Do you have a 'Jeep', or a Dedicated Vehicle? - Page 5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Addict

Re: Do you have a \'Jeep\', or a Dedicated Vehicle?

Theres always the whiners...If you ask me thats what wrong with this country. Like you can say "I'm better since the med's" and someone else will say " I know someone who has to take meds every day and they're very very sick and I dont find that funny!" Or you could say I live with my girlfriend we've been together for 4 years" and someone might say " your living in sin your going to hell!" " I go to church every day and my preacher says its a sin to live together when your not married!" Things like that aggrivate me My mother said if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all. Good advise for whiners out there.
Someone call the waaaaaaaaambulance!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Now THERE is a guy that needs a pill! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #43 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

This one?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1449692-whammmbulance.jpg (26.8 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I've heard it all now! Someone actually agrees with me!
(Someone check to see if Hell is ready to ice skate on yet...

Yup,
I was talking with some friends (the kind of friends that publish magazines) this weekend at the street challenge, and there is a general consensus...
GP magazine has gone to hell in a hand basket for our point of view, and there is a pretty large (and rapidly growing) segment of Jeepers and other ORV guys that are just sick and tired of the 'Monster Machines'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think all that is somethng like it was when looking at a Lionel Trains catalogue when we were kids. The stuff that dreams are made of......

Dreams can be very 'pie in the sky' and expensive. Most of us learn that we have to make practical decisions when hobbies are part of of the total picture that is our lives with all the responsibilities that come with it.

What's the punch line of the old joke?....just because I'm not eating doesn't mean I can't look at the menu. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I can see your point; some people do take it too far for our tastes but that is their right. I can also understand where you are coming from on how they offer their 'advice'.

I think they would be much better if they drove their 4wds off road in stock condition for a good while, learning what mods are most important first (like proper tow points). Then they would be much better Jeep owners instead of what they have become.
post #45 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Addict

THAT is the best picture I have seen in a long time I'm going to download it and print one for my girlfriend who said she would like to bring it to work with her and one for me. I might make a billboard out of mine [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #46 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, don't knock 'em 'til you've tried 'em!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope I never have to. I have a buddy since grade school who developed bi-polar disorder several years ago. He shot up his brother's house with a 12-gauge and chased his brother and family across the field.

After several more years of bizarre behavior the justice system finally took him seriously. It cost him many thousands of dollars and four months in a mental institution. He's been out for almost a year now and apparently taking his meds, but he's not the guy he used to be - seems to be in a semi-stuporous state all the time.

As Rod Steiger said to Sidney Poitier in 'In the Heat of the Night', "No thank YEWWW!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't wish meds on anyone who does not need 'em... Unfortunately, MANY folks (more than you'll ever know) do need 'em... some just to be 'at more peace', others to keep 'em sufficiently 'in (self-)control' that they do not hurt others or themselves.

Some folks would call it "weak mindedness", "lack of character", or worse... I was one of them narrow-minded types, none-too-sympathetic to their plight until a few years ago, and the horrible reality of mental illness (and its effects) was thrust into my face. (Noooooo! I was NOT the 'ailing' one - though there are more than a few folks who may disagree! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] )

Honestly... until a person gets a personal, in-your-face, cannot-avoid-the-situation exposure to mental illness, I do not believe you can fully appreciate the situation of those thereby afflicted; caretakers, &/or close friends/family thereof. It is absolutely HORRIBLE for all involved... I lack the ability to succinctly describe it in the written word; it is just TERRIBLE. (As well, it dang-near makes patients of the caretakers... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] )

And as Larry very well states, meds are better than the 'icepick' frontal lobotomies of 50yrs ago, or the electro-shock treatment still being used. These latter treatment modalities basically reduce the 'patient' to a walking, breathing zombie, and not much else. Or, there is always the 'warehousing' approach that keeps the 'crazies' away from 'normal' folk (like us); with and w/o the icepicks &/or electroshocks. But, these 'traditional' treatments are very expensive in terms of both diminished (& that is putting a positive 'spin' on it!) lives and $$$$. (Most of them $$$$ are yours... taxes & insurance rates). IMHO, a <u>thoughtfully-tailored & administered</u> drug therapy is ultimately a MUCH less-expensive and more-humane solution to our ever-increasing mental health issues. One of the big problems I've personally observed is an over-tasked (&/or uncaring [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] pill-pushing) psychiatrist misdiagnosing, followed by misprescribing, and then unnecessarily creating (in many cases) &/or maintaining the "semi-stuperous state" earlier described. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] Another issue is the 'cocktail' (3, 4, 5, or more) of medicines resulting when the medicine A has unwanted side-effects which must then be treated by meds B & C, whose side-effects must be countered by meds D & E... and so on and so forth. (To put it in Jeep vernacular we all understand: 'tis much like wanting bigger tires on the Heep... tires -> lift & gearing -> beefier driveline, more power -> etc, etc, etc...)

Of course, an even better approach is to eliminate (as much as possible) the causation of mental illness... "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"-kinda thing. While Aaron may disagree, I'd suggest his 'get out in the country & away from the city (dwellers)' is actually a very effective method of treating his mental health 'issues'. Just me thinking aloud, but I do not think we had the mental & emotional issues (per capita/% of population) we currently 'enjoy' back when we were an overwhelmingly rural/agrarian society. Our 'progess' to city-life has, in many ways, become our downfall. (This also greatly affects our self-sufficiency, resilency, physical health and a host of other positive character traits.)

Hooboy! This post is turning into a soapbox-y drone... sorry. I could go on and on w/ what I've learned over the past 4yrs, but I won't. (Pls hold the [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif[/img] ) But, I will throw out this offer: If anyone would like to discuss this/these issue(s) off-line, I'd be glad to share what I know... or just listen. (E-mail or phone is fine by me.)

ADMONITION [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img] : If you or a loved one is beset w/ 'issues', don't try to 'go it alone'... get yourself some help - don't be too proud to seek it! Sometimes it takes some 'urging' to start the med therapy - for a host of reasons... but having been (past tense) on an a mild anti-depressent during a particularly trying time, it can REALLY make a BIG (positive)difference in the life of the patient as well as those around them.

Bottom line?... <font color="green">consider yourself blessed if you're (any of you) not in need of meds.</font>

Okay... I'm done! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #47 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 07:29 AM
Addict

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif[/img] MARINE!
post #48 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 07:49 AM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif[/img] MARINE!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well sure a psycho's going to agree with him!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/neener.gif[/img]
post #49 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

That's odd...
I didn't know I had "Mental Health Issues"...
I'm not sure I like the sound of that...!

I do have Mexican food issues (I eat too much of it!), and I have alternator bracket fabrication issues, and I have bad hair day issues, but I didn't know I had mental health issues...
------------------

I'm a country kid, and I'm former military.
I grew up on a real farm, horses, cows, pigs, dogs, cats, coons, skunks, pasture, corn, beans, wheat, cutting hay and silage, hunting, fishing, trapping.
You learn the difference between NEED and WANT pretty fast.
You also learn the difference between NEED and FLIGHTS OF PASSING FANCY.
EXAMPLE:
I NEED a general purpose Jeep.
I NEED to work so I can pay for cloths on my back and a roof over my head.

I WANT a $12,000 metal shear, break, punch machine so I don't have to drill and grind alternator bracket parts by hand...
NOW, you have to ask your self, is this alternator bracket worth $12,000?
(certainly not, but I'm still keeping the magazine open to the picture of the 'Metal Muncher'!)

I don't have big rocks to crawl (for no earthly reason I can see), I don't have all day/week/month to try and crawl those rocks I don't have, and I don't have $60,000 to modify beyond use the general purpose Jeep I *DO NEED* to go crawl those rocks...
**NO MATTER WHAT THE MAGAZINES & TV SHOWS SAY I SHOULD BE DOING**

I hear the competition argument all the time...
Unless you are one of the VERY FEW at the top of the heap, you are NEVER going to MAKE a penny doing competitions...
The manufacturers of the welder, lift kit, long arm kit, bead lock wheels, tires, fuel injection company, and so on ARE going to make money (what was yours), and the magazines are going to show you the 'Latest, Greatest, Must Have Improvement' ("only" another 5 or 10 grand!)...

--------------------

I think city folks loose track of the way things should be.
And protecting kids gone wrong is probably guilt for not raising their kids and teaching them right from wrong.

If the local punk crew decides to break into your garage, it shouldn't be your fault for having a door with a window in it they could break out to gain entry.
Step up and take responsibility, point the finger AT THE GUILTY...
and the world is a much brighter, if not nicer place.

Around here, if a guy screws up, and says, "I screwed up",
WE FIX THE PROBLEM, NOT THE BLAME.
The guy already took blame, and you can't put sh!t back in a donkey, so why beat him up?

No matter how much it cost, (and that's a tough nut to swallow sometimes...)
We say, "Did you learn any thing?"...
Followed by, "Are you going to do it again?"
Now we have a guy that is MUCH smarter than he was before, and a better man for it.

It's usually a good idea to take them out to a steak lunch and do a failure analysis.
Steak so he knows this is a clinical autopsy of the accident/problem and not a personal guilt session, and failure analysis to see if there is a way to keep future accidents of similar nature from happening.
Usually, the guys are all into this, they REALLY like being part of a good solution.
--------------------

As far as mental illness goes, I've seen it up close and personal....
Mental illness needs treated, but I'm NOT an expert, so I don't have any comment on the subject.

I am an expert on my chosen fields, Guns, Knives, Automotives, Sustainable Living, ect.
And in being an "Expert", I fully realize how much I DON'T know about the subjects.
(The difference between Ignorance of a subject and being an Expert of a subject is realizing how much you don't know... The more you learn, the more you find out you don't know)

Only in the past few decades have they not treated mental illness like a religious problem, instead of a medical problem.
It's going to take Doctors much smarter than me to figure out the causes/treatments and hopefully, find a cure for most of it.
post #50 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 11:17 AM

Aaron, I'm sorry I cranked up such a big response with my friendly little poke at your signature. I screwed up. Where's my steak? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But if this helps a few people have another think about mental illness it will be a good thing. I have been so close to it with my buddy that I got a restraining order, and that was as tough a decision as any I've ever had to make. My analysis reached the conclusion that he was beyond my help, but that my family and I could be in significant danger.

My "No thank YEWWW" comment is an admission that I have seen mental illness, and deeply hope that I and my loved ones are spared its effects. In my buddies case, apparently there is no cure for him. The best scenario would be that he will faithfully take his meds, abstain from alcohol consumption, and maybe - maybe - he will grow out of it by the time he is an old man. Before then, if he quits his meds or takes up heavy drinking again, he will almost certainly not become an old man.

It is indeed a sad thing to watch, and scary to be close to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode