Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   In reverse and first gear jeep shakes violently?? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/212540-reverse-first-gear-jeep-shakes-violently.html)

minesbroken 09-09-2005 10:23 PM

In reverse and first gear jeep shakes violently??

1 Attachment(s)
When I start to let out the clutch in reverse or in first gear sometimes I get a funny noise under the jeep and it shakes violently. Doesnt happen all the time. I notice it more when its warmed up wich doesnt make any sense to me. any ideas?

Grapehead 09-09-2005 10:40 PM

Re: In reverse and first gear jeep shakes violentl

most likely clutch or flywheel runout or wear

OregonSahara 09-09-2005 10:40 PM

Re: In reverse and first gear jeep shakes violently??

What's the pic about? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

May be one or more of a lot of things: spring u-bolts loose, bad driveshaft u-joints, bad clutch, bad motor mounts, bad leaf springs (not likely). Start looking, good luck.

Mine was doing something similar and it turned out to be motor mounts.

minesbroken 09-09-2005 10:46 PM

The clutch is new, The motor mounts look ok (rubbers still there) u joints in the back are new and the front is getting changed tomorrow. But this problem doesnt occur in 4 wheel drive so ive noticed. The springs on the other hand are missing all the spacers and the shackles are worn out. plan on replacing the springs soon anyway. so Ill hope thats it and I'll let you know [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] wrong picture lol as nice as my back seat is!

cnr 09-09-2005 10:58 PM

Oil on the clutch (from an engine rear main seal leak) can cause clutch chatter.
John

OregonSahara 09-09-2005 10:59 PM

Even though the rubber in the mm's 'look' good, you may want to rev the engine with your throttle linkage and watch how much the torque moves the engine.

Mine also 'looked' good from above, but when I pulled them, they were toast.

Easy test.

**DONOTDELETE** 09-10-2005 12:06 AM

New clutch? Check your bolts that hold the bellhousing to the engine.

Aftermarket clutches will also cause the same problem....especially cheap ones.

Did you use the same pressure plate?

Grapehead 09-10-2005 08:29 AM

did you get the flywheel resurfaced when you put in the new clutch? might not have been cut right.

minesbroken 09-10-2005 08:49 AM

I think the clutch is ok upon further inspection and am now leaning towards the motor mounts or tranny mount. The springs are worn but I dont think that would cause this kind of shaking. Like I said it only happens once in awhile and mostly when its warmed up. and mostly when I start moving when I'm making a turn I noticed. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jim_Lou 09-10-2005 10:37 AM

Your problem is clutch chatter. If the clutch really engages smoothly it won't chatter, even if a spring or motor mount is broken. If everything else is top notch, it might be enough to prevent the chatter, but until you fix the clutch problem, regardless of cause, the chatter will be waiting for an opportunity to return.

CNR, DDawg or Grapehead have probably supplied the final answer.

My clutch was fine for 70K miles, including plowing a lot of snow, but gave up when it got soaked by a valve cover leak. I replaced it with an aftermarket unit. The the flywheel wasn't scored or checked, just shiny, so I didn't resurface it. Within a few hundred miles the clutch began to chatter occasionally. So far I just live with it and operate it very carefully in the low gears.