Do you have a 'Jeep', or a Dedicated Vehicle? - Page 4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Re: Do you have a \'Jeep\', or a Dedicated Vehicle?

Well, I've heard it all now! Someone actually agrees with me!
(Someone check to see if Hell is ready to ice skate on yet...[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Yup,
I was talking with some friends (the kind of friends that publish magazines) this weekend at the street challenge, and there is a general consensus...
GP magazine has gone to hell in a hand basket for our point of view, and there is a pretty large (and rapidly growing) segment of Jeepers and other ORV guys that are just sick and tired of the 'Monster Machines'.

I heard talk of a new magazine that might see the light of day that is directed at the 'Weekend Trail Rider' crowd.
I hope it does see the light of day...
--------------

If a magazine could be sustained on subscription fees, instead of relying on 'Monster Machine' parts manufacturers money, we could have a neutral objective point of view in a magazine... But that AIN'T going to happen any time soon!
But keeping us consuming the "newest, latest, greatest" whatever is what pays the manufacturers, and they pay the magazine bills...

And if you publish an article questioning the *NEED* for any particular high dollar item, or heaven forbid, show how to make your own part for just a few bucks instead of buying aforementioned high dollar item, then the guys pull their ads, and you are stuck...
No money and pissed off advertisers...
(Aren't WE, the CUSTOMERS supposed to fit in there somewhere?... What's wrong with this picture?.... When did WE start paying for advertisements instead of useable information?)
--------------

The guys were telling me what it costs (more to the point, how much costs have gone up) to publish a magazine...
Better them than me is all I can tell you!
--------------

On the brighter side...
I hear several talk about getting together somewhere locally...
If you all decide on a general location and time, PLEASE make it a town with a HOOTERS!
Even I'll show up at Hooters!
---------------

For the guys that sill want a deal on parts, and would like to have parts (if possible) that say 'Jeep' or 'AMC' on them, Collins Brothers Jeep has some new items on their 'New Old Stock' (NOS for the spelling challenged like me) on their web site.
I just got a NOS steering box from them for the '73 for $125 (no core!) and everybody else wanted $200 (and up!) and at least $175 core charge.
---------------

Does anyone have a direct line to Crown replacement parts for Jeep?
I'm sick to death of having to go through places like JC Whittney and pay 20 times what I should have to, and wait 6 weeks for switches and stuff...

Wonder if there is any money in being a dealer for Crown and others...?
Probably not, tight asses like me will do what I'm doing, and find a way around the markup..
---------------

Anyone have any more comments/ opinions/ rants/ raves/ general information or (constructive) complaints?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I've heard it all now! Someone actually agrees with me!

[/ QUOTE ]
Pop used to say "Even a blind hog will find an occasional acorn." [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I used to be TeamRush, but I'm much better with medication...

[/ QUOTE ]
You are much better since the meds kicked in. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just tired of people telling ME what I should do with MY Jeep...

[/ QUOTE ]
That doesn't happen to me very often, probably because I don't get out much, (meds, you know) but I don't let it bother me. Free advice is worth every penny, and I take it for what it's worth.

[ QUOTE ]
And what's up with 10000 watt stereos in Jeeps??

[/ QUOTE ]
Puzzles me, too. Ah dunno.

[ QUOTE ]
I have fun and enjoy the trails I run and if that means that I don't take the more extreme stuff then so be it, I'm happy and thats all that counts...

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldn't have said it better. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif[/img]
post #33 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to be TeamRush

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering where you got off to... Glad you're back. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Your posts have helped many folks... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

--------------

I guess I should reply to this post while I'm here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My jeeps are supposed to be disassembled this fall/winter. I'm finally stretching the cj and adding a diesel and throwing the body on a wagoneer chassis. Once its back together it will be my DD/work vehicle if it handles the trailer alright. If not it should still replace my 96 Ram CTD for about 50% of my driving. I'm hoping for better mileage and driveability with the diesel. Maybe the fuel savings (at $3+ per gallon) will help make up the extra expense of having an extra vehicle around.

So yeah, it will eventually be a utility/DD vehicle, not an 'xtreme' jeep. I don't care about wild trails, rather more about camping and driving rough roads, with the occasional mild trail thrown in. As far as being a work vehicle, I need something that can access remote areas with a chipper in tow, so it has to be narrow and nimble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 08:32 AM
Official Historian

Go to Crown's website and look at their distributor list for your state.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Mud in my Veins

I have to say that mine falls somewhere in the middle...

While it is SOA, welded in the rear, winch, full of tools/parts/spares, caged, & bumpered for offroad... it is completely drivable up to 70mph and the bumpers (complete with "YOUR My Crumple Zone" vinyl from Crazy8 Graphics) *DO* send a statement to the "Mercedes/BMW/Yuppie crowd" when in town. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I rarely drive it on pavement except for the monthly local 4x4 get-together 3 miles from the house, when needed on various wheeling trips, and *ALWAYS* when the occasional snow hits... despite the fact that I have no softop (only a bikini top) and the OEM hardtop has only been twice in the past 3 years (once to relocate and once when the cage was fabbed)... However, I could easily drive it daily (once the flat Swamper is pumped back up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ), but choose a much more economical means to get my arse to/from work (27mpg city is better than 10mpg!). Other than those times, it's safely snuggled into one half of my garage, while the DD, towrig, & trailer fight the elements...

So, you tell me... Jeep or Deicated? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #36 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 10:51 AM

Mossy is dedicated to being a Jeep...good in my book.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Can't Get Enough

[quote[...]
[ QUOTE ]
I used to be TeamRush, but I'm much better with medication...

[/ QUOTE ]
You are much better since the meds kicked in. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
[...]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhhh.... yeessss.... "meds". "Don't leave home without 'em!" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bow.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bag.gif[/img] (BTW, don't knock 'em 'til you've tried 'em! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img] )
post #38 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, don't knock 'em 'til you've tried 'em!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope I never have to. I have a buddy since grade school who developed bi-polar disorder several years ago. He shot up his brother's house with a 12-gauge and chased his brother and family across the field.

After several more years of bizarre behavior the justice system finally took him seriously. It cost him many thousands of dollars and four months in a mental institution. He's been out for almost a year now and apparently taking his meds, but he's not the guy he used to be - seems to be in a semi-stuporous state all the time.

As Rod Steiger said to Sidney Poitier in 'In the Heat of the Night', "No thank YEWWW!"
post #39 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Way Outta Control

[ QUOTE ]
After several more years of bizarre behavior the justice system finally took him seriously. It cost him many thousands of dollars and four months in a mental institution. He's been out for almost a year now and apparently taking his meds, but he's not the guy he used to be - seems to be in a semi-stuporous state all the time.

As Rod Steiger said to Sidney Poitier in 'In the Heat of the Night', "No thank YEWWW!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Meds sure beat the ol' Ice Pick Therapy, which was at one time the only alternative.

Remember the ol' phrase: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than have a frontal lobotomy.

Thank heavens for Medications! Don't leave home without 'em!
post #40 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

The tag line is a joke, but a lot of people take it seriously... OK with me!

I'm much better since I got a place out of town to tinker...
I don't have much use for people in general, and I don't have ANY use for city people at all...
---------

Around here, if the local punks spray paint your garage, steal your tools, and tear up what they can't steal....

IT'S YOUR FAULT FOR NOT HAVING BETTER LOCKS ON THE DOORS!!!

God forbid if you catch one of the little bastards and he gets skinned up in the process...
---------

Several years back, I had a guy in Miami try and rob me at gun point, and I hit him in the head with a hammer.
I got sued and it took nearly 9 years to settle all of the legal issues.
(He's robbing no one now, eats soup through a straw, loves to color but can't stay in the lines...
Probably cheaper on welfare than in prison anyway...)
----------

I don't want to go there ....
Let's talk about something else!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode