Exhaust recommendation - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 09:01 PM
jemjr

Exhaust recommendation

I'm wanting to run my exhaust system before putting the tub back on the 78 CJ7 with 360. I have a couple of questions for you guys that have been through this before.

1. Do you recommend headers ($) or stock manifolds.
2. I'm thinking I will run the exhaust out right in front of the rear tires. I have a plastic gas tank so I need to avoid that area if possible. Recommendations or suggestions??
3. I want a rich, throaty sound but not overly loud. Recommendation on muffler?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Addict

Re: Exhaust recommendation

Go Borla...Whenever in doubt Go Borla. Stainless steel, Throaty but not annoying, Million mile warranty. need I say more?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Veteran

I am running dual 2.25 pipes straight back, tucked up nice and tight all the way back through 40 series flows. Stock manifolds. If I had to do it over again I'd probably run 50 series flows. As long as the pipes aren't rubbing the tank you should be fine going out the back even with poly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Headers hang down low on a CJ-7 with a V8.... Even the frame outboard headers....

Most of the stock exhaust solutions from the AMC days involve a crossover pipe that also runs down pretty low for a trail Jeep. I haven't been able to find stock exhaust manifolds that were intended for dual exhaust, surely there were some (or not).

Depending on how you intend to use that Jeep.... Headers just might not be a great idea.

Sorry that I don't have a great solution for you... I've been looking around for that too.

Custom exhaust is the only answer?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 12:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sanderson makes a good block hugger header....I've heard good things about them....
But, I think you are better off with stock exhaust manifolds....overall, less maintance....and typically more room to work with. Unless you have made mods to the engine, headers will do nothing for you in terms of performance.

Borla is a good choice as well as Flowmaster. There is a lot to be said for a 1 million mile warranty....assuming you don't park it on a rock first....but remember, when it comes to noise...a deep throaty sound is nice....at first...but when you have to live with it day in and day out....just ask any of the guys that have supper swampers on their daily driver.....ask them how they like the noise. And don't forget...get it too loud and you won't be able to hear any problems with the engine. Personally, I like being able to hear the engine.

As for bringing them out in front of the wheel....don't do it. First off, in some states thats not leagal. Second, if you stop next to a rock wall for a short time with the engine running....guess what you are going to be breathing....third...the pipe does not get hot enough to melt the plastic tank...as long as you're at least a couple of inches away from it....and besides, you have a metal gas tank shield....right?...forth...to bring it out in fromt of the rear tires means you have to go under the frame....guess what one of the first things that is going to get torn up on the rocks?

Sometimes the factory does do it right......
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 10:31 PM
cnr

I recommend a stock type set-up (cast manifolds, Y pipe, one muffler with the tail pipe at the rear). I just changed over from headers and duals and the loss of power has been negligible. If you go with stock manifolds, You will need to get them from a CJ. One side (I can’t remember which) is different on full size Jeeps.
John
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Veteran

Actually it is the year on the manifolds that makes a difference. My engine and manifolds were out of a 78 waggy, same year as my cj and they work fine. I can't remember what the years you want are, I'm sure someone will chime in with that if needed.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Old Hand

the manifolds in my 72 cj came from a 79 j-truck, and the work perfectly with the duals i had on the stock 72 cj manifolds.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 05:55 AM
jemjr

Thanks to all! Your advice is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode