OT:Hurricane Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Addict

OT:Hurricane Question

I was just looking at pictures on CNN and am stunned know the people in the dome lost everything and are devastated BUT... I am totally serious when I ask. Why would you literally SH!T where you slept? Out of all of those people you would think after a couple of day's someone would step up and try to organize and lead. Those pictures show people had crapped on the kitchen countertops, on the floor where they slept and anywhere else they happen to be standing. I am truly baffled. Does anyone have a rational explanation? I must be stupid because I can't wrap my thick skull around it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT:Hurricane Question

um... uuuuuu....eeerrrrrrr.....ya.....

can't think of any reasons either....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 09:20 AM

We have(had) a branch office in Metairie, LA - which basically is a VERY close suburb of New Orleans.

Louisiana pays about $25 per year in property taxes. Now, I'm not one to promote taxation - but think about how well-funded their public schools are?

When talking to our rep from New Orleans, he always would (in his southern 'Orlean drawl)

"Seeeauuuuunnn.... they's all jus' DUM!!!!!"

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 11:46 AM

My first RANT ALERT.

I think that most of the people in the dome were from the very bottom of the ladder, in training, social standing, real world experience, education and a lot of other ways. Anyone with enough sense to pour p!$$ out of a boot either got out of town before it hit, or had the resources to take care of themselves.

When you're dealing with people who for several generations have lived off the dole, you have to keep in mind that they have never had to THINK about what they do. Their most complex activities are signing up for the check and going to the store.

Because they've never had to work for what they get, they have little respect for their property, and much less for other's. They probably didn't crap next to THEIR cot - they went over to their neighbor's cot.

Years ago a friend had a summer job cleaning project apartments in East St. Louis after the tenants had moved out. He said that it was quite common to find soiled diapers in the freezer. The tenant was too lazy to dispose of them, but they would stink if left laying around. In the freezer the stink was sealed in. Think about after the power has been off for several weeks. Summer job.

In the paper this morning I read that the Red Cross wants to recruit and train 40,000 volunteers to help out in their shelters, which are housing 160,000 refugees. My first thought was "With 160,000 refugees there must be 40,000 people who could help run the shelter they're living in." Second thought was "Sadly, probably not."

Rant over. I'm better now. You may return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Even a dog is smart enough NOT to Sh!t where they eat! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Can't Get Enough

Our tax dollars hard at work!!!
From the NY Daily News;
[ QUOTE ]
Lavish tastes of card-carrying lowlifes

Profiteering ghouls have been using debit cards distributed in the wake of Hurricane Katrina - intended to buy essentials for evacuated families - in luxury-goods stores as far away as Atlanta.

"We've seen three of the cards," said a senior employee of the Louis Vuitton store at the Lenox Square Mall in affluent Buckhead, who asked not to be named. "Two I'm certain have purchased; one actually asked if she could use it in the store. This has been since Saturday."

The distinctive white cards were distributed by the Red Cross and the Federal Emergency Management Agency and carry a value of up to $2,000.

"It doesn't say anything on the card other than alcohol, tobacco and firearms cannot be purchased with it," the store employee told me. "There's nothing legally that prevents us from taking it, unfortunately. Other than morally, it's wrong."

The source told me that the two women who had made purchases with the card each bought a signature monogrammed Louis Vuitton handbag in the $800 range.

"They didn't look destitute by any stretch. You would never have said, 'They must be one of the evacuees.' … The one that I dealt with yesterday was 20. She'll be 21 next month." The source described the reaction of other store-keepers in the mall - which includes luxury brands Ferragamo, Burberry, Judith Leiber and Neiman Marcus - as "outrage."

[/ QUOTE ]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even a dog is smart enough NOT to Sh!t where they eat!

[/ QUOTE ]

Rant II

. . . and from that you may conclude that the people we're talking about don't have the sense or manners or training of a dog. Any questions?

End Rant
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

And people cannot understand why from the beginning of this I have been a crabby goat about the "help" we have sent to the area. I don't contribute to the red cross or salvation army, but I might give to an individule. Like the american jeepster guy.

Most people in a given event do not have the sense to make decisions to ensure their own survival let alone have the sense to lead others. It pathetic and unfortunately our future.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Way Outta Control

There's an ol' addage I heard as a kid:

You can take the kid outta the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto outta the kid.

It takes a lifetime for some to overcome this problem. You now are seeing an example of that...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:33 AM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
I was just looking at pictures on CNN and am stunned know the people in the dome lost everything and are devastated BUT... I am totally serious when I ask. Why would you literally SH!T where you slept? Out of all of those people you would think after a couple of day's someone would step up and try to organize and lead. Those pictures show people had crapped on the kitchen countertops, on the floor where they slept and anywhere else they happen to be standing. I am truly baffled. Does anyone have a rational explanation? I must be stupid because I can't wrap my thick skull around it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweatpea, God bless ya for starting this thread... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bow.gif[/img] many 'like' thoughts been running through my mind as well. Guess 'great minds think alike', eh? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warning.gif[/img] long & rambling...]

Just as others have said, or alluded to, I cannot provide a full answer to your question... But, can provide some personal experience/observation(s) gained from some foreign military travels/operations...

When we (22nd MEU) deployed to Western Africa to evacuate non-combatants from Congo, then actually evacuated 2500 from Sierra Leone, I received a good 'life lesson' and some telling insight into colonialism and 'folks'... In the Congo I saw what used to be a beautiful colonial cities/communities... but it was very apparent to me, once the colonizing powers were 'run out', there was no more building, maintenance or repair pursued by 'the natives'. IMHO only the bare minimum was/is done to keep the communities functioning. I saw a lot of what I would call 'loafing' by able-bodied males, and <u>avoidable</u> squallid living (conditions) by the populace. Personally-observed examples include children & adults squatting in the middle of busy sidewalks to leave their 'calling cards' - this was in the capital city.

Once we left the Congo, we steamed north to do the mega-evacuation of 2500 via helicopter and completed in three days of flying. (Ambassador had told us there were 250 US citizens to be evacuated. We ended up w/ over 10x the number... of all nationalities.) Our Marines and sailors gave up their living spaces for the evacuees... who promptly sh!t & p!ssed in every nook and cranny on the ship, and then stole anything (to include personal items of their rescuers) not bolted down... and many things that were locked up! The post-operation cleaning was incredible. Even worse, some of the folks evacuated on Day #1, processed and transported to the safe haven (Conakry, Guinea), somehow made their way back to Sierra Leone and lined up to be RE-evacuated on day 3 &/or 5! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] (Why, you ask? G-R-E-E-D!) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

Yep, 'you can take folks outa the [insert environment of your choice], but you cannot take [it] outa them'. Might also add this truism 'Can lead a horse to water, but cannot make 'em drink.' A few others apply, but I'll forgo listing them... for now.

Must admit, the difference in values/traits/etc I've observed between city & country dwellers (broadly defined) is like night & day. The 'gimme every/anything'-crowd and the 'self-sustainers'.

Finally, for those who have never 'visited' New Orleans, didja know the city was full of 'drive-in frozen daquiri stands? Like a Baskin Robbins in terms of flavors... as memory serves accurately, I believe the jumbos were around 60 ounces. Supposedly, as long as the straw was not inserted, it was not considered an open container by the local gendarmes. Huh?!?!?!

Pathetic, isn't it?

[Off ramble]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode