Do you have a 'Jeep', or a Dedicated Vehicle? - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 09:15 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Do you have a \'Jeep\', or a Dedicated Vehicle?

My peeve is when I see a "Jeep" with a chevy engine, rockwell axles, aftermarket or tubed frame, aftermarket trans. and transfer case, etc. and the only thing Jeep on it is the grill, it has to be trailered everyplace it goes, and the owner insists its a Jeep. Its a Jeepenstein. If the only thing Jeep is the grill, it is no longer a Jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I totally understand what you are saying.. It really is all about what you do with your jeep and what your jeep needs to accomplish that task.
I DO need some of the things you do not.
I need fuel injection. Carbs will not climb reliably at the angles and altitude I go out here.
I need lower gears in my transfer case. hard core rock gardens out here eat my jeep alive at the speed I am currently crawling... and I have 4.56 gears, 4.09/1 1st gear and 2.72/1 low range.

with that said.. there are guys out here running carbs and stock gears.. though they aren't happy about it.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 10:18 AM

Yeah mines dedicated, dedicated to get me were I want to go whenever I want to go there and get back. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

OK, here is what bugs me. Itís these summer flower jeeps that only come out when the sun shines. I use to drive my jeep around all year summer, winter, rain or shine. Now when the orange cones go away so do all the modified jeeps.

Itís too cold, itís too squirrelly. I have yet to see one other CJ or YJ around here in the winter. The occasional TJ still runs around but all the other guys give up. Whatís with that? My jeep is not a toy but a tool. Maybe thatís the difference.

I canít be happier than with a jeep that can cruise through the unplowed winter roads (thatís my job anyway) or rolling around in a thunderstorm with the spray coming through the doors, feeling the weather. Maybe thatís what I like, the feel of the weather inside the jeep. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Since the gas prices have risen my jeep sits a lot longer but I still expect it to start right away and go out and battle the elements.

"Neither rain nor hail nor sleet nor snow nor heat of day nor dark of night shall keep this jeep from the swift completion of its appointed rounds." [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 10:34 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

So how is the Dana axle in a Jeep more 'Jeep' than the Dana axle in a Ford? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Wasn't there something like a Ford emblem on the stock ignition box on a CJ, or something like that? (Sorry, I forget the details.) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

How about the Pugeot tanny on a YJ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

What if I buy aftermarket seats? Am I no longer in a Jeep? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

So you're saying we should all keep Pugeot trannys, Dana35s, and carbureted 6 cylinders because that's what Jeep put in? Yikes. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

""""If you are east of the Mississippi river, you are probably wheeling close enough to a highway or town to throw a rock and hit a street light"""

Ever been to Maine? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] It's a pretty big place. GPS is a great tool.

I think you're right with most of your comments though.

The only thing I'll tell people they should do is when they need to borrow my tire plug kit, or a u-joint...

"Umm... you really should carry one of those, man."

Or when the guy with the swapped 360ci and the stock Dana35 on 35s broke....

"Umm... you might want to think about upgrading that rear axle."

To me, a 360 with a stock dana35 is not the brightest move, so I wouldn't hold back politely telling him that he should think about upgrading the axle.

Just my $0.02
Pete
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Yup, exactly,
He should think about it, not "You have GOT to get new axles or you're NEVER going to get serious"... "...You'll NEVER make it without this thing-a-ma-jig or that doo-dad..."...

Especially annoying when he's running the exact same trails I've been rattling around on for 15 years...

And that's always the same guy we wind up lending tools to, or setting back on his wheels, or airing up his tires...
--------------

I have found a use for the CO2 bottles some of the guys here go on and on about...
with one you can MIG or TIG weld on the trail!
It's not the best looking weld, but it's solid and sound. That IS a reason to have one...
--------------

I'm more into cup holders & suspension seats than having skulls, snakes, spiders, four letter words and any word with the letter 'X' in it painted on my jeep.
(if I see one more ORV with 'Xtreme' on it I'm going to snap!)

I'm into being able to run a drop light, angle grinder and weld up something that has broken, fallen off, cracked open, ect. than I am having matching paint logo, soft top logo, head rag logo, and parts sticker arrangement...

To each their own!
post #16 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Can't Get Enough

My jeep servers multiple purposes....its my daily driver, its my trail rig, its a grocery getter, a taxi to tkae my daughter back and forth to school, etc. etc. and thats just the way I like it....

I have people come up to me all the time when I'm out on a run or whatever and tell me I need to put on a long arm XX" lift and this and that, and when I tell them I'm not doing that anytime soon because I'm spending money on armor, etc. they look at me like I'm crazy.

Thats primarily because they think it needs to have big 'ol tires and sit way up high in order to be a Jeep....

For the types of trails I run, the most I need is a 33" tire for now (currently still running 31's),

I don't take my rig up real extreme stuff since its my daily driver and I can't afford to beat it to hell. So far its got me where ever I wanted to go with little or no problems, so I like it just fine and am content with having a multi-purpose vehicle.

I have fun and enjoy the trails I run and if that means that I don't take the more extreme stuff then so be it, I'm happy and thats all that counts...
post #17 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 12:04 PM

And what's up with 10000 watt stereos in Jeeps??

I like my music and I need it loud but not to were it's blasting the guy 4 vehicals behind me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I just put my first radio (AM) in a jeep this summer.

Oh well.. I was crazy once...
post #18 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 12:20 PM

My 82 CJ7 is a reliable gereral purpose Jeep. I can let it sit for months and when i want to use it it starts up in a few cranks. My engine is original with about 140,000 miles on it. Still has great compression and of coarse leaks a little oil. I still have the Carter BBD and for 99% of trails i run it works just fine. Still have all emission stuff and it passes the test every two years with flying colors. The springs probably need to be replaced or refurbished. The plastic bushings between each leaf has cracked and fallen out. I need to replace the floor boards - it's starting to look like Fred Flintstones car.

For the most part it is bone stock. I've upgraded the ignition, added rear lunch box lockers and the PO put on some greasable shackles. I have a 5 speed tranny to put in and a few other fixes to do.

Looking at your list i see a few additions i could make. Is that redundant fan electrical?
post #19 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Veteran

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah mines dedicated, dedicated to get me were I want to go whenever I want to go there and get back. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

OK, here is what bugs me. Itís these summer flower jeeps that only come out when the sun shines. I use to drive my jeep around all year summer, winter, rain or shine. Now when the orange cones go away so do all the modified jeeps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhhh, you mean like this guy. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

post #20 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Can't Get Enough

Holy BRRRRRR Batman, thats a little too cold for me to drive around without a top, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode