OT - Vehicle Insurance - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

OT - Vehicle Insurance

Just curious who you guys have your insurance with and whether they cover "Off Pavement" coverage. I currently have Geico and I read on another board that they will not cover your vehicle if it has a winch.

I called them to verify this and also asked them if they covered off pavement use. They advised they will not cover my vehicle if I have a winch and that they will cover my vehicle for off pavement if its a road that leads to a camp site or similar ( I told them I use the jeep to get to remote camping areas, etc.) They said I would have to prove I was going to a camp site and that the agent would go to the site where I had the accident to verify I was not abusing my vehicle.

Most of the places I go around here are designated ORV use. Some have camping off the trail, some don't. Some are ORV Parks, which would likely cancel me out on a claim right away.

So I am trying to find an insurance company that will insure my vehicle even if it has after market accessories (lift, winch, etc.) and one that also understands that the jeep is built for trail riding. I am willing to pay the extra if thats what it takes to cover my vehicle, I just haven't found any yet, so far one of the first questions asked is if the jeep is modified, has over sized tires, etc. (which I don't , yet).

Have you guys found an insurance company that will cover your jeep if it has been modified and used for occasional off road recreation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT - Vehicle Insurance

What if a vehicle comes factory with a winch? can you not insure it?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Don't know, didn't ask that question, but according to them if it has a winch its not insured. I think it would be difficult for them to say no if you got it from the factory, but since its considered a "Dealer Add-on" and not a factory add-on they probably wouldn't cover it????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 11:13 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Kerry, I am insured with Safeco Ins. Co. and in April I was offroad and got into water deeper than I thought. I ruined my engine and had to have a new one. Safeco paid every dime under my comprehensive. Had a $200 deductable and they covered the rest $3,500). My agent warned me that the adjuster would try to get out of paying, but unless your policy has a disclaimer that they will not cover offroad activity you should be alright. They do not cover competition.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I'd guess that Geico has enough business that they don't need to insure vehicles with winches, if they're factory or not. I'm insured through Allstate, and my agent has seen my Jeep and knows whats on it. He knows its lifted, big tires, winch, etc. and he had no problem insuring it. I have a good driving record and no accidents in the past few years. The only thing against me is I'm only 23 and unmarried, so my rates are not low but not high. As for trail riding, I don't know what they'll cover. It all depends on your agent and the adjuster willing to let things slide.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 11:47 AM

My State Farm agent and their adjusters have seen my Jeep several times, and none has ever said anything about the winch. It's not lifted and has 31" tires.

I'm currently working with my agent to set up a "stated value" policy, since it is restored and worth considerably more than the average 27-year-old CJ. I've never asked about trail damage, but will next time we talk.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Mud in my Veins

All our vehicles (mimi-van, Camry, F250, & Moss), home, & business liability are insured thru Erie via local agent. We get a decent discount off HO because they also insure the vehicles. My wife, the ultimate "bargain hunter".. checked identical coverage (both auto & HO) with all the trendy places, and a several independant "friends" in the insurance biz... nobody could touch Erie.

Our agent sat down with us on several occasions to go over a questionaire that let's them know specifically what each vehicle is used for and has even banged his thigh on the Moss' bumper (it's not that high...just he's that short [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) on one visit to look over our property. He's about the most anal insurance person I've ever met and never batted an eye when told "I put the cage in after a side flop in Mtn.City". OTOH, being that it's 33 y/o, I only have liability on it, so no matter to them where I go or what I do with it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

KP, if you'd like his contact info (pretty sure he'd capable of doing your area), I highly recommend him.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 07:05 PM

State Farm has been covering my Jeep for years. They even paid a claim for a new winch cable and roller fairlead.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 07:56 PM
JMZ
Journeyman

My wife works with State Farm. She says SFI will cover it all, all you have to do is ask them. I have my jeep insured for 8k, my friend has his cj8 insured for 15k. She says you have to show receipts for stuff like winches and also take pics of them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
My wife works with State Farm. She says SFI will cover it all, all you have to do is ask them. I have my jeep insured for 8k, my friend has his cj8 insured for 15k. She says you have to show receipts for stuff like winches and also take pics of them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gonzales Texas, Huh? Up to a year ago, I lived right up the road in Smithville (Actually closer to Rosanky). Good to see some home town guys on here.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode