill up.

If I'm driving down the road at 50 MPH I good for 6 hours.

Maybe I should look at Gal/min instead of gal/mile! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

GoldToyBox 09-13-2005 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just a thought, but ill bet if i did a lot of wheelin (specially in 4 low) i would get 5 or 6 a gal in mine, i can see the difference in a tankfull just wheelin a couple hours

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to own a 75 dodge club cab 360 with 33's, I check mileage on several hunting trips (100% 4 wheel low range driving) and mileage ranged from 4 to 5 mpg. On the freeway it did 15 to 18 mpg. Just something to judge yours by. I've never check the "Heep" but I know it's about the same.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]