Ford C6 in a CJ7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Ford C6 in a CJ7

My youngest grandson gave me his 83 Bronco. The 302 engine was rebuilt by Dvorak (local machine shop that builds racing engines) less than a thousand miles ago. The 302 is basically stock except for a RV cam. My grandson has moved on to other things and the Bronco doesn't fit into his plans at this time.
Right now I have a 304 in the CJ7 with a Ford t-18 and Dana 20 xfer case. I am having problems working the clutch due to Arthur in my left knee. I want to go automatic and the C6 was rebuilt about the same time as the engine.
Finally, my question. Has anyone put a C6 in a CJ7? If so, what were the problems encountered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 10:41 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Ford C6 in a CJ7

I'm thinking you are all alone on this one.

The C6 is a BIG transmission. I think it would fit in the tunnel of the JEEP. But it's going to want to shove the transfer case backwards.

The main problem is that FORD has not been promoted with all the swapping going on. Most run chevys. And I'm not sure that ANYBODY makes a swap kit to adapt it to the DANA300 transfer case.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 09:19 AM

He's right, the C-6 is a BIG trans!
Lots and lots of trans there...
You will need adaptors for both engine and transfer case.

Does your radiator have factory auto trans cooling line ports installed? (most do)

TH-400 came factory in the CJ-7, and I still have the TH-400 that came out of mine...
'Texas 5' adaptor, and fresh internal wear parts.
Reasonable price or more importantly, interesting trades accepted.
The good part of this is it's a bolt in, already has the AMC bell housing bolt pattern.
I think I still have spacer plate, flex plate and ring gear here for a 304 also...
If you are interested, I'll look and see.
[email protected]

Actually, most people get along fine with a TH-350, especally in mud, and I've been preaching the 700R-4.
700R-4 has lower 1st gear, and a 0.93 over drive for highway usage in the age of $4 a gal. gasoline is something to consider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Official Historian

The 700R4 has a 0.70 overdrive ratio.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I know that I am going to swap in the Ford 302. It was just rebuilt. The C6 was also just rebuilt and is currently connected to the 302 in the full size 83 bronco. I would like to use the C6 since I already have it and could get away from the use of a clutch.
At the present time my 304 is connected to a T-150 bellhousing and a Ford T-18 and uses a Ford clutch and pressure plate. The T-18 was rebuilt less than 500 miles ago so I can use it if the C6 is going to be expensive and difficult to use.
I have read that the T-150 bellhousing will directly connect to the 302. I have my doubts but will find out when I pull the 302 from the Bronco and can accuratly measure everything. If I use a ford bellhousing with an external slave cylinder, it might make the T-18 usable for me.
It is pouring rain and it is expected to continue for several days due to the TS off the coast and I don't have a shop. I am too old to crawl around in mud if I don't have too.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Official Historian

I tried to find a C6 to dana 300 adapter for you but there isn't one from Novak or AA.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Veteran

Advance Adapters

http://www.advanceadapters.com/catalog/017.html

About $300 according to their catalog.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Spook2, thanks for the link and thanks for the other replies too.
The adapter for the C6 to Dana 20 TC is $648.00, plus I would have to change the output shaft. I have changed directions with this project so many times in the past 5 years that I hesitate to put more money in it than I have to. I have only started the engine once in the past 6 months because of the clutch issue and my knee. The Jeep has less than 500 miles on it since I completely rebuilt everything except the engine. I probably should sell it, but I won't.
I think I will stay with the Ford T-18 transmission and use a hydraulic clutch. Maybe that will be better for my knee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode