Finding the VIN on a 77 CJ7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 07:28 PM
bluecj77

Finding the VIN on a 77 CJ7

I am going to try to register my Jeep in Oregon. They require a VIN inspection, which as far as I can tell is just making sure the VIN on the vehicle matches the VIN on the title. I am a little bit worried about this because I can't find any VIN tags. Where should I look for the VIN number? There is supposed to be one on the firewall right? And one by the wiper motor? Anyone have pictures of these locations? I remember reading that there is one on top of the frame by the rear passenger tire, but all I can find there is 'J 7' followed by the serial number. I will talk to the DMV on Monday and see if that is good enough, but in the mean time I would really like any info on where to find my VIN. Thanks in advance for any advice or information you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Addict

Re: Finding the VIN on a 77 CJ7

I have done alittle research on your question and it seems that alot of people with 77 cj's have found the vin on the frame somewhere not sure where yet but When I googled it it came up with alot of people having the same problem as you. Seems logical that it would be on the frame now just need to find out where hehe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
and yaaaay I'm a newbie
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 09:42 PM
bluecj77

If nothing else your reply is encouraging. I think I had a web page about this awhile back, I just don't remember where. Thanks for the help so far. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 10:15 PM

There is a hidden VIN on top of the frame rail. It's on the right side over the rear axle. It's hard to see and you might have to unbolt the body.
Keith
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Try this page... I have found some others but can't find them at the moment.

<u>Brian's Military Jeeps helps you 'Keep Em Rolling'. </u>

The page is really long, so if you have to.... do a find on this page for "AMC Jeep CJ Serial # / VIN & Production Figures 1975 - 1986"

Gives Tag locations and how to extract them.

Also if we get Jim Lou's attention.... he likely has the correct FSM.... Not to mention that he has taken his Jeep down to the very last nut and bolt. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Good Luck Searching....

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 01:38 AM
bluecj77

Junkfood - I think I understand the place you are describing, but all I see there is J7 followed by the last 5 digits of my VIN. Is the entire VIN supposed to be there and I am just not seeing it? Disregard the dumb picture, but is the arrow pointing to where you are describing?

OlllllllOCJ - That is an excellent page. Thank you very much. I will have to check a couple of those locations tomorrow. As an interesting side note, it looks like mine originally came with a T150 trans. So it is even more butchered than I thought. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Thank you all for the info so far.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 06:26 AM

The arrow is the place. On my '78 the whole serial number is there, but there's no telling what AMC did in any year. Also on my '78 there is a steel tag pop-riveted to the firewall just below the electrical connector block. There's a picture on my website.

I think the serial number was stamped into the tub somewhere too, but I don't remember exactly where. With the last six digits on the frame you're probably good to go. The J means it's a Jeep, the 7 means it was built in 1977.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 06:43 AM
Can't Get Enough

My '79 frame was rusted so bad the number just wasen't there. I had nothing on the firewall but there is a plate riveted on top of the radiator support near the horn. If that was the case with your's and the front end was damaged maybe the plate was never transferred over to the new grill shell? Also I have a decal on the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel where the left speaker grill should be. On the '85 it had a couple plates on the firewall by the brake mc, nothing on the grill shell, but it had a plate riveted to a bracket that was sandwiched between the wiper motor and the windshield frame. I've registered cars in a couple different states. Usually if you hand them a title, all the information being on there, they just set you up with a new title. Why would they question it if it was previously registered in another state? Well good luck.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 07:57 AM
Addict

Try looking here after further searching this looks like the best spot to check. look all the way at the bottom of the page: http://members.aol.com/brimiljeep/We...NumberLocation
Happy hunting [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Addict

OOps didnt realize someone beat me to the punch [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] anyway good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode