I thought chevy were the good guys :( - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

I thought chevy were the good guys :(

Got the exhaust all sealed up this afternoon, everything going well.. climb in the jeep to back it up.. it ran for like 30 seconds then died.. tried to restart it.. over and over.. popped the hood..

Everything looks good... start with the basics.
Air-Check
Fuel-Check
Spark-...

Spark-...

SPARK-... Uh.. thats a negative.

check the live side of the coil - Check.

HEI coil.. great.. rush to the parts store at 6:00 on a holiday.. get in with seconds to spare.. the guy locked the door behind me.. they had a coil.. rushed it home installed it.. $59.. OUCH

Cranked it.

nothing.

Thankfully HEI is really simple... if theres 12V to the coil.. theres something wrong in the coil, the module, or the cap.

Well the cap looks all good, and the coil is good. so its gotta be the module.

if its not one thing its another [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Oh well, im trying to get my hands on a whole nothing distributor so I have some spare parts.. should cost less too.. see if I can clean up the coil so its returnable.

Am I right in assuming its the module? As long as the coil is good.. which it should be.. the only thing left is the module.. and all HEI stuff should be fairly interchangable right?

Thats just my rant.. this stuff happens to everyone else right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 08:03 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: I thought chevy were the good guys :(

As far as I know, the coils and modules between the 6 cyl and 8 cyl HEIs are the same.

I've got an HEI in my 258, and I carry a full spare dist in my parts box. You can swap the caps in no time, which gives you a different coil, and the module is an easy swap.

Most of the time you can pick up an HEI dizzy at a swap meet for $10, so I can see the pain in $60 for a coil. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] I've got 2 or 3 in the garage somewhere.

The 6 cyls dizzys are hard to come by nowadays, but an 8 cyl should give the key spare components.

Good luck
Pete
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:30 PM

Chevy were never the 'Good Guys', ...
They were the Cheap Guys... And the Plentiful Guys....

Look at the parts store for about a '76 HEI distributor cap for a pickup with I-6 to go on your distributor. If it has a coil wire terminal in the middle, that's your baby.
That will give you a remotely located ignition coil, and you can use what ever type of ignition coil you choose.
Remotely locating the ignition coil fixes a lot of other problems the HEI distributor had.

Factory internal parts for the I-6 HEI distributors are getting harder to find daily...
But there are a lot of V-8 parts that will interchange...
The lower half of the magnetic trigger will interchange, just keep the six pointed trigger ring at the top of the mag trigger, and DON'T OVER TIGHTEN!
You'll crack the magnet ring and the trigger ring. Use a little locktite on the screws and just snug them up.

The module from any of the early I-4, I-6, or V-8's will interchange, as long as it's a 4 connector module.
Don't forget to clean off and reattach the ground that attaches to one of the bolt holes.
Don't forget to use a heat transfer paste, or at least dielectric grease under the module to transfer heat, or you get to walk to the parts store for another module...
Radio Shack sells small tubes of "Heat Sink Compound" P/N 276-1372A, that runs circles around just using dielectric grease. The stuff is silicone base, so it doesn't dry up or get displaced by moisture...

Internal wiring harness will interchange, but you may have to splice in longer leads if you remote the coil.
Dorman still makes the I-4 & I-6 wiring with correct plugs, but the part numbers escape me now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to mention this is a 305. So a V8 one is the ticket.

I've got the instructions here on how to test the module/pickup/coil.. gonna run through those today, and then see if I can get some replacements.

Good to know that a 4 pin module will work from any cyl engine, doesn't have to be V8.. do you know if the pickup is the same?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:55 PM

Pick up coil was the same in all V-8 engines up to a few years ago...
So are vacuum advance, advance springs, caps & rotors, coils, ect.
All still available in plentiful supply at the local discount auto parts stores.

Module differences were basically to allow meddling of emissions and 'computers'...

Any module from a distributor with a vacuum advance should pretty much work.
Try a '79 Impala with a V-8, that should do the trick.
Any 4 connector module will work.

Corvette and police cars used the same module for several years, but I really haven't tried to find one for 15 years...
Don't know if they still make separate modules for them or not any more.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 08:23 PM

Good....?? decent
Easy to work on..?? oh yea.

Maybe the chevy gods juat hate you. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/neener.gif[/img]
Thas why there are ford and mopar guys too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

JK

Has happened to all of us at one time or other that have turned a fair amount of wrenches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode