Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Exhaust for CJ5 with AMC 401 and Hedman hedders (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/212559-exhaust-cj5-amc-401-hedman-hedders.html)

coveyma 09-10-2005 05:03 PM

Exhaust for CJ5 with AMC 401 and Hedman hedders

1 Attachment(s)
does anyone know if there is someone who makes an exhaust for a cj5 with an AMC V8 and headers? or do I have to get an exhaust shop to make it for me?

thanks

mbalbritton 09-10-2005 06:06 PM

Re: Exhaust for CJ5 with AMC 401 and Hedman hedders

Pacesh!tter makes a kit, but I HIGHLY RECOMEND you STAY AWAY from it. I order it because it was "bolt in".... YA RIGHT! I wrestled with it for several hours before surrendering and taking to a mufffler shop to have them put it in. the guy there messed with it for a while and said it wasn't going to work. he had to make a new exhaust system for it.

there are guys here that have pieced together their own systems and they do fine. I'd recomend that you drop the cash and have someone do it for you in a couple hours and be done.

marine02 09-10-2005 09:06 PM

I would agree with Brent, most of the bolt ons I have seen are a pain in the ass, and usually require some modifications. I would buy the tubing yourself and make it, if you don't have the resources to do that have an exhaust shop do it.

OlllllllOCJ 09-10-2005 09:34 PM

Nice CJ5.

In frame aftermarket headers for AMC V8s hang down too low and are in just the wrong place to make off road use comfortable. The header collector is just asking a rock to come up and smack it into other things like the clutch linkage.

The ones that go out board the frame put the rest of your exhaust too low (and maybe not legal in some states).

But since you are tooling around in CA where a hot 401 with a kewl rumble sound gathers up all of the hot chicks. You only want to play in the desert and won't be going over any pesky rocks..... Why not.

All in how you want to use it.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale

coveyma 09-11-2005 01:04 AM

well thanks for the info right now I have a couple 2 ft pipes going straight back and 2 mufflers with dump outs just before the rear-end.

coveyma 09-16-2005 02:52 AM

so do any other people have this or have any other better Ideas that arent expensive as pacesetters?

mbalbritton 09-16-2005 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so do any other people have this or have any other better Ideas that arent expensive as pacesetters?

[/ QUOTE ]

aren't as expensive? that is the cheap kit......