Do you have a 'Jeep', or a Dedicated Vehicle? - Page 3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 01:45 PM

Re: Do you have a \'Jeep\', or a Dedicated Vehicle?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah mines dedicated, dedicated to get me were I want to go whenever I want to go there and get back. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

OK, here is what bugs me. Itís these summer flower jeeps that only come out when the sun shines. I use to drive my jeep around all year summer, winter, rain or shine. Now when the orange cones go away so do all the modified jeeps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhhh, you mean like this guy. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[image][/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, Pennies from heaven. Makes me want to go out and mount my plow. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 03:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There are 3 basic types of trail rig owners...Within each group, the extent of mods will vary.

Newbies - Some have bone stock vehicles, others might have a new Rubicon. If the wife does not divorce them, they become one of the below.....

Experienced - Some guys are running bone stock jeeps, but know the limitations and know how to drive them....Others are running modified or so modified that the only reason it's called a jeep is because it started off as one in a previous life. These guys are usually more interested in hearing advice or seeing what you have...and more than willing to show off what they have (when asked) as well as lend a helping hand. Usually found in small grougs of 2-3, off away from everyone else doing their own thing. They are also the ones that will pull you 5 miles back out of the trail.

Wanabies - Once again, the jeep can be stock or supper modified....in most cases, the highly modified ones usually contain 'bolt on' hardware, and the mods are usally done by someone else (they take it to a shop and pay to have it done). One reason they don't know how to fix it on the trail. Easy to recognize....they go to where the crowds are so they can show off their rigs and tell you what you should be doing to yours. (Aaron, I would say this is the type you are complaining about). Type most likely to end up divorced.

I saw a good example of all 3 last year when my family and I were trail guids at the West coast Camp Jeep. The wife's cherokee was down (and my CJ in a 1000 pieces) so I rented a new GC with the V8. I had two trail helpers, one was driving a Cherokee with about 6" of lift. Nicest guy in the world...would do anything you asked. The other was driving a Liberty that had every single item you could bolt on. He spent more time telling me what I was doing wrong or should be doing. He couldn't undderstand why I (who was driving a stock jeep) was trail leader when he who had the 'bling' mobile was not.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast

My CJ-7 is no longer my daily driver since I regeared it (4.27's) but it is my backup.

I do let it sit outdoors all by it's self but a couple of cranks to get gas to the carb and it fires right up.

I flat tow it to most trails since I don't like pulling 3k rpm's for long trips.

I have replaced the body four years ago and just finished replacing the frame. The interior has never seen Toledo and the frame doesn't say AMC or even Willy's but it is still my Jeep.

Yes, it has some bling, I live in the rust belt so all hinges are shiney stainless steel and were not sold by Steelhorse. Most of the non-structural bolts are also SS but all structural bolts are Grade 8. Did I ever mention that I hate rust?

When the snow gets deep, I like to go out and play. My wife wonders why I like to drive a drafty, cold, noisy machine during declared snow emergencies. I just tell her it's a Jeep. She just shakes her head and wonders why grown men like to drive old Jeeps and wave at each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Veteran

I use my TJ as a daily driver. I have a 3" lift and 32" tires. I think it is the perfect compromise. It is a somewhat comfortable family hauler and can still handle the mild trails and sand dunes that I ocassionally throw at it. I also have not thrown a bunch of money into it. But if that is your thing...knock yourself out! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #25 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

I dunno... Maybe for the same reason we like to ride old Harleys around and wave at each other...
(I dunno why we do that either... You think Jeeps are expensive!)

I DID add one of Jay Anger's SWB*BBS stickers to the new Jeep... (Is that bling?)
I figure that had to add at LEAST 15 horsepower and 25 lb.ft. torque! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anybody else going to chime in? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #26 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

MY CJ was my Daily Driver for about 3-4years. drove around on 32" mud tires, stock axles with One pieces and a lock right in the rear. swapped in a T-18, installed a cage, and a few little changes here and there, like ignition adn what not. I drove it to and from the trails about 4-5 a year. Only missed a few days of driving it work even after wheeling it. nothing too harsh on wheeling though.

now I have a '93 ZJ for a DD that has a 3.5" lift and 31 BFG/MTs that I DD and take my little girl wheeling in. nothing too tough with it though, d35 and all.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] But it allowed me to build the CJ now. bigger axles, SOA and 36 TSLs.... still waiting to finish a couple little things before wheeling it (damn I need some time to get to that.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ).

So is my Jeep Dedicated or General purpose? right now my CJ is dedicated.. dedicated to sitting until I finish it. the ZJ is general purpose until the CJ gets done. I gotta stop beating my Dd up like I have the last couple times out...
post #27 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Addict

[ QUOTE ]
She just shakes her head and wonders why grown men like to drive old Jeeps and wave at each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell her there are old women out here who drive old Jeeps and wave too. I love my Jeep and Jim loves his . His and her's trail rigs. I have a 3 1/2in lift front locker,31' tires, 30 lbs of Bondo and several stickers to hold it together! Is Bondo considered "BLING"? I also drive it to work most day's. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #28 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
My peeve is when I see a "Jeep" with a chevy engine, rockwell axles, aftermarket or tubed frame, aftermarket trans. and transfer case, etc. and the only thing Jeep on it is the grill, it has to be trailered everyplace it goes, and the owner insists its a Jeep. Its a Jeepenstein. If the only thing Jeep is the grill, it is no longer a Jeep!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but I went over this years ago. If it still has the front clip, it is a Jeep.
The rest can be tube. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #29 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
I DID add one of Jay Anger's SWB*BBS stickers to the new Jeep... (Is that bling?)
I figure that had to add at LEAST 15 horsepower and 25 lb.ft. torque! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, you only get the additional horse power with the new and improved SWB sticker! as seen here in the top right corner...
post #30 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Addict

That just about brought a tear to my eye. I couldnt have said it better myself. Bravo Junkyard you may not hear it but you are recieving a standing ovation right now. That was the most beautiful segment I have ever read about Jeep's in my life. perhaps its the focus on the monster machines in the magazines that has led these people astray. I love my jeep stock with some tech upgrades like you said. dont need a monster truck just dont wanna get stuck in the mud or snow [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] keep it up and thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode