? About Factory Locking Diffs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

? About Factory Locking Diffs

Are most factory locking differentials selectable (like ARB), or automatic (like Lock-Right)? I know the Rubicon uses selectable, but what about Toyota, Dodge, Land Rover, etc.? The reason I am asking this is because I always heard that automatic lockers were unpredictable and dangerous on snow and ice. I would assume that most, if not all factory lockers would be selectable for this reason, but I was just curious. If I was given bad info and automatic lockers can be driven safely on snow and ice (in a DD), then I will probably buy one. Right now I am saving my pennies for a selectable rear locker. $$$ to buy and more $$$ to install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 09:59 AM

Re: ? About Factory Locking Diffs

I don't know for sure about the 'Rovers, but the Toyota and Dodge were/are both selectable lockers. I think it's more of a liability issue than anything else. You figure the average soccer-mom/keep up w/the Jones type just thinks they can get in and drive their "SUV" with the emphasis on Sport, not Utility.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Official Historian

I have had lockrights in mine for 5 years now. It has handling quirks but after a while, you get used to it and it is predictable. I also love them on snow and ice. You shouldn't be driving any faster than if you didn't have them anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 03:13 PM

That is true but how many times have you been cut off/passed/etc by someone in a Suburban/Expedition/etc being driven like a sports car. Around here, more times than I care to count... I have even been passed (like I was standing still) by a guy in a "sanford and son" special loaded to the gills with crap and towing a trailer equally stuffed... and I was doing 70. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 04:49 PM

I'd say it depends on your "snow" conditions.

For me, living in Whistler with my parents for 3 years with my jeep. there was no question.

If I were to drive the Sea to Sky highway (dubbed the Highway of Death because its known to be the most leathal stretch of highway in North America) with a locker, it would just be stupid.

It's 150 km, that for 6 months of the year atleast 70+ km of it are under snow or ice. The other 80km of it normally has rain.

The barricades are pathetic, and any loss of control means plumiting to your death down into the valley.

An automatic locker just wasnt worth the risk.
Now that I dont drive that highway 1-2 times a week, any only like 4-5 times a year, I'm definitely going to start looking for an auto locker.

Even if its pradictable, there are some situations/conditions where you just shouldnt risk it.. think about the entire situation from an insurance brokers mindset.. and weigh the risks vs. payoffs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode