Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   ARB Air locker rear-end problem (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/212577-arb-air-locker-rear-end-problem.html)

coveyma 09-11-2005 01:28 AM

ARB Air locker rear-end problem

when I bought my jeep the guy I got it from said there was somthing wrong with the rear end but didnt know what.

well today I took off the differential cover and everything looks fine but when I turn it it sounds like there are a bunch of little pieces of metal are rilling around inside the locker. anyone know if I will have to replace the whole setup or just something inside thats not as expensive

Jim_Lou 09-11-2005 06:18 AM

Re: ARB Air locker rear-end problem

Depends on what part the little pieces of metal came from. When you figure that out, get replacement part prices. It will almost surely be cheaper than a whole new locker.

elusive 09-11-2005 10:32 AM

tought call... the ARB interal parts are made of 300M...I have never seen one actually break..
Check the pinion gear carefully, and all of the bearings.
If you still see nothing wrong, remove the carrier and disassemble the locker (they are pretty simple). U lots of red loctite when you re-assemble it.

pbmcauliffe 09-11-2005 01:16 PM

We pulled the dented cover off a buddies 60 and there was small metal pieces in there from the ARB also, turns out they were retaining tabs pressed onto the bolts holding the ARB together and they were knocked off from the cover. The guy that built the axle said it "should" be okay w/o the tabs because they use locktight on the bolts as well.

coveyma 09-11-2005 02:04 PM

well when I took the cover off there wasnt anything in there. unless the guy I got it from cleaned it out first. but inside the carrier I can hear little chiunks of something rolling around in there. everything was clean and the gears looked good all the way around.

how hard is it to get the ring and pinion lined up correctly the way it is now? I have never taken a diff apart before and I dont wanna have to get it towed to a shop later on because I messed it up worse.

Thanks for the help

Jim_Lou 09-11-2005 03:29 PM

Do ARBs clunk and bang like full-time lockers?

coveyma 09-11-2005 04:18 PM

from what I have read no they do not. they are supposed to be pretty quiet

Jim_Lou 09-11-2005 06:17 PM

I think that's right - just wasn't sure.

GP'n 09-11-2005 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do ARBs clunk and bang like full-time lockers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely not they are quite as a church mouse when off,,, come to think of it when they are on too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

coveyma 09-12-2005 02:33 PM

so how difficult is it to tear the rear-end apart and get it back to gether right withought messing up the alignment of the ring & pinion?